“I got out” bad for recruiting

Animal02

Banned
we were afraid too. we thought you guys were crazy. And not getting any sleep was just a small part of it.;)

makes me curious - has there ever been a human being that played FB or basketball at Tech who got a degree in architecture? I simply can't imagine anyone pulling that off.
Pretty much impossi let since the studios are during typical practice time

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Dead serious: this is why Bud is destroying Georgia Tech. Anyone who looks at college admissions and says it's in the least bit fair, much less better than a lower graduation rate is either a fool or evil.
USNews used to weight lower retention rate negatively (I don’t know if they still do). It was a point of emphasis on the early 2010’s to make getting in harder and getting out easier to help with our rankings. It’s still hard, but it is hard in a different way now.

83jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech is hard and at times was not very fun. I have quite a few friends who attended UGA and Auburn and did everything they could to stretch their time at school into an extra semester or year because the balance was tilted to student life and not academics. College was fun! The balance at GT has always been academics first and if you are lucky you have time to throw in a little student life. I have never known a Tech student who stayed in school a minute longer than what was required to graduate.

LibertyTurns

Banned
we were afraid too. we thought you guys were crazy. And not getting any sleep was just a small part of it.;)

makes me curious - has there ever been a human being that played FB or basketball at Tech who got a degree in architecture? I simply can't imagine anyone pulling that off.
Karl Barnes, the first African American player to play a game at GT got a Masters in Archtecture. Dude must have been sporting a set of huge brass ones to accomplish all that so early in life.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Karl Barnes, the first African American player to play a game at GT got a Masters in Archtecture. Dude must have been sporting a set of huge brass ones to accomplish all that so early in life.

That is without a doubt the most impressive thing I believe any human being has accomplished outside of serving in the armed forces during conflict or maybe in the arena of medical research. I don't think most people would have a sense for this but we saw first hand saw how hard the FB players worked to hone their craft, and the commitment required...and also the architecture guys, who probably put in more work. The intersection of these two sets maybe <5 in the history of GT FB, which goes back a heck of a long ways. Really, this feat is beyond belief for the most part.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really don't see why it is hard to understand why the idea of "getting out" hurts recruiting. Think about the things people get out of and ask yourself if you want to be a part of that. People get out of prison, get out of bad relationships, get out of jury duty, etc etc etc. It conveys a sense of it not being a good thing to be in, which is the opposite message most colleges use to recruit. Now I doubt it had a significant impact because I doubt many people who were recruiting or interacting with recruits put it that way.
You get out of the military, you get out of training camp, etc. What you're saying is that you endured an extremely taxing and difficult endeavor, by persevering and not quitting. You accomplished something worthwhile and achieved something with true value. You can perceive it as negative and convey it as a negative or understand that "getting out" in this context is synonymous with "making it through." That's something to be proud of and something that should be lauded, not criticized.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I had top grades in H.S......and struggled at Tech. I found that people that had struggled a bit in H.S. did well at Tech because they knew they had to study. People like me that never had to in HS. learned a brutal lesson.
+1 Went on warning after 3rd Quarter Freshman year. Battled through school and work but GOT OUT with a degree!!
would have loved a couple of "do over" classes!

Animal02

Banned
Wonder if that was after his playing days....You can get a Master of Architecture degree in three years with a non arch undergraduate degree.....at least you could in the past.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Guess you never went never
Guess you never went never the architecture building. :cautious:
Actually, the Arch Building was on on my route through GT and am very familiar with the rigor and amount of time spent in that place. In fact, I'll bet more lamps are changed out in the fixtures in that building than in any other building on campus. Energy management through lighting control is virtually worthless in that place. (y) I didn't mean to slight those folks.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You get out of the military, you get out of training camp, etc. What you're saying is that you endured an extremely taxing and difficult endeavor, by persevering and not quitting. You accomplished something worthwhile and achieved something with true value. You can perceive it as negative and convey it as a negative or understand that "getting out" in this context is synonymous with "making it through." That's something to be proud of and something that should be lauded, not criticized.
+1 !!!!!

Animal02

Banned
Lon
Actually, the Arch Building was on on my route through GT and am very familiar with the rigor and amount of time spent in that place. In fact, I'll bet more lamps are changed out in the fixtures in that building than in any other building on campus. (y) I didn't mean to slight those folks.
Longest I stayed up was a Tuesday morning to Friday night....then slept for 24 hrs. It was very common to skip classes to work on a studio project. A studio was required every quarter, so if you failed, you added a extra quarter. Failing other classes could be made up without falling behind.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Lon

Longest I stayed up was a Tuesday morning to Friday night....then slept for 24 hrs. It was very common to skip classes to work on a studio project. A studio was required every quarter, so if you failed, you added a extra quarter. Failing other classes could be made up without falling behind.
That's brutal. Made a good architect out of you, didn't it?

LibertyTurns

Banned
He must have been miserable. Between football, studio, and sleep,are there any hours left in the day?
I’m guessing most of the Architecture Masters came after he was done playing football. Back in those days campus was only a half mile wide, there was no cable tv & no internet to surf. Left a bunch of time to study & crap like that no doubt.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

When you feel the same relief of getting out of a college as people who get away from war zones....

Just because it's something to be lauded doesn't mean it doesn't hurt recruiting.

herb

Helluva Engineer
When you feel the same relief of getting out of a college as people who get away from war zones....

Just because it's something to be lauded doesn't mean it doesn't hurt recruiting.

I have never been to war, but it Is obviously nothing like that. But, there is a certain camaraderie that people who go there felt, it is not set up to be easy. Everyone is out to get you, ie the shaft, and you do experience a certain relief getting out. It is part of the place, don’t know what else to tell you