'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah. The B1G is all over the map. So much for that.

More than any season I can remember, our prospects are incredibly uncertain. I think we should be able to beat Northwestern, but would not bet a cup coffee on anything right now. Heck, I am starting to worry about Clayton State. ;)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
One thing I had not noticed til just now, (numbers wise anyways) is MGH increased his FT attempts from 89 as a frosh to 135 as a soph.

I love that.

BTW. At his current career pace MGH will hit the 1,000 point mark around the 25th (@UNC) game of the season. That's at his career clip of 11.3ppg.

If he gets up to around 16 a game (my personal projection) it will happen around the 18th game (@Miami)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You are certainly high on ND this year! Could they be ranked when we play them? Sure. But do I think it's a given? Certainly not. Not many people picking them to be very good this year....

Bleacher Report: 10th
Fansided: Same category as us
ACC Coaches: 10th
CBS: 9th

I wipe my backside with "expert" predictions.
Some guys didn't even have UConn in the tourney last year.

I see outside shooting (Connaughton 38% from deep) Scoring (Grant 19ppg) potential star still improving (Jackson). A decent big body in Zac Auguste (7 and 4 last year) and a nice recruit in Euro big Geben. I think they are a big time sleeper.

Its part of the fun of it all, at the end of the season ill either know what I think I did, or ill look foolish. I cant wait to find out which.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/11618040/kentucky-tops-****-vitale-2014-15-top-40

I don't think this was ever posted, but here is **** Vitales preseason top 40:

Duke - 2
UNC - 5
UVA - 8
Louisville - 10
Pitt - 25
Cuse - 26
NCSU - 31
UGA - 33
FSU - 35
Dayton - 40

UGA is the big surprise on here for me. I know they're expected to be pretty good this year, but this is a lot higher than I'd like to see them. Let's hope Dicky V is wrong on this one....

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would bet huge on a parlay that FSU & Dayton have better years than UGA. Vitale is smoking drugs and too dependent upon how UGA finished last year before they lost a key piece in Brandon Morris. UGA will have a very very good starting backcourt and couple of solid starting forwards, but I have no idea what else they really have. FSU & Dayton have both better backcourt quality & depth than UGA.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/11618040/kentucky-tops-****-vitale-2014-15-top-40

I don't think this was ever posted, but here is **** Vitales preseason top 40:

Duke - 2
UNC - 5
UVA - 8
Louisville - 10
Pitt - 25
Cuse - 26
NCSU - 31
UGA - 33
FSU - 35
Dayton - 40

UGA is the big surprise on here for me. I know they're expected to be pretty good this year, but this is a lot higher than I'd like to see them. Let's hope Dicky V is wrong on this one....

Assuming we are not in the top 40 (for a moment) and will be underdogs to all these teams, plus Kansas if we get that far in Orlando, this looks like our ESPN upside is 19 wins. That means we have to win every game not against one of Dicky V's top 40. Would a 19-12 record and 9-9 ACC record be good enough for the NCAA? Maybe, but winning 19 games seems a huge stretch at this point. I am still looking at our max wins being somewhere between 14 and 17.

Except for uga (I think McCamish should be sent to his room for misspelling the team in Athens' name), I don't actually disagree with Vitale on this list. He may have NC State to0 high, but I think they will have a decent team.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These preseason rankings are all useless banter in my mind, but dtm is right on the money. No way that UGA should be ranked higher preseason than FSU or Dayton. Both teams will finish with better records than the doggies. FSU will be a surprise team in conference this year. Lot of positive momentum with that bunch, and they have boatload of talent in the right spots. I do not see any way that GT is an underdog on their home court in the season opener against UGA.