'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Too much content likely generated to post it here, but ACC Media Day can be followed at the following twitter feeds:

https://twitter.com/accmbb

https://twitter.com/GTMBK

The ACC hoops feed has a 10-question interview with each coach. BG was interviewed early this morning. GT Hoops feed is covering other items, including MGH & Heyward, who are representing us.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah he did miss all of last season but I heard early on through the talking heads he was expected to finally be a key contributor for them.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know I'm gonna end up stirring up junk with this, but here's a comment from Seth Greenberg.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
putin-not-impressed-meme_0r_1024x748.jpg

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Slotted in at #13 at ACC Media Day. I'm guessing this is a media vote, since so many points involved.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Odd , I was under the impression Coleman was healthy.

Nope, there's speculation that his career is over. Sad especially given that he's a local kid (from my HS no less) and Syracuse fended off Kentucky for his commitment. It's also why Syracuse is still actively recruiting 2015 5* PF/C Thomas Bryant when they're currently at max scholarships for next year.

This is Boeheim's hardest job in I don't know how many years given who they lost and have to replace. That said their unproven starting 5 that you see in Rothstein's tweets is 4* PG, 4* SG, 4* SF, 5* PF, 5* C.

Compare that to the unproven squad we have at GT. Just too much speculation at this point to say how competitive that game will be. I could see it going either way.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D. Scott just instagrammed a clip from practice. Opponents may need to worry about a concussion based on that pick set by Mitchell. Travis moving smoothly.

ETA: He just grammed a pic with Coach Cremins from McCamish. Good to see them on hand watching the development.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/44626/acc-basketball-preview-georgia-tech-2/

Projection: Because of transfers and injuries, Gregory has been forced to piece together a makeshift group of players that have never played together – let alone in his system. That’s not the most comfortable situation for a coach to be in, especially one whose job could be on the line.

And yet, considering the circumstances things could be much worse. With a revamped frontcourt, two promising young point guards and a potential star in Georges-Hunt, the Yellow Jackets have assembled a roster that, while not ready to be a factor in the upgraded ACC, is at least capable of getting back over .500 and challenging to get into the postseason.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Goodman just posted 12 bold predictions for the upcoming season... here are the ACC related items:

6. The ACC will get nine or 10 teams in the NCAA tournament.

That will allow the league to re-establish itself as the premiere basketball league in the country. Duke, UNC, Louisville and Virginia are virtual locks while teams such as Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, N.C. State, Miami and Florida State may all get into the field as well. The league will have a banner year, but won’t match the Big East’s record-setting 11 teams that got into the NCAA tourney in 2011.
7. The NCAA won’t truly punish North Carolina and/or Syracuse for academic transgressions.

The NCAA is scared of its own shadow these days and hardly wants to anger two of the elite men’s basketball programs. It’s not worth it for Mark Emmert & Co. -- mostly from a financial standpoint, and also due to the fear that the organization is on shaky ground these days with regards to the membership.
9. Syracuse will not make the NCAA tournament.

Remember, the Cuse have lost a ton over the last two seasons, and they were not prepared to lose Tyler Ennis after just one season. Now it’s freshman Kaleb Joseph’s turn to man the point-guard position, and I’m just not sure he can take this group to the NCAA tourney. Trevor Cooney is a one-dimensional shooter, Rakeem Christmas isn’t exactly an offensive threat, and talented freshman Chris McCullough has been inconsistent with his production and effort throughout his high school andAAU career. It’s not as if Boeheim hasn’t had down years before -- he went to the NIT in 2007 and 2008.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Pet peeve alert.

"They're"

And we should all be experts because most on this board called Cuse not being great already. Booyah!

Oh and ND will make the tourney!! Haha

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

COACH ON THE HOT SEAT

Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech

A program that just a decade ago was contending for the national title hasn’t been relevant in league play for a couple of seasons. It’s now year four for Gregory and he’s only had one winning season – 16-15 two years ago – with the Yellow Jackets.

Sigh. We gotta start strong early this year. Toxic assessments like these can be killer.