12/15 Early Signing Day: GT

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Mooney, to me, is a big head scratcher. It's not like the Big 5 are beating his door down, it seems.
Yeah, I was disappointed he didn't sign yesterday. But there could be lots of reasons, which could be related to extracurricular influences (like girlfriends, for instance).

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
They're not committed and are keeping their options open for a better offer. Doesnt mean they wont sign, but percentages aren't in our favor
I don't understand. Mr. Mooney clearly stated that Bobby is a definite commit and will sign in February. LFD asked a legit question of Mr. Mooney regarding the timing of signature. Your immediate response is to demean a statement from a GT Legacy's father? What is wrong with you? Really, I want to know...how does your post help anything?

slugboy

Staff member
I don't understand. Mr. Mooney clearly stated that Bobby is a definite commit and will sign in February. LFD asked a legit question of Mr. Mooney regarding the timing of signature. Your immediate response is to demean a statement from a GT Legacy's father? What is wrong with you? Really, I want to know...how does your post help anything?
It was his uncle (Bobby’s father passed on), but no reason to doubt that commitment

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yeah, I was disappointed he didn't sign yesterday. But there could be lots of reasons, which could be related to extracurricular influences (like girlfriends, for instance).
Girlfriends, I understand. I used to have one or two when I was 18 who caused me to rethink a decision or two.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Want to say congrats to all of the young men who signed with GT yesterday. I hope you all have great career's on the Flats both academically and athletically.

I feel like we got some really talented kids.

FWIW, here are the current recruiting rankings
247Sports
41 Recruits (this is just the HS recruits), 39 Transfers (just the transfer recruits), 41 overall (this includes both HS and transfer kids).
As SOWEGA mentioned in a separate thread about the HS only rankings not giving a full sense of how you are doing I like this idea that 247Sports has now of having a ranking that includes both the HS and portal kids. Gives a better picture of where you stand overall.

Rivals

On both sites GT ranks 6th in the ACC so far, behind UNC, FSU, Clemson, BC and VT. With all the coaching changes in the ACC it really impacted class sizes for alot of the schools. I imagine that ACC schools will be very active in the portal.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Look at rivals average stars. If you go by that, excluding rankings due to quantity, GT would be in the high 20’s….quality over quantity.
I’m happy with this recruiting class.

But I’m tired of having to justify why our classes are better than the rankings show. I felt like almost every year CPJ was here I was caught in endless conversations with people who wanted to run his recruiting down while I explained why the class was actually better than it showed on paper.

I was really hoping when CGC came in we would be through with having to justify why our recruiting rankings were misleading indicators of the true value of our athletes. I guess, in the end, until Tech gets a top 10 class, or even a top 15, these conversations will forever be our fate.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

But I’m tired of having to justify why our classes are better than the rankings show. I felt like almost every year CPJ was here I was caught in endless conversations with people who wanted to run his recruiting down while I explained why the class was actually better than it showed on paper.

I was really hoping when CGC came in we would be through with having to justify why our recruiting rankings were misleading indicators of the true value of our athletes. I guess, in the end, until Tech gets a top 10 class, or even a top 15, these conversations will forever be our fate.
If CGC's selling is the understood governing strength then pulling in Willis, AT and Nate K should be your sweet spot, but ...

kalld12

Banned
Let me rephrase since the mods took my last post down for being too forward. I was referring to Bonner, not Mooney, we all know Mooney is signing and its always been advertised as February for him. Instead of assuming and calling me out, maybe you could be more respectful at come at me in a different manner because i don't appreciate the manner in which you came at me. Its a fact that MOST kids that dont sign early aren't solid on their commitment. These are 18 yr old kids, they may say their committed, but you need to take that with a grain of salt.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
If CGC's selling is the understood governing strength then pulling in Willis, AT and Nate K should be your sweet spot, but ...
Yea bringing in 2 4 star DTs for the first time ever and several other 4 star guys doesn’t count.

Let’s focus on the few we would’ve never had a chance with before that didn’t come.

Recruiting and bringing in talent isn’t an issue for Collins. The fact that we have brought in the 4 stars we have with 9 wins in 3 years is more than enough proof he can recruit and bring talent in.

Y’all can bash his coaching all you want. Plenty of concerns there. When you start talking about him bringing in talent (or not) it makes it look like you don’t think rationally and are only out to grind an axe.

If we won 6 games this year there’s a good chance we finish with a top 20 class and Gibbs is still here. 2 of the guys you mentioned would likely be here too.

We didn’t and that didn’t happen. So recruiting is not the issue. Winning games is. If he starts winning, recruiting will be amazing. If not, he’ll be gone and we’ll see what the next guy can do.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I wasnt talking about Bobby, talking about Bonner, but thanks for making yourself look like an a******
You haven't answered the question. Even if you were speaking of another recruit (not at all clear since you quoted a question directed toward Mr. Mooney), how does you injecting your opinion on the state of that individual's commitment (with no actual evidence or knowledge that I have seen) help anything? Will your blasting of a potential GT football player help ensure his commitment in February? Last I heard, Janiran Bonner had stated that he is going to sign in February. I choose to trust him. If you have inside knowledge or evidence to demonstrate that my trust is misplaced, please share. If you have no inside information and are just making noise, than I kindly ask that refrain from blasting our recruits.

By the way, if you think I am an *** because I asked you what I think is a reasonable question, then I guess I am an ***. I can live with that. You would not like me as a supervisor - I'm an old fart that asks lots of questions and I want answers that are supported with evidence. Have a good day!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Justify to whom?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ACC Overview from 247sports

One note that was made is that most of the ACC classes were small this year. Only 2 schools - VT and BC signed more than 17 players. GT had the 4th largest class in the ACC.
This is due to a combination of coaching changes and COVID guys counting against the 85 scholarship limit.

Last edited: