'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Where's @CuseJacket when you need him? The one time we need some Orange insight and he's nowhere to be found. :LOL:

I think Syracuse has some question marks. Most teams do. But consider this. We are really high on Tadric and see him as one of our bright lights for the coming season. They have a 5* PF and a 4* SG who were both ranked ahead of Tadric on most boards and will probably start this year. The cupboard is not near empty at Syracuse. Plus, they have some proven talent coming back.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Syracuse has some question marks. Most teams do. But consider this. We are really high on Tadric and see him as one of our bright lights for the coming season. They have a 5* PF and a 4* SG who were both ranked ahead of Tadric on most boards and will probably start this year. The cupboard is not near empty at Syracuse. Plus, they have some proven talent coming back.
I don't think anyone is claiming Cuse has a bare cupboard, just that they have enough question marks attached that this is a game we could win. Also, if we have ny postseason hopes, it's a game we need to win.

I don't think any of us, including me, are picking us to win over Michigan State, but if you look at their roster, this might be a year where they've also got enough question marks or lack of quality depth for us to get a win.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we have a few key games before the ACC season begins. The biggest, for a number of reasons, is uga. While I think we should win the Marquette game is also a biggie. The next big game is Dayton. That will be an emotional game at their gym and a win would be huge for BG. If we are 9-3 or 10-2, then I will adjust my predictions for the ACC schedule.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd like to think we can give Dayton a game, but I also will admit their likely starters on the perimeter probably have the edge.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd like to think we can give Dayton a game, but I also will admit their likely starters on the perimeter probably have the edge.

"Give Dayton a game" C'mon dtm, I rely on your optimism to keep me off the ledge. :D

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
For me the big games are UGA (recruiting reasons) Marquette Vandy and Charlotte in the OOC.

At the end of the year they are not going to be worth much (presumably) when it comes to RPI and SOS but they are games that we SHOULD win. Vandy has depleted its scoring after multiple disciplinary actions and Charlotte isn't expected to be great. Winning games we should win and not playing down to the competition is a step in the right direction for the program. If we lose to Dayton im not going to freak, its an away game, against a talented team that should beat us. If we win, that's awesome, another good step. Now if we come out and are up by 10 at half and lose by 13..............ya know, im going to grind my axe a bit....

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
These are teams that are ranked in the 300's in RPI by the end of the season. Our program may not be in great shape, but if we're losing to one of those teams, we may as well kill the program. It would take a miracle to lose one of those games and no chance we're losing two. If that happens then there's no way we'll be getting a double digit win total and my expectations will have been entirely wrong

Love reading y'all's input.

The KSU (Kennesaw) game was one that we shouldn't have been close to losing, but lose we did. So it's more than possible.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another item not directly related to us, but hip hip hooray anyway!

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/01/inside-blitz-jay-bilas-primetime-****-vitale-espn/

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bilas is really the best in the biz. Greenberg gives a solid coaching opinion. Jay Williams, much to my chagrin as the biggest dook hater you'll ever meet, has really improved over the past couple of years. Always calls our games in a fair & knowledgeable manner.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice little preview of Clemson. LOL at DRad at it again to renovate a hoops arena.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-10-01/clemson-kj-mcdaniels-brad-brownell-acc

Personal tangent... If anyone gets the chance to get to the game at Littlejohn, it's a short ride and a neat arena. You'll think you're in the 80s, but it's a pretty good atmosphere. Visited there for a game when we took them to OT and we lost on a James Mays drive over Javaris Crittenton for a last second lay up & win. Peacock & Trevor Booker were both ejected for throwing punches. Critt left the court in tears, it was that much of a battle.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Same here. Thought we'd get him.

@dtm1997, I hope we beat the breaks off Marquette for the same reason. Can't stand Wojo.
I hate dook with a passion, but will admit that I respected Wojo when he played. Dude was flat out tough & hard-working.

Collins was garbage, but had the ability to nail 3s, which always killed us.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Sorry for jumping in a couple days late guys. Thanks for tagging me @kg01. Definitely got my attention.

@orientalnc summarizes the Syracuse situation fairly well as does @Peacone36. The dual fan in me finds it hard to sell Tadric (3* PG) being a difference-making frosh in this game when Syracuse brings in a 4* PG and 5* PF at the same time. Similarly GT is hoping Jorgenson, a 3* PG, will come back and play well. Syracuse is hoping a 5* C (Coleman) can recover from a leg injury and contribute this year.

As many have mentioned this will be a down year for Syracuse still, despite what will likely be a starting line-up of all 4*+ players. Thankfully for GT fans, to me the difference has nothing to do with fresh blood nor 1-on-1 match-ups. GT frankly loses just about every argument there. Instead last year GT won as a team and via the passing of Carter and Miller playing high-low to near perfection against the zone. Two 7-footers who were able to play above and around the 'Cuse zone with a lot of length was something I wasn't expecting. Very impressive and despite GT's lack of proficiency from 3-pt land the zone actually played right into GT's strengths.

What is GT going to do this year though to compensate for their losses inside? I know we have transfers, but it's rare finding big men who work as well together as Carter/Miller did in this particular game last year. Also Syracuse's ability to score probably can't get any worse this year with the team/talent they have coming back if we're honest about just how bad they were offensively last year.

Last thing that I said it after last year's game too. GT's win over Syracuse last year looked good from a rankings perspective, but that was a case where rankings created a perception that did not match reality. Syracuse wasn't even top 25 good when the season shook out. GT still outplayed and outcoached Syracuse and deserved to win, and as a result I don't think it's a bold statement by saying GT can hang with Syracuse at home this year. There are too many unknowns on both sides to disprove any argument.

Can't wait for college basketball to tip off and to have some real X's and O's conversations with all you gym rats on the board!