'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You know what I'm looking for this season, depending on if Lammers or AD redshirts and no major injuries? I want Cox or Mitchell fouling out of every marquee game with 5 hard fouls on the interior. We've potentially got the depth to support that.

When the game is on the line, I want the opposing team to have to second guess themselves on driving the lane for key buckets.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To get 18-20 wins he has to really get off to a fast start. We have 18 league games and 11, maybe 12, OOC games. If we can break even in the ACC, then he needs to run the table OOC. Do you see that happening? Or us breaking even in league play? It seems like a huge stretch.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01 - That begrudged mulligan was in reference to the scout board, where the bile & potshots flow much more freely than it does here, where people are generally rational & civil in expressing their opinions, both positive & negative.

I will say that more often than not, I thought last year's team put forth pretty good effort, ok, not great execution, & mediocre physical & mental toughness. Toughness alone would've won us games at Vandy & NC State, as well as at least one win against Clemson, but they folded in some cases. That'd be 19 wins and a lot fewer complaints.

I got ya. I'll only lurk on the scout board. Some guys there are as crazy as ST albeit in a different way. The worse thing is I don't think they know it.

Agree on your comments re. execution and toughness. Also agree we'd benefit from a certain scout poster joining us here.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
As i say that it dawned on me who youre referring to and i agree.

His handle actually describes me in a flattering way lol

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah. There appears to be some mixed reaction on twitter, but these could be a lot worse, given Russell's track record. I'm not the biggest fan of Buzz, but his placement is a blatant rip off of a design element Nike uses on Duke, Kentucky, etc. uniforms.

Maybe they'll throw a big GT on the alternates, or if they were really smart, a Tech Tower.

Overall, not too bad.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. There appears to be some mixed reaction on twitter, but these could be a lot worse, given Russell's track record. I'm not the biggest fan of Buzz, but his placement is a blatant rip off of a design element Nike uses on Duke, Kentucky, etc. uniforms.

Maybe they'll throw a big GT on the alternates, or if they were really smart, a Tech Tower.

Overall, not too bad.

The Tech Tower would have looked a lot better than Buzz. Like the Duke cathedral or Pitt skyline on their uniforms

I still like Buzz though

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not ready for a record prediction yet. At first glance, I've got 14-15 should wins and I think BG needs 19-20 to stay safe. I haven't made guesses on toss-ups yet.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our OOC schedule is tougher this year, but we should be favored in seven of the 12 games. And no worse than a toss-up in four more. The only game where we will be a certain underdog is Michigan State in the Orlando Classic (if we beat Marquette).

I think our upside is that we win all seven of the games that we should win and split the four toss-up games. Since I am assuming a win in the Marquette game, which matches up the Jackets with Michigan State, the first round game is one of the four toss-ups I think we will win. Several things could happen in Orlando, but I think we will win two games there, which are two of the toss-up games. I could also see us beating Marquette, losing to Michigan State, then losing to someone like Tennessee in a consolation game.

The uga game will be a tough one. We will be playing a potential NCAA Tournament team with a lineup that is clearly untested against competition at any level. We may have better players, but this will be huge if Tech can win. I think the Dayton game on the road will be another close game where the intangibles all favor the Flyers.

If I am correct, that would give us a 9-3 record entering ACC play.

Then we open on the road at Notre Dame, followed by Syracuse, Wake Forest, ND (again), Pitt, and Virginia. Five of those six games we could be a double digit underdog, with Wake as a toss-up. Since the Wake game is in Winston-Salem, we could be looking at an 0-6 record in the ACC. Then we play an 8-game stretch where we should be at least a toss-up in six of the games. Finally, we close with UNC, Louisville, Clemson on the road, and UNC again.

But, let's assume we win all the games where we are not a clear underdog. That means we will have swept Wake Forest and Clemson and beaten Miami and VPI on the road, and held service in all the toss-ups at home. If that happens, we will need to upset someone who is clearly an NCAA Tournament team, probably at McCamish, just to have a 9-9 ACC record.

My prediction is that we will close the OOC with an 8-4 record, then be 7-11 in ACC play. That gives us 15-15 record and an opportunity to play on the opening day in Greensboro.

2014 OOC Schedule, with my picks:

u(sic)Ga * Toss-up
Alabama A&M * Win
IPFW * Win
Marquette (N) Toss-up
Michigan State (N) Loss
TBA (N) Unknown/Toss-up
Northwestern Win
UP Upstate * Win
Appalachian State * Win
Vanderbilt * Win
Dayton Toss-up
Charlotte * Win

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have the win vs UGA and also the loss against MSU and the following game. IMHO Dayton is not a toss up. Dayshawn Pierre is going to be an absolute monster this year.
Overall I have us at 14-16 (5-13 ACC)

We might get Clemson once but not sure. I am not even sure we can get Wake, who I think is going to take some by surprise. CMM is a player. I have us beating Wake at home though.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I really like to predict our season and usually do every year, but this team is a complete unknown. I'll bet even the coaches feel this way. We have some good parts, but it completely depends on how they come together and how quickly they gel (if they do). Being an optimist I would like to see 17 wins and an NIT bid at best, and I believe CBG keeps his job for now.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just can't do the W/L thing this season. My poor little heart can't take it. I'm just gonna take it one game at a time. Let's just beat the mutts and go from there.

@Ramblingon I don't think 17 wins gets anyone a sniff at the NIT. IIRC they changed their entrance requirements.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Agreed @kg01 , you have to be a bubble team with a nice resume to get to the NIT. Its now reserved for teams with good seasons who ultimately don't win their conference tournament, First 8 outs, and the best of the rest.