1/20 @ UNC

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I honestly dont know about this line. I was certain we’d cover 7 vs UVA. Good thing I took the under in that one.
This game I just don’t know. I can see us frustrating NC with our D and slowing the game down but I think they’re too athletic and deep for us and can run us off the floor by 20.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we get back and don't let them run out to easy baskets plus play defense the way we started against UVA we cover.
UNC does not stress you nearly the way UVA does.
Tempo will be much different. the job will be to keep it slow.
Ivy will be happy - we will play 2 bigs most of the game until they go small. Key matchup will be can AD cover Maye.
UNC is not going to clog the middle and beat up every cutter through the lane. Though they may take the plan to stay off of Lammers until he proves he can hit a mid range shot. I would
Barrie will get his. don't let the others on the perimeter beat us.
This won't be as tough or draining a game as UVA was but we will still need to find a way to steal some minutes for most everyone.

They are a lot easier to play and play against. I think we cover unless we are just drained.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Just saw Roy on tv up here. They are going to take it inside more and try to get points in the paint. I hope big Ben is ready and we don' get into foul trouble.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Just saw Roy on tv up here. They are going to take it inside more and try to get points in the paint. I hope big Ben is ready and we don' get into foul trouble.

No they’re not

The last 3 games they have played 4 out and their offense is killing it

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Yeah not a good strategy to play a team with questionable perimeter defense by pounding it down the middle against the ACC defensive POY

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
UNCheat has a different lineup / approach this year than normal. They don't run the two bigs high-low that they almost always have. They have lots of interchangeable parts on the perimeter and their "big" is really a stretch 4 (Maye) who is more comfortable outside the lane, than in.

One thing that never changes about their game plan: they will look to run at every opportunity. Their trademark is the sideline break out of a made FG. When we score, we need all five guys sprinting back on D. If we jog back, they will hit layups all day.

Watch out for run & jump and other trapping junk defenses any time we come out of a timeout. They will especially look to do this with a freshman PG and CBG or Alston on the wings. If AD gets the ball outside the lane, watch for weak side traps to force bad passes.

I expect to see Berry, Pinson, Maye & Johnson on the court for 32+ minutes each. After that, Huckleberry Hound rotates the other perimeter based on who's hot, foul trouble, matchups etc. I assume we'll see Pinson and Williams cover Josh when they're in man. My guess is they will sag in most defensive looks and dare us to shoot from outside. They will have scouted us, so won't be surprised that CBG can shoot, so they will shade on him if in zone. They'll try to limit JO & TJ from penetrating and make them spot up shooters. They'll let Ben shoot from 15 until he proves he can make them like he did last year

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
They have and will play 4 out with Maye being more of a stretch 4 or even with Maye as the only big at times. But in his heart of hearts Roy is a double post guy who wants to go inside first. So I bet they do start in classic dean smith format of 2 in before he finally goes 4 out with just enough time to make a difference

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
To paraphrase good ole Roy on tv this morning, he does not think his team can be as successful in the ACC without getting more shots inside and not rely so much on the 3. Will have to see if that is his strategy today.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Should be a good test for Jose today against one of the top point guards in the country. He is going up against some really good competition in the ACC. Jose can be one of the top players in the ACC before he is done at GT.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Roy has been consistently saying they will only go as far in the post season as their inside game takes them. I expect to see one of the young bigs with Maye until he has to go small

They still play some 4 out stuff with Maye at the 4

GT_EE78

Banned
Travel for a Saturday game after a Thursday loss.

UNC covers

I don't think Ben & JO will have such bad games, NC doesn't play D like VA.I think Tech will get within the 15 and have a better chance to win than we did against VA. (better in this case may not be saying a whole lot)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully UNC goes with the same defensive gameplan as last year. As in, play like they never scouted or prepped for GT.

So what would that look like? Overextend on Jax because he is a shooting guard and must have 3-point prowess, allowing him to pump fake and drive by. Give Ben uncontested 15 foot jump shots because he's a center and therefore probably can't shoot (he needs to make these). Off the ball, fly out 5 feet past the 3 point arc on all of our guards' violent cuts, allowing them to backdoor the crap out of the overplay.

You know, the ol' Roy "roll the ball out there and let's out-athlete 'em" gameplan.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am hearing Teddy V will be on the floor. That should get a warm welcome from the faithful.
In all honesty I don't mind seeing him at Cameron or Chapel Hill.

bos

Helluva Engineer
GT letting this one slip at the end of the 1st half. Key deference has been rebounding. NC is going after Lammers when they drive and completely take him out of rebounding position doing so.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Too quick of a turn around. We look extremely tired. I guess the ACC didn't like us beating uNCheat last year so they made sure it would be a W this year.