“I got out” bad for recruiting

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
My older son " GOT OUT" my younger son is " Getting Out" Sat !!!!! If you can play at this level and handle the academics, you can " GET OUT" Not many do. Any dead fish can float downstream. Sell IT... Honestly thats why this UGA Grad and Letterman, was " OK" with both Sons going to GT. The Degree is worth it. It has value. Its recognized .

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
What percentage of 4* and 5* make an NFL roster for 2 weeks or even one year? Heck include 3* and 2* players too.

... Less than 2% make a team. Basing that off off the percentage drafted, between 1.5 and 2% get drafted depending upon number then add some UDFA that MAKE a team.

That means 98% don't even get a Payday... Hope the have a better plan than make the NFL. Also, the one year players need a plan too...

Leaves
Those numbers are straight lies. Last year's draft had 60% of 5* get drafted and 23% of 4* get drafted. Good luck recruiting someone telling them they won't make the nfl when at least one other school will. 5% of 3* and 1% of 2 stars for the 2013 and 2014 high school classes. Is a degree useful? Yes? Will you be able to recruit someone by telling them the degree is worth more than a shot at the NFL? Not always. They counteract each other from a recruiting POV if someone else is offering. If I'm a recruit, I'm going to The place that gives me the best shot. And sells me that

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Those numbers are straight lies. Last year's draft had 60% of 5* get drafted and 23% of 4* get drafted. Good luck recruiting someone telling them they won't make the nfl when at least one other school will. 5% of 3* and 1% of 2 stars for the 2013 and 2014 high school classes. Is a degree useful? Yes? Will you be able to recruit someone by telling them the degree is worth more than a shot at the NFL? Not always. They counteract each other from a recruiting POV if someone else is offering. If I'm a recruit, I'm going to The place that gives me the best shot. And sells me that

My percentages were from the NCAA. Not just 4 and 5 [emoji93].
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-professional-athletics

NCAA Participants Approximate # Draft Eligible # Draft Picks # NCAA Drafted % NCAA to Major Pro % NCAA to Total Pro
Baseball 34,980 7,773 1,215 735 9.5% --
M Basketball 18,712 4,158 60 50 1.2% 19.3%
W Basketball 16,532 3,674 36 34 0.9% 4.9%
Football 73,063 16,236 253 253 1.6% 1.9%

using the percentages you provided for 5-star and 4-star from last year still tells us that 40% of the five stars and over 75% of the four stars aren't raking in the cash.

The real smart kids should be able to look through that.

Last edited:

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
My percentages were from the NCAA. Not just 4 and 5 [emoji93].
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-professional-athletics

NCAA Participants Approximate # Draft Eligible # Draft Picks # NCAA Drafted % NCAA to Major Pro % NCAA to Total Pro
Baseball 34,980 7,773 1,215 735 9.5% --
M Basketball 18,712 4,158 60 50 1.2% 19.3%
W Basketball 16,532 3,674 36 34 0.9% 4.9%
Football 73,063 16,236 253 253 1.6% 1.9%

using the percentages you provided for 5-star and 4-star from last year still tells us that 40% of the five stars and over 75% of the four stars aren't raking in the cash.

The real smart kids should be able to look through that.
Yes but your post directly mentioned 4* and 5* which is a different data set. Not all of them will, and most will know through injuries or being overrated really quickly where there stance is. Those numbers don't take into account being a UDFA, where I showed good money is available and chances are better for you than people who were rated lower. Should and could are different worlds in recruiting. Recruiting rankings matter at the end of the day

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes but your post directly mentioned 4* and 5* which is a different data set. Not all of them will, and most will know through injuries or being overrated really quickly where there stance is. Those numbers don't take into account being a UDFA, where I showed good money is available and chances are better for you than people who were rated lower. Should and could are different worlds in recruiting. Recruiting rankings matter at the end of the day
Agree that there is a high correlation with recruiting rankings and results on the field.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As someone who recently graduated from Tech, the shaft is very much still around. I don’t know anyone in engineering who played video games and drank alcohol all day. I don’t care how Tech used to be; if you don’t put in the work, you’ll fail out. I had a class for which every single day I poured hours of intense study, effort, and every study strategy I knew into, not to mention the hours I spent in the professor’s office getting help on concepts that caused me to struggle, more than I put into any class before or since, and for my blood sweat and tears I got the only D in my academic career. Maybe Tech is easier than it was. Maybe that used to be every class. But to claim that Tech has gotten so easy that people are getting through without putting in work is frankly a huge insult to the people who are spending sleepless nights working like crazy. And sometimes the grades don’t reflect the amount of work; people can have comparative advantages and disadvantages after all. Sorry to go off on you a bit, but I promise that if anyone is getting through Tech with minimal effort, it’s because that person is so insanely smart that they don’t need to study.

Speaking of insanely smart...there was this boy in our church who went to Tech and majored in computer science. He graduated magna cum laude and works for Microsoft now. Even so, he is one of the nicest, polite and humble young men you would ever want to meet. I think it is because he was in my Sunday School class for so long but I digress. Anyway, he told me that Tech was hard even though he was well prepared. He said that the thing most people going to Tech don't realize is how important work ethic and time management are to a student's success. He worked as a TA in mathematics and computer science and said that seldom did he see a student that simply could not do the work but he saw students that were not willing to make the sacrifices to be successful. He did say that he saw a good number of Asian students that struggled at Tech through no fault of their own due to language barriers. To give you an idea of the kind of person he is, he drove over 3 hours from Atlanta to attend my retirement party at the high school where I taught for 30 years. He did not have to do that but like I always say: Tech people have a very high degree of commitment and integrity. Speaking strictly as a sidewalk fan and definitely not an alumnus.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He worked as a TA in mathematics and computer science and said that seldom did he see a student that simply could not do the work but he saw students that were not willing to make the sacrifices to be successful. .

Very much agree. Contrary to popular belief, it's not always necessarily the smartest who got out. It was both the smartest...plus the dumbest who would not give up. If you were in between smart and stubborn you didn't make it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I

I think the combination of the Hope/Zell Miller Scholarship program, the popularity of rankings like the USN&WR Best Colleges, and the State dramatically cutting back funding changed the atmosphere academically at Ma Tech. With states cutting education budgets for higher education, the state universities had to start passing more of the cost onto the students. This, in combination with the opportunity to earn a free education in-state through the Hope/Miller scholarships, made it much more attractive to the top-tier student in the State of Georgia. So, a much higher percentage of these top GA students were staying at home as opposed to going somewhere out-of-state. This helped uga as well as Tech. To maintain the revenue stream, a 3.0 gpa (Dean's List at Tech) had to be maintainable by the in-state students. Remember, since Tech is a State school, 60% of incoming freshmen are supposed to be from Georgia. There was pressure from the Hill to make the courses more appropriately difficult. Also, the academic support programs instituted under Clough greatly improved the learning environment. In addition, the secondary schools in Georgia improved for the top students, thus better preparing a larger population of HS students to be able to survive the rigors of Tech.

So, as I see it, there was a great confluence of events that occurred around the turn of the century that drove the freshman retention rate from 35% to the 97% we have now.

Is the material easier today? Hell No.
Are the students "smarter?" I'd say probably not.
Are they better prepared? Most definitely.
Is it harder to get into Tech? Absolutely. (Although, with the common app, the number of applications submitted to Tech has increased tremendously. So, even with accepting more students that when I was there, the percentage accepted has dropped.)
Is it easier to stay in Tech and make it through? Probably (the statistics tend to support this conclusion)
Do you have to work your tail off to make it through? Absolutely.
Is it easier to make an "A" in a class? Not sure.
Is it easier to make a "B" in a class? I'd bet the farm on it.
Has the reputation improved from the 80's to the 10's? I'd say amongst those that deal with the engineering profession, NO; but, within the general population, I think more people outside the Southeast are aware of the academic prowess.

My father was a manufacturer's representative, sort of like a combination technical salesman/troubleshooter with a degree in Textile Engineering. The whole time I was growing up he was gone most of the week traveling all across the southeast and other parts of the country. He told me that no matter where he went or who he talked to...engineers, businessmen, ordinary folk, everyone had heard of Georgia Tech and had the upmost respect for the Institute. Make of that what you will.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with ADTS. Both of my kids graduated from Georgia Tech. They were not in prison and did not "get out." This is a totally negative term that does nothing to attract SA's.

Why is it negative? Stanford engineers are proud of getting in because it's pretty hard not to graduate once you're in. I'm proud of how I got into Tech and how I got out.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Why is it negative? Stanford engineers are proud of getting in because it's pretty hard not to graduate once you're in. I'm proud of how I got into Tech and how I got out.
You’re thinking of it from strickly from students stand point. These are not just students, but athletes who are coming to play ball. Nothing against the student athletes, but how many would come if they didn’t play a sport?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
you don't get out of something you want to do. With the saturation of college degrees nowadays, being difficult doesn't provide as much benefit as it did before, especially with most rankings systems toning down on the importance of raw academics and focusing on financial health, retention, and classroom dynamics as equal weight to academic prowess in academic rankings.
You don't volunteer to do jury duty, you get out of it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If a kid says he "got out of" class at a certain time, then WTH is bad about saying he "got out of" school, i.e., Tech?
Getting out of class, is just that, saying you got out of class. When someone says I got out, talking about GT, they are talking about the difficulty of the school, and that they were able to make it. Big difference imo. This is coming from a sidewalk fan, so I can definitely see how that would deter someone who is about more than just schooling away from GT.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I admittedly am not from Georgia and wasn't familiar at all with GT until looking for good southern schools (I lived in Northern VA and didn't like dealing with snow :ROFLMAO:). I never heard of "getting out" while doing my searches. It wasn't until freshman orientation when going over school traditions that it was even brought up, and even then, it was more a casual joking sort of way.

Getting worked up about this is a total head scratcher to me.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
You’re thinking of it from strickly from students stand point. These are not just students, but athletes who are coming to play ball. Nothing against the student athletes, but how many would come if they didn’t play a sport?

Can come vs want to come? I would support filtering out those prospects that don't want to come to Tech if they didn't play a sport.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Can come vs want to come? I would support filtering out those prospects that don't want to come to Tech if they didn't play a sport.
Might not have a team. I think kids want to come, but only to have the opportunity to play football and have schooling. If they could only have school, I doubt a lot would still come.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Might not have a team. I think kids want to come, but only to have the opportunity to play football and have schooling. If they could only have school, I doubt a lot would still come.
I didn't say that they could only have school. I said a good question to future prospects would be if they would want to come to Tech if they didn't play a sport.

Getting out of class, is just that, saying you got out of class. When someone says I got out, talking about GT, they are talking about the difficulty of the school, and that they were able to make it. Big difference imo. This is coming from a sidewalk fan, so I can definitely see how that would deter someone who is about more than just schooling away from GT.
Well, as I and others have said before, it should be presented as a badge of honor, and not a threat to personal ability. We are probably the only college in the country who uses that term, so why not let the uniqueness of it speak for itself. Play up the positive aspects of the term, that anyone graduating from Tech has accomplished something special, and that everyone who does graduate from Tech HAS accomplished something special, athletes possibly more than any others. I personally think that it's only negative to those who aren't willing to think outside the norm, and Tech is in no way the norm among colleges in the country, especially those that field football and basketball teams.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My older son " GOT OUT" my younger son is " Getting Out" Sat !!!!! If you can play at this level and handle the academics, you can " GET OUT" Not many do. Any dead fish can float downstream. Sell IT... Honestly thats why this UGA Grad and Letterman, was " OK" with both Sons going to GT. The Degree is worth it. It has value. Its recognized .
Thanks flea.
Your son will do great things

I heard a saying that described the maturing impact Ga Tech has on its grads. The saying is advice for a young teenager "First GRAB IRON - It makes the weak strong and the proud humble. "

As a scholar athlete at gt - Life will be much sweeter due to the time he has spent in the ring.