1/20 @ UNC

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why Ben is playing so far out on offense. He is not an offensive threat and no rebounding. He is a good passer but too far out. We were much better with him flashing up to the foul line and running pick and roll. He doesn't have the quickness to put ball on the floor and drive. He is not getting involved enough in the offense. That is going to Geuye (sp) who has really improved this year but Ben should be scoring more. Would like to see a double low post some and not just a high low.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Lammers (imho) is simply not effective on offense the way he is being used right now. He is a good passer, but leaving him out high leaves him out of the mix for possible offensive rebounds and he simply cannot score that longish jumper anymore.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO, he's not a back-to-the basket player either. AD's post game is well ahead of Ben right now, but I agree that he's virtually no factor right now.

That said, I think that it is more than just how is designed to be used. Defenses are really focused on him and pushing him, he's taking bad shots to try and be aggressive as well.

More than anything, it's an effort to try and get our best players on the floor.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why Ben is playing so far out on offense. He is not an offensive threat and no rebounding. He is a good passer but too far out. We were much better with him flashing up to the foul line and running pick and roll. He doesn't have the quickness to put ball on the floor and drive. He is not getting involved enough in the offense. That is going to Geuye (sp) who has really improved this year but Ben should be scoring more. Would like to see a double low post some and not just a high low.

I don't think Ben is going that far out by design. I think we want him at the high post, but he's being forced out by defenses, and also forced to come out to relieve the off ball pressure because our guards aren't good about getting the ball. Especially Jose, Haywood, and Alston.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The way we are using Ben is an attempt to get defenses to play defense against the 4 spot on our offense. When Ben was at the 5 and AD at the 4 no one paid any attention to AD more than 5 feet from the basket and they just clogged the lane where our cutters are. So the bet is the combination of AD at the 5 and Ben at the 4 is better than Ben at the 5 and AD at the 4. And that Ben at the 4 allows JO and Tadric to still be able to cut/drive to the basket.

Ben doesn't really have the skill set to excel at the 4 spot on offense. I expect we will start to see folks back off of Ben unless he shows he can make the 15/18 foot shot. We could go to a double post type of offense but that would allow the lane to be clogged easier against cutters. So I expect we are just going to try to muddle through for the remainder of this year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree that he is being forced out too far at the high post making him very ineffective on offense. He needs to receiving the ball no farther out than top of the key and nearer the foul line. He seems to be beyond the keyot of the time.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC REPORT CARD:
Refs - "D-".
We don't lose because of the calls, we lose momentum because of the calls — which could lead to a chance to win. The refs were not good today, and it may have started with the pre-game hug of Ted giving his Valentine to Joel Berry.
Coaching - "B". The energy of the team, particularly 36 hours after Virginia game, was for the most part very good. The biggest takeaway was seeing outburst from CJP toward the refs - he needs to do more of that. We have a base offense, but I still believe CJP needs to put in some more change-of-pace/look plays. We're far enough into the season to add twists.
Lammers — "B". Much more aggressiveness on offense. He needs to continue to push. Personally, I think he should be taking two 3ptrs a game — he will get look and it could open up his drive against a big with just the thought of him launching. No TOs which helps. No "A" because of 4 rebounds when we needed rebounding more than any other game this season.
Gueye - "B+". Another strong game. Dare I say, he looked like the best TRUE post player of either team; can't believe I'm typing that. 6 for 9, and a couple over double-teams. Again, rebounds a problem.
Okogie - "C+". I think my expectations are just so high for him. His stats look good at the end (18p,7rb), but his missed opportunities during flow of game are more meaningful. He had open 3s that he needs to hit, and he needs to be aggressive from the "bell." He seems to be too passive for what this team needs NOW!
Jackson - "D". 5TOs, 5 fouls. Just never in rhythm in his final game at Chapel Hill. I do think a foul or two could have swung the other way.
Alvarado - "A". I love this kid. The step over was worth the 1 point it cost us (Berry only hit 1 of technical FTs) for the culture that he's helping create. A couple of TOs were him trying too hard, but guys can't stop moving — he leads teammates to basket and sometimes they don't continue a hard cut (happened with Gueye going to basket on a pass leading him). Jose seems to be at his best launching 3s in tough moments, or frenzied transitions. I think of next year with Phillips, Devoe, Haywood, Okogie (I think he's coming back) and Sjouland and I do believe we'll see our best team 3-point percentage in the last decade+.
Alston - "D". 0-1, 1TO, 1Foul. Just exposed against superior competition.
Haywood — "C-". He had a tough shooting game, BUT I like that as a FR he kept shooting in Chapel Hill. Mostly all of his shots are online, so keep launching CGB. Biggest complaint was only 2 Rebs in 25 mins.
Cole/Wright — n/a. They got in, but no time to have any impact.

Gtmamn61

Georgia Tech Fan
I just turned on the vpi tar holes game right before the half. Is TV Teddy calling this game too? Looks like it could be the same crew.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
no teddy in that game
curious to see when he goes again. Wonder if GT went after that crew?

It was obviously Pastner using Coach Talk, but he was extremely complimentary toward the crew in his post-practice meeting with the media today. While he mentioned that he thought we should have gone to the line a few more trips, he never gave the impression that it was one-sided.