'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
"is going to be" and "is going to have" constructions are all over this piece. If "Everyone knows..." about injuries, why does he take up a paragraph telling us? "players that are coming in" should be "who are coming in." Players are still living people.

Terrible writing. And, the least insight possible. I cringe when a GT blogger posts something like this. It reenforces the image that the nerds at Tech can't communicate in a literate manner.

I didn't think it was that bad lol...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tangent - Both a blessing & a curse, the Internet has spawned a platform leaving us searching for more information tailored to our very narrow tastes. All of these big media companies are left trying to fill that opportunity best they can and have decided to use fans interested in writing to do so. We're left with a lot of noise to filter through to get 1 or 2 decent nuggets.

Not a shot at Yellow Jacked Up, but just the way things have trended.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Tangent - Both a blessing & a curse, the Internet has spawned a platform leaving us searching for more information tailored to our very narrow tastes. All of these big media companies are left trying to fill that opportunity best they can and have decided to use fans interested in writing to do so. We're left with a lot of noise to filter through to get 1 or 2 decent nuggets.

Not a shot at Yellow Jacked Up, but just the way things have trended.

Very true

I think I was too critical, perhaps. I am frustrated with the quality of writing I see online. It boiled up with this piece.

Not saying it was an extremely well written piece and I totally understand your point, but I thought he made some statements that I agreed with...such as the 16-17 record despite all the injuries being a good coaching job and the fact that the most critical piece this season will be how fast the team gels together

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
OK. Let's look at the 16-17 record for a moment. We beat one team that was favored over us. One. Now that was a sweet win at Syracuse. But everyone else we beat was an underdog to us or a push. As for the injuries, I can make the argument those injuries really did not change things on the bottom line. Our record in ACC play without Carter was 3-7. With him, it was 3-9. Jorgenson scored a total of 17 points before he was injured and he was not a starter or our sixth man. Or seventh man. The Golden injury overlapped the time Carter was out, but the record with Golden out was 2-3.

The team finished the season playing their bast basketball of the year. They made progress and BG deserves credit for that. But the record was 16-17 and probably is an accurate reflection of the team's play. That is a legitimate point to make. He coached the team to their potential.

Now, we have been making the other point for months. With only four guys coming back from last year, we clearly have "coming together" issues to resolve. If the team betters last year's record BG deserves accolades. But not for last year.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I wasn't studying abroad in France, I would be there. Go support these guys.

Hope that someone will post a detailed analysis of how the team looks. How do the new guys look? Does Bolden look actually improved? Does MGH look like the leader of the team and a rising star this season? How does Jorgenson look running the offense? So many questions, wish I could be there.

I'm going to try and make it down there. If so, I will be sure and post a review.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Oh my. Don't have any sharp object near if you're gonna read that. I have a pretty negative lean and that even made me uncomfortable.

Sounds like he just isn't high on CBG.

I have an acquaintance in Cleveland who is a Dayton grad. He said he looks back on CBG leaving as the best thing that's happen to Dayton basketball. I am still keeping my mind open, but this season will impact that a lot. And the 2015 recruiting.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have an acquaintance in Cleveland who is a Dayton grad. He said he looks back on CBG leaving as the best thing that's happen to Dayton basketball. I am still keeping my mind open, but this season will impact that a lot. And the 2015 recruiting.

That was the general consensus on the Dayton MB when he was first hired at GT

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Dana Altman at #4? That's ridiculous. 2 consecutive years in the tournament, made the "3rd" round and the regional semis the year before. Totaling 97 wins in 4 seasons. Just because he got some bad eggs (which were removed from the team not slapped on the wrist) doesn't mean hes should be on the hot seat.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dana Altman at #4? That's ridiculous. 2 consecutive years in the tournament, made the "3rd" round and the regional semis the year before. Totaling 97 wins in 4 seasons. Just because he got some bad eggs (which were removed from the team not slapped on the wrist) doesn't mean hes should be on the hot seat.
He brought in the bad eggs and potentially covered some things up so they'd be eligible long enough for the post season. Character issues can be a bigger problem than Ws & Ls nowadays.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Glad to see that everyone is going into the season with positive vibes.. :vomit: LOL..

Truth is, considering what we lost and the new pieces coming in, we probably should be projected pretty low, and I understand why/how some people are putting our coach on the hot seat, but I'll be damned if I let all of the haters dampen my enthusiasm for the season ahead. I am focusing my energy on getting behind this team and seeing what happens. While I recognize that we have some shortcomings, I like the make-up of this squad.

To me, it just seems like everyone is waiting to say I told you so. This small group of regular posters that we have here are very knowledge of the situation and program, and I respect where everyone is coming from, but let's give these guys a chance to "surprise" us and let's give BG a chance to show us that he is capable of being our leader.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The administration cares a lot about athletes graduating. I assume Miller and Holsey both got their degrees. I never heard what happened with Stacey Poole, or if Golden stayed in school at Tech. But seven guys left the team and only two have GT diplomas in hand. That has to sting a bit. It also means he probably doesn't have a sponsor in the administration to defend him if the losses mount up. And the guy who hired him is no longer at Tech.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@orientalnc I think that you may be wrong there. I would need to gather more details, but everything that I have heard is that the program is excellent shape academically under Gregory. Wins and losses are one thing, but from academic standpoint, I think that he is head and shoulders above the previous regime.

Check out this article when you have a moment: http://gtalumnimag.com/2014/02/passing-grade/

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@orientalnc while graduating players is important and has improved, the key item is having players in good standing, which he's done a great job at. I think most have left GT with degrees or in good standing under BG.

Here's my stance on the upcoming season.
  1. I'll cheer for the players. Always.
  2. I think we lack serious starpower, but have depth of talent, which could ultimately make up for it.
  3. I think we've got a really tough schedule. Despite that, plenty of winnable games.
  4. While we've got plenty of winnable games, we've got to win some tough ones & some toss-ups. That's on the coaches to come up with the game plan and the players to be tough enough to make happen.
  5. I'm excited for basketball season in general, but I'm going to do my best to keep even keel about our results. Either we win more than expected and BG showed us. We do about the same to a little better than last year and he probably gets one more shot. We have an absolutely terrible year and we wish BG well as we show him the door.
That's my game plan to support GT hoops this year, while not driving myself crazy. I've found it easier to remove emotional attachment compared to years gone by as a student dropping eff bombs at refs or screaming "SHEED CAN'T READ!" from across the arena after the game. Only took 20 years.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I have never read this guy's stuff before, but he paints a bleak picture. He also ignores Mitchell and Jorgenson.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/234376/College-Basketball-Preview-14-15-ACC

And that is exactly why you can't look into these that much. When he completely ignores two of our potential starters including our PG who may be the most important piece of the puzzle, how much research has he really done on our team? All of us on this board know 10 times more about our team than this guy

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Im going to root for this team, im going to watch every second of every game. My flags will remain on my wall and my Big Dog, 3 wood and hybrid 3 will keep their GT club covers on. That said, as a realist, i know without much doubt how this season will go.

In regards to Altman, one kid he signed who has since been removed had a questionable past, and i beleive no charges were filed against those whom were removed. Any HS kid can put on a good show for coach in person and as long as he had no run ins with the law how is the coach supposed to know. These are college kids who are going to make bad decisions often. Now, if he indeed did try to cover something up (i hadnt heard that) i understand the possible loss of support.