'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
APR is an interesting measurement. It really doesn't have much to do with graduation. A team gets one point for each scholarship player who is in school at the end of the season. They get another point for each scholarship player who is academically eligible. So, for 2013, GT men's basketball had 13 scholarship players and they were all in school and eligible. Divide those 26 points by the 26 possible points and multiply by 1000. We got a perfect 1000. The rolling four year average is what really matters for the NCAA. Guys that drop out of school, transfer to another school because they want more PT, or to leap to the NBA, do not hurt your APR. Guys like Jabari Hunt-Days, who remain in school, but are academically ineligible, would hurt the APR if he remained on scholarship. Does that make sense?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Im going to root for this team, im going to watch every second of every game. My flags will remain on my wall and my Big Dog, 3 wood and hybrid 3 will keep their GT club covers on. That said, as a realist, i know without much doubt how this season will go.

In regards to Altman, one kid he signed who has since been removed had a questionable past, and i beleive no charges were filed against those whom were removed. Any HS kid can put on a good show for coach in person and as long as he had no run ins with the law how is the coach supposed to know. These are college kids who are going to make bad decisions often. Now, if he indeed did try to cover something up (i hadnt heard that) i understand the possible loss of support.

With all due respect, I don't think that you would say the same if Gregory brought in a similar group. People crucify him now for Solomon Poole and it was nowhere close to some of the incidents in Oregon (sexual assault, shoplifting)..

Coaches are paid millions of dollars to know the kids that they're bring in, and they know if a kid is a questionable take or not before offering them. Especially as accessible information is in today's age. Just read some of their twitter feeds and you'll know what I mean.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
APR is an interesting measurement. It really doesn't have much to do with graduation. A team gets one point for each scholarship player who is in school at the end of the season. They get another point for each scholarship player who is academically eligible. So, for 2013, GT men's basketball had 13 scholarship players and they were all in school and eligible. Divide those 26 points by the 26 possible points and multiply by 1000. We got a perfect 1000. The rolling four year average is what really matters for the NCAA. Guys that drop out of school, transfer to another school because they want more PT, or to leap to the NBA, do not hurt your APR. Guys like Jabari Hunt-Days, who remain in school, but are academically ineligible, would hurt the APR if he remained on scholarship. Does that make sense?

Without a doubt, we issues to resolve within the program, however, academic standing isn't one of them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect, have you seen me crucify CBG over Solo? The answer is no.

And I bring my hammer and nails to the message board quite often.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree that the academic performance of our basketball team seems to have improved a great deal. Maybe the administration only cares about the public perception of our teams' academics, but I would bet otherwise. APR is a measure the NCAA devised that is actually pretty easy to meet. That we did not under Hewitt is just another of his multiple failings.

I will give CBG credit for this. The recruits that he has brought in, with the exception of the Pooles, seem to be sound college students. Other than Carter I do not think any of them have the NBA in their future, so they certainly should be focused on getting a degree.

As a fan, I think I would be OK with a slightly lower APR if we could make the NCAA tournament again in the near future.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With all due respect, have you seen me crucify CBG over Solo? The answer is no.

And I bring my hammer and nails to the message board quite often.
LOL! An example of bleed between the other board and here. I'm ugessing here that Connell was referring to the negativity over there.

@orientalnc you kind of strike at the heart of why I think BG has more leash than people think. While Ws/Ls are what he'll ultimately be judged on, the time it takes to rebuild the underlying academic culture and fact he's done it has created some breathing room that the outside world doesn't recognize.

I will say, I don't think the Pooles were unsound college students. There were rumors that Stacey was near graduation and he appears to still be in the GT directory. Also, Solomon was in school through at least Spring, leaving in good standing. I think there was more than meets the eye there with the "migraines", just wasn't ever going to be made public.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In regards to Altman, one kid he signed who has since been removed had a questionable past, and i beleive no charges were filed against those whom were removed. Any HS kid can put on a good show for coach in person and as long as he had no run ins with the law how is the coach supposed to know. These are college kids who are going to make bad decisions often. Now, if he indeed did try to cover something up (i hadnt heard that) i understand the possible loss of support.

I gotta disagree with you re. Oregon Peacone. The stuff that's gone on there under Altman has been pretty horrific (JMHO). I think they could fire him today and not get too much flack for it. It's one thing if a kid or two make a mistake or even get arrested (those are indeed bad decisions as you mention). He's had multiple kids, in unrelated situations, commit serious crimes. On top of that he's had multiple kids with eligibility issues.

Things to that degree don't happen if a coach has a decent system in place for vetting kids. Either that or he vetted them and just didn't care what he found/didn't find.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of hot seats and coaches around the country, Billy Kennedy doing a heck of a job on the recruiting trail to get himself off of it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
LOL! An example of bleed between the other board and here. I'm ugessing here that Connell was referring to the negativity over there.

@orientalnc you kind of strike at the heart of why I think BG has more leash than people think. While Ws/Ls are what he'll ultimately be judged on, the time it takes to rebuild the underlying academic culture and fact he's done it has created some breathing room that the outside world doesn't recognize.

I will say, I don't think the Pooles were unsound college students. There were rumors that Stacey was near graduation and he appears to still be in the GT directory. Also, Solomon was in school through at least Spring, leaving in good standing. I think there was more than meets the eye there with the "migraines", just wasn't ever going to be made public.

The only part of the Solo situation I didn't care for (aside from the end result which I don't blame CBG for) is bringimg these kids in mid season. I don't like that. I never will. Unless the kid is going to walk in and be in your rotation steady, why do it? Jarnell Stokes is actually the only other one I know of that did it. Anyone know of others?

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice to see the MDJ giving Tech some press, even if it's wire. I used to work in the MDJ sports department and was managing editor for a while, so still have some connection with the paper.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rothstein scouts another of our ACC opponents, visiting Cuse, helping paint a tale as to why we may have another decent shot at beating them.