“I got out” bad for recruiting

Animal02

Banned
I never tried to steal the "T" but I did climb the tower. That's one damn steep roof.
I was a lookout....top of West Upper. Back when the stadium was open 24/7.
Having master keys was more fun....only places we could not get into was the President's office, cashier office and the nuke building. We even had a core puller and our own separate cores on a different master....we could replace the locks so we would not be surprised by someone else coming in. :cool:

I was a lookout....top of West Upper. Back when the stadium was open 24/7.
Having master keys was more fun....only places we could not get into was the President's office, cashier office and the nuke building. We even had a core puller and our own separate cores on a different master....we could replace the locks so we would not be surprised by someone else coming in. :cool:
upload_2018-6-13_15-28-13.png

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
It's really not comparable, but Davidson (where I played baseball) used to aggresively feature how hard the school was on all of their tours and materials. It was an explicit talking point on marketing materials and spoken by alums. I found it really off-putting that many alumni and students were visibly grumpy when I said that my first semester really was not impossibly hard. Did I make the same grades I did in high school, no, since there was a curriculum-wide forced curve in classes with more than XX students where only one "A" was allowed and there were a set number of "Ds" and "Cs".

I think it came from an inferiority complex. E.g. ivies and other comparable schools (who do not have to worry about their reputation.....) didn't ever mention it. These schools assumed that if you got in, you would thrive. Davidson figured that out and changed their recruiting to prominently feature named four/five year academic/athletic scholarships, and they work hard to keep good kids enrolled even when they are failing nearly everything in school. That's basically the only way they can ensure a competitive basketball team -- e.g. I took a required class with the best defender on the basketball team who was rumored to have a 0.0 at one point. He eventually graduated after being on scholarship without playing ball for a year. Now he is a D1 coach. Baseball is figuring this out over there too. Also, they don't voluntarily drug test...

I think Tech should do the same -- assume that everyone respects the hell out of Tech, which they do worldwide, and sell it as an elite place for elite people. If kids (athletes in particular) are not prepared academically -- maybe they have never taken the underlying math needed, or their writing skills are not initially passable -- but they are intelligent, hard working and can handle it once they are ramped up with tutoring, then this should be sold to them too. Just think about our reaction on this board to Cortez Alston transferring to Penn -- "can't go wrong with that" . This is the way people in these recruits' high schools should think about getting a full ride to Tech. My high school sent kids with nearly perfect records to Tech, and they chose it over Ivies/Stanford. Add the glamour of playing sports at the highest level and there is a lot to sell. Put another way, as some posters did, "getting in" should be celebrated since it really can be a ticket to a better life for a lot of kids.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Are we saying we will have a hard time competing until we offer degrees we can throw at people as they pass by on the connector like they do in Athens? I don’t buy it. I was here in 1990.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
As someone who recently graduated from Tech, the shaft is very much still around. I don’t know anyone in engineering who played video games and drank alcohol all day. I don’t care how Tech used to be; if you don’t put in the work, you’ll fail out. I had a class for which every single day I poured hours of intense study, effort, and every study strategy I knew into, not to mention the hours I spent in the professor’s office getting help on concepts that caused me to struggle, more than I put into any class before or since, and for my blood sweat and tears I got the only D in my academic career. Maybe Tech is easier than it was. Maybe that used to be every class. But to claim that Tech has gotten so easy that people are getting through without putting in work is frankly a huge insult to the people who are spending sleepless nights working like crazy. And sometimes the grades don’t reflect the amount of work; people can have comparative advantages and disadvantages after all. Sorry to go off on you a bit, but I promise that if anyone is getting through Tech with minimal effort, it’s because that person is so insanely smart that they don’t need to study.

Compltely agree. I had a coworker whose grandson was a "brain" that was at Tech last year. Flunked out after the 1st year and is now at UNG. People saying Tech has gotten easier is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. Its not. Maybe more selective but its still the hell it was when I got out in 2000.

I fail to see how saying "got out" affects recruiting. I don't go around talking to 18 year old prospects about how difficult my time at Tech was. In fact outside of Tech alum I'd bet most people dont know what the heck "got out" refers too.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Compltely agree. I had a coworker whose grandson was a "brain" that was at Tech last year. Flunked out after the 1st year and is now at UNG. People saying Tech has gotten easier is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. Its not. Maybe more selective but its still the hell it was when I got out in 2000.

I fail to see how saying "got out" affects recruiting. I don't go around talking to 18 year old prospects. In fact outside of Tech alum I'd bet most people dont know what the heck "got out" refers too.
Somebody needs to haul Peterson out of town & tell him not to come back.

There’s several elements to the getting easier:
A. Shift from quarters to semesters. In quarters you can be on probation in Qtr 2, on warning in Qtr 3 and ejected before your Sophomore year even starts. Can’t go that fast in Semesters obviously.
B. The grading has really changed. The All Man’s average now is probably 3.2 (I know they don’t publish All Man’s any more). There’s far more opportunities to get A’s & B’s now than ever before as opposed to when the All Man’s average was 2.6
C. They let you have a do-over which was unheard of in the good old days. How’d you liked to replace your F with a C or a D with a B on the second go-around? Would have done wonders for my GPA.
D. There’s a lot more tolerance for accepting transfer credit. If you’re slick you take the ball buster classes off-site & transfer them in.

Once again, we’re trying to compare 1960 or 1980 to 2018.Times have changed.

GT grads have a reputation of being able to hack it in the most difficult circumstances in industry and it’s largely due to the pressures they’re subjected to while at GT. We don’t need to turn our undergrads into a bunch of thumb sucking snowflakes & coddle them like little entitled brats. It doesn’t mean Johnny is a bad person or has failed at life if he can’t handle the academic workload at GT. Same as ringing the bell at BUD/S, etc. There’s plenty of phenomenally successful people that didn’t go to GT. Hell, I have close friends that failed out of GT & went to other top national universities and got their PhD’s and have had a far better career than I had.

Why do academic types come to GT in droves after hearing the phrase “I got out” instead of graduating & still chose to come while it chases away manly college football player types? Makes no sense.

Animal02

Banned
This is true. The shaft is mostly gone from Tech. Its a real shame, because based on my grades in high school, I probably barely got into Tech. But I graduated with a 3.2 because I worked my butt off. I don't care how smart you are, a certain percentage of people play video games all day, drink all night, and skip classes and goof off. Letting these people slide through is terrible. Tech is a lot easier than it used to be. Now on the flip side, our reputation is a lot better (in my opinion) than it was when I was there 25 or whatever years ago. So (I believe) our average student IS a lot better of a student than a long time ago and that does matter with retention. In fact I used to curse the 'system' when I was at Tech because if the class was full of Einsteins and professors had their set curve, 20% of Einsteins would fail out each class...and why was that fair? ....Its because a certain percentage of Einsteins do play video games all day, drink all night, and skip class, etc.

Its a new world. And its okay.

Now if someone wants to argue that humanity has changed and 10% or whatever of students don't play video games all day or drink all night etc etc I'm happy to have that debate. I can't imagine the basic profile of a human in that regard has changed.
I had top grades in H.S......and struggled at Tech. I found that people that had struggled a bit in H.S. did well at Tech because they knew they had to study. People like me that never had to in HS. learned a brutal lesson.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
C. They let you have a do-over which was unheard of in the good old days. How’d you liked to replace your F with a C or a D with a B on the second go-around? Would have done wonders for my GPA.

I sincerely hope that this is not true. "Do - overs"?????? At GT??? SMH. This is really sad, and depressing if true. Have any of you used the phrase 'do over" at your place of employment? i didn't think so,

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I sincerely hope that this is not true. "Do - overs"?????? At GT??? SMH. This is really sad, and depressing if true. Have any of you used the phrase 'do over" at your place of employment? i didn't think so,
You guys are showing your ignorance to how universities work.

You can retake classes you failed literally anywhere. That’s kind of the point of school. It doesn’t “replace” the failure Grade it just exists alongside it so now your gpa calculates both grades as separate entries but once you pass the class you get a check box saying you fulfilled that requirement.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

You can retake classes you failed literally anywhere. That’s kind of the point of school. It doesn’t “replace” the failure Grade it just exists alongside it so now your gpa calculates both grades as separate entries but once you pass the class you get a check box saying you fulfilled that requirement.

We know about taking classes we failed again. If you couldn't, the "1 in 3" you have heard about would more likely be the "1 in 5". Reread the post that i responded to, it said the B (or whatever) REPLACES the F, not averaged with the F. That is why I am incredulous. But as the kids say, it has been a "hot minute" since I graced the classrooms of Ma Tech. You could be right as far as I know. But I hope that you are not.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow

You can now replace a grade for certain entry level classes. Not sure if it replaced it for Hope Scholarship purposes though.