'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He may be skinny, but Q looks like he added some muscle in those arms. Pretty good interview, including the topic of team chemistry.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not surprised he made the list. Been a tough field to grow a winning team from. Player discipline issues and several crappy years in the court since the 2004 season. He wasn't given pristine soil and conditions to work.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not surprised he made the list. Been a tough field to grow a winning team from. Player discipline issues and several crappy years in the court since the 2004 season. He wasn't given pristine soil and conditions to work.

I respectfully disagree. Not on what he inherited, it was a bad situation but unless you are recruiting in the midwest or aouthern Cali there is no better region to pull talent from than where he is located.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BG is gonna be on all the hot seat lists. That's just reality when you can't get an ACC program turned around in short order based on quantifiable fact (Ws & Ls, post season appearances).

The other reality is that he's had some tough breaks and has reengineered some intangibles that are likely to allow him at least another year, short of a massive disaster.

The pressure will start to ratchet up this year and be on in a big way next year, which it should, but I think the outside world thinks his seat is hotter than it is because they take it at face value, rather than peeling back the onion and really understanding the situation.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I respectfully disagree. Not on what he inherited, it was a bad situation but unless you are recruiting in the midwest or aouthern Cali there is no better region to pull talent from than where he is located.
Don't disagree with any of your comments. Guess I was more focused on what seemed to have happened at the end of the CPH era, no "home" for a year and some "bad luck" with player personalities/issues/injuries.
You're are 100% right that there is plenty of talent in metro ATL and the southeast to field good teams.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BG is gonna be on all the hot seat lists. That's just reality when you can't get an ACC program turned around in short order based on quantifiable fact (Ws & Ls, post season appearances).

The other reality is that he's had some tough breaks and has reengineered some intangibles that are likely to allow him at least another year, short of a massive disaster.

The pressure will start to ratchet up this year and be on in a big way next year, which it should, but I think the outside world thinks his seat is hotter than it is because they take it at face value, rather than peeling back the onion and really understanding the situation.

I'm not so sure it is just the outside world that thinks that, but I digress. As usual, you did an excellent job of surmising the situation. I'm not going to make any excuses for him, but some of the issues with the program weren't resolved simply by better recruiting. It seems that the rebuild job was much deeper than what it appeared.

The good news for BG is that he really controls his own destiny. Despite the projections of many here, this team has a chance to really solid. As BG said in his recent presser, there are a lot of pieces in place. There is a good mix of size, talent, and experience, and he has a chance to really build something this year.

A good year on the hardwood would do wonders for the program, and I cannot think of a program that has had more bad breaks over the last few years than us. It is time for the ball to bounce our way a few times. The excitement is beginning to build.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
With the football team exorcising some demons on the gridiron this year I hope the basketball squad does the same on the hardwood.

Might this be the year of the YellowJacket? :cool:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I think you just defined a hot seat in college coaching. He won't be fired before Christmas, but there are likely scenarios where he might begone before the end of the season. And another 14-15 win season will likely be his last. Of course, 19-20 wins and the seat cools considerably.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To borrow from a couple of themes responding to my previous hot seat post.

The outside world thinks BG's seat is hotter than it is, like no post season or .500 record & he's gone.

While his seat is certainly warming up, to Connell's point, the rebuild was much deeper culturally within the program. Improvement is expected, but it won't be as simple as the Ws & Ls the outside world is focused on to see BG removed.

Also, it would take a lot for an in-season removal.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I dont expect an in season removal. Those are usually reserved for programs involved in scandals and 0-the season teams. That wont happen, we will be 9-3, 10-2 going into ACC play.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great little feature showing off some personality from the players. I think I like Chris Bolden & Corey Heyward's reasons the best. I know @Peacone36 will like Chris Bolden's answer.