“I got out” bad for recruiting

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
[Q
When you feel the same relief of getting out of a college as people who get away from war zones....

Just because it's something to be lauded doesn't mean it doesn't hurt recruiting.

Are recruiters pitching the "got out" stories to the players their recruiting?

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
+1 Went on warning after 3rd Quarter Freshman year. Battled through school and work but GOT OUT with a degree!!
would have loved a couple of "do over" classes!

Academic warning after Summer qtr 1998 for me. Yeah give me a do over on Dynamics 1 please!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know when you were in school, so I can't refute your claim, but in the 60s, there was DEFINITELY a shaft.

It was still there in the early 80s. My junior level EE professors were told the AVERAGE GPA for their classes must be 2.4. There was a weed out of approximately 30-50% in the first 2 years, and then they did again your junior year.

I "got out" in 1966, and I have never used any other terms than that one or "finished". If it's a detriment to recruiting, then it shouldn't be. It should instead be defined as a badge of honor, because it's a difficult school, and it's even more difficult for football players. But instead of focusing on the difficulties possibly implied by that term, we should focus on the sense of accomplishment that is afforded by few other schools in the US. Telling a recruit that if you "get out" of Tech, that means you have really accomplished something special that few of your peers at other schools will ever be able to claim.

His name was Dr. Line and he taught differential equations. It was about a year later when I took a dynamics course that I figured out what I was supposed to learn in his class. I can still remember a few of the questions on my exam that were never covered in class or homework. That was 50 years ago. Most of the guys that finished Tech were the types that even when they missed questions on a test they didn’t understand would figure it out afterward just out of curiosity.
Is that the same Dr. Line who was known as "Machine Gun Line" in the early 60s?

Animal02

Banned
I "got out" in 1966, and I have never used any other terms than that one or "finished". If it's a detriment to recruiting, then it shouldn't be. It should instead be defined as a badge of honor, because it's a difficult school, and it's even more difficult for football players. But instead of focusing on the difficulties possibly implied by that term, we should focus on the sense of accomplishment that is afforded by few other schools in the US. Telling a recruit that if you "get out" of Tech, that means you have really accomplished something special that few of your peers at other schools will ever be able to claim.
Escaped is my favorite term.:p

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I only say "I got out" when talking to other GT alums. I always just thought it was more of an insider joke camaraderie thing than truly feeling that way. GT kicked my *** leftways and sideways, but I didn't leave feeling like I was escaping.

I only say "I got out" when talking to other GT alums. I always just thought it was more of an insider joke camaraderie thing than truly feeling that way. GT kicked my *** leftways and sideways, but I didn't leave feeling like I was escaping.
That's probably the same for me. I don't usually talk about graduating Tech ("getting out") to non Tech types, unless they ask me when I finished or graduated or got my degree. Then I usually just say the year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
How come none of these phenomenal 4* & 5*’s are asking what kinds of jobs they can get after they “get out” of GT? The percentages of making bank in the NFL are extremely slim. Surely our coaching staff has been talking to them about possible careers after they get out. We should have a huge leg up on muttville and the other factories. Or maybe guys is this category are more interested in bagging at Kroger than becoming a highly compensated professional?

Animal02

Banned
How come none of these phenomenal 4* & 5*’s are asking what kinds of jobs they can get after they “get out” of GT? The percentages of making bank in the NFL are extremely slim. Surely our coaching staff has been talking to them about possible careers after they get out. We should have a huge leg up on muttville and the other factories. Or maybe guys is this category are more interested in bagging at Kroger than becoming a highly compensated professional?
Why take the hard route when there is turf management?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
At a salary of 455k, The average UDFA makes what the average GT grad makes in a year of they last on a roster for just 2 weeks even if they aren't on a roster in a game. They make it through training camp, they make what a GT grad makes in 7.5 years in 4 months. Fact is UDFAs pay way more than degrees, and the higher your star, the more likely you are to make it. Training camp pays higher/week than what average GT grads make as well, even if you don't end up on a roster. And that's not including signing bonuses.