'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will go with around 11 wins.
I could see that happening if we lose on the road to Wake and Clemson, or lay some eggs in the OOC. For that matter, Wake may be a load for us at home as well as on the road. We need for a lot of stuff to go right, and for some of our opponents to not play well when they face us. Defense and rebounding will be huge this season. I don't expect us to score any more than last year. Maybe less. And, we were a turnover machine in stretches last season, which contributed to our poor offense.

If you are right, and we win only 11 games, BG may not be our coach in April. I think we are approaching a crossroads in our basketball program. We were once a power in the ACC, and that era is gone. This may be the season that brings that home to the admin. If we cannot win half our games when a third of them are hand-picked, something has to change.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I just can't do the W/L thing this season. My poor little heart can't take it. I'm just gonna take it one game at a time. Let's just beat the mutts and go from there.

@Ramblingon I don't think 17 wins gets anyone a sniff at the NIT. IIRC they changed their entrance requirements.

Agreed on the 17 wins/NIT thing. Like I said...just being optimistic overall. NIT is the only goal I can see at this point.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I could have easily landed on 11 as well. We usually win one game we are not supposed to. I don't see a lot of those on the schedule, MAYBE FSU at home if they lay an egg. But I went with Syracuse at home intead. I don't think the Orange are going to be very good this year. But, I said that last year too.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see how we could ever possibly get 11 wins

We have guaranteed wins in:
A A&M
IPFW
USC Up
App St
Charlotte
Marquette/Rider

That there puts us at 6 wins. If we win the same amount of conference games as the last 2 years thats another 6 wins. That puts us at 12 wins and thats assuming we lose to Dayton, Vandy, 2 Orlando Classic games, and Georgia

--------------------

Personally, I don't know what to expect this season, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I like what I'm hearing about the work our guys have put in this summer and fall and I like what I'm hearing about how we're meshing together. I personally love the talent we're going to have this year, but we'll have to wait and see on how we mesh as a team. I think our floor is maybe 13 or 14 wins, but I don't think 20 wins is that outrageous.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I am sorry, but I don't see that many guaranteed wins.

I am not buying the off-season stuff from this anymore...will believe it when I see it.

Just looking at the roster it is very had to be optimistic at all, and add to that I am not impressed with the in game coaching of Gregory.

I really don't think this team is as good as last years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Guaranteed wins?

I'll give you "probable" but in the last 4 years we have tried very hard at some point in every single game to lose.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a pretty reasonable prediction that would put us at 17 wins, now add/minus 3 wins and i think we get a range of about 14-20 wins. I am being optimistic here obviously

W - uga
W - alabama a
W - ipfw
W - orlando
L - orlando
L - orlando
W - northwestern
W - usc upstate
W - app state
L - vandy
W - dayton
W - charlotte
L - ND
L - cuse
W - wake
W - ND
L - pitt
L - uva
W - BC
L - miami
W - nc state
L - duke
W - wake
W - VT
W - fsu
W - clemson
L - UNC
L - louisville
L - clemson
L - unc

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Guaranteed wins?

I'll give you "probable" but in the last 4 years we have tried very hard at some point in every single game to lose.

These are teams that are ranked in the 300's in RPI by the end of the season. Our program may not be in great shape, but if we're losing to one of those teams, we may as well kill the program. It would take a miracle to lose one of those games and no chance we're losing two. If that happens then there's no way we'll be getting a double digit win total and my expectations will have been entirely wrong

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We will not beat ND. They get Grant back and Demetrious Jackson is going to have a big year.

And I don't see this team winning 4 in a row during acc play. Especially with freshman back court

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
We will not beat ND. They get Grant back and Demetrious Jackson is going to have a big year.

And I don't see this team winning 4 in a row during acc play. Especially with freshman back court

ND lost Sherman and Atkins though. I've seen them predicted to be around 10th in the ACC this season, not much better than they were last year. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to beat them

Also, is it really a "fresman back court"? Jorgenson may have missed last season but he's been in the program for a year, not to mention Heyward will be getting a lot of minutes at PG and he's obviously got experience. And like coaches say, by the end of the season freshman aren't really "freshman" anymore

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Before I make any calls on toss-ups, luck, etc., here's who I've got us beating. I'll read all these responses later. Glad to see the activity though.

1. UGA
  2. AL A&M
  3. IPFW
  4. MARQ
  5. Northwestern
  6. USC Upstate
  7. App State
  8. Vandy
  9. Charlotte
  10. Cuse
  11. ND (at home)
  12. BC
  13. NC State
  14. Wake (at home)
  15. VT
  16. Clemson (at home)
We could lose a couple of these, get lucky in some tougher ones. I think we've got a good crack to get to the 19-20 win mark I'm calling BG's safety mark.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Before I make any calls on toss-ups, luck, etc., here's who I've got us beating. I'll read all these responses later. Glad to see the activity though.

1. UGA
  2. AL A&M
  3. IPFW
  4. MARQ
  5. Northwestern
  6. USC Upstate
  7. App State
  8. Vandy
  9. Charlotte
  10. Cuse
  11. ND (at home)
  12. BC
  13. NC State
  14. Wake (at home)
  15. VT
  16. Clemson (at home)
You clearly think BG is safe at 19 wins. Me, too. What do you think is the floor he has to reach or is almost definitely gone? Eric says he will get only eleven wins. My opinion is that he may be out of his job before season's end if we are playing that poorly.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

1. UGA
  2. AL A&M
  3. IPFW
  4. MARQ
  5. Northwestern
  6. USC Upstate
  7. App State
  8. Vandy
  9. Charlotte
  10. Cuse
  11. ND (at home)
  12. BC
  13. NC State
  14. Wake (at home)
  15. VT
  16. Clemson (at home)
We could lose a couple of these, get lucky in some tougher ones. I think we've got a good crack to get to the 19-20 win mark I'm calling BG's safety mark.

Surprised to see you have NCST in there as a W. I have us winning the two prior games and just couldn't see 3 in a row. Again, another team with a strong (probably 3 guard) back court in Barber, Lacey and Turner. Beejay Anya also looks like he has dropped some LBs and could get back to what made him such a good prospect.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I probably shot from the hip on NC State, but 1) I think we're kinda due against them at home after last year & 2) I think our guard play will be better & more competitive this year. Cat Barber has to show me he can run the team before I believe it.

Also, let's face it, this team has to show they can gut wins out. Just because I think we'll win a game, doesn't mean I don't think it will be a close, tough win.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We're not the only team with a lot of question marks this year, which may be why @Peacone36 & I feel like Cuse at home could be a win. Quick article discussing them.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...sketball_team_were_going_to_be_different.html
Syracuse had a hard time scoring points last year and have lost 61% of their scoring output. Cooney is a good player, but not much of a creator. Gbinije has a potential, I guess will find out and Coleman is coming off a year when he was injured and only play 13 games. I think our wing defenders match up well with them , Tadric could give Cooney a hard time and we have the bodies to throw at Coleman and Christmas.

Its a good matchup for us.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Syracuse had a hard time scoring points last year and have lost 61% of their scoring output. Cooney is a good player, but not much of a creator. Gbinije has a potential, I guess will find out and Coleman is coming off a year when he was injured and only play 13 games. I think our wing defenders match up well with them , Tadric could give Cooney a hard time and we have the bodies to throw at Coleman and Christmas.

Its a good matchup for us.

Where's @CuseJacket when you need him? The one time we need some Orange insight and he's nowhere to be found. :LOL: