ZERO commits

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't necessarily expect a huge crowd for Miami OH, ACC championship be damned. But you even look at the ACC opener, 0-0 against UNC coming off a super strong performance against ranked Wisconsin and only 6000 people show up. That is pathetic. How do we not have 8600 for that game? By the way, I was there and probably 2000-3000 of the fans in attendance were wearing Carolina blue.

I can't force other people to enjoy GTMBB but Saturday from 5-7pm is literally my most anticipated 2 hours of this week. Probably 2nd most anticipated 2 hours of this week to Wednesday's 9-11pm since I actually got to attend that game in person, but you get the idea. I sense I'm in a small minority (along with everyone posting here) of Georgia Tech fans/alums who feel that way.
Good post and I think you’re right. I referenced the Miami OH game because it was the first opportunity most of us had to see them play in over a year. That was the point.

There’s been many games similar to the one you mentioned with Carolina. Hell FSU had more than anyone. That was probably the best crowd of the season and we played one of our better games. No coincidence.

I realize that not everyone cares as much as I/we do. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this tough season has caused to some to go off the deep end.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is a question for the group: in what years has Pastner performed worse than expectations? I agree this year he has. But what other year?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is a question for the group: in what years has Pastner performed worse than expectations? I agree this year he has. But what other year?

What I will call the Ron Bell year. Josh O dislocated his finger against GSU and that season seemed doomed from the start.

If I recall, that was 2017/2018 recruiting cycle, we had visits lined up with all of our top recruits, got them on campus and ended with Asanti Price.

From my vantage point, that year, we underachieved and never reached our potential.

slugboy

Staff member
I'd say Pastner underachieved this year. I think a coach like Tony Bennett and some other top coaches would have set us up better with the same players this year. There are some places in recruiting support and other areas where I think Pastner could use some support. He could either use a dynamic recruiter assistant or really sharp offensive assistant to use our players better. He's lost games he shouldn't have, but he's also shown an ability to overachieve--and having seen coaches that won't overachieve, like Gregory, I don't want to downplay how nice that is.

As for attendance, I'm baffled. On one hand, Hawks attendance has also been low, and they have a star and some watchable players. On the other hand, I feel like we do the bare minimum to publicize our games, ticket availability, or to draw people in. To some degree, I think Stansbury should find ways to get butts in seats or make it easy to get into seats and know about them. Maybe we think "we have a good program, people will just show up", but that's not enough. Maybe we are doing the right things and I'm just missing them, but printing tickets and hoping people will buy them isn't a winning strategy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm an addict so I know I'll miss GT basketball when it's gone regardless.

But every time I see we have a game and thus the season's not over, I can't help but feel ....

Animated GIF

:cry:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'd say Pastner underachieved this year. I think a coach like Tony Bennett and some other top coaches would have set us up better with the same players this year. There are some places in recruiting support and other areas where I think Pastner could use some support. He could either use a dynamic recruiter assistant or really sharp offensive assistant to use our players better. He's lost games he shouldn't have, but he's also shown an ability to overachieve--and having seen coaches that won't overachieve, like Gregory, I don't want to downplay how nice that is.

As for attendance, I'm baffled. On one hand, Hawks attendance has also been low, and they have a star and some watchable players. On the other hand, I feel like we do the bare minimum to publicize our games, ticket availability, or to draw people in. To some degree, I think Stansbury should find ways to get butts in seats or make it easy to get into seats and know about them. Maybe we think "we have a good program, people will just show up", but that's not enough. Maybe we are doing the right things and I'm just missing them, but printing tickets and hoping people will buy them isn't a winning strategy.
The loss to Miami University to open the season, followed by yawn producing OOC games were enough to have attendance at ~6500 for Wisconsin (lots of red in the stands) on a Wednesday night at 9:00. We followed that with a similar crowd (a lot of blue shirts in McCamish) for a blowout loss to UNC. Then we lost to LSU and USCw in double digit games. Then the two COVID games after the OT win over Ga State left our fans feeling less than impressed. Then we lost 5 of our next 6 ACC games and people were finding MASH reruns on TV were a better choice than driving into mid-town.

I have found my self spending time with my wife and staying up to watch the DVR recordings. But, I live nine hours away.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
The loss to Miami University to open the season, followed by yawn producing OOC games were enough to have attendance at ~6500 for Wisconsin (lots of red in the stands) on a Wednesday night at 9:00. We followed that with a similar crowd (a lot of blue shirts in McCamish) for a blowout loss to UNC. Then we lost to LSU and USCw in double digit games. Then the two COVID games after the OT win over Ga State left our fans feeling less than impressed. Then we lost 5 of our next 6 ACC games and people were finding MASH reruns on TV were a better choice than driving into mid-town.

I have found my self spending time with my wife and staying up to watch the DVR recordings. But, I live nine hours away.
I'd agree with this. It's hard to pull fans in when you are losing to teams that people think you should be beating. Of course, we know we are due for one OOC headscratcher a year, but it still weighs on the fans nonetheless. I also would find it hard to show up for a game tipping at 9PM on a weeknight. I can excuse it away for a weekend game, but its hard to show up knowing that the game will last till 11, driving back home, then work the next day. I know TV drives the times for games now, but why wouldn't we schedule these things for like 7 on a weeknight so we could attract more fans and them not worry about getting back at a decent hour for their obligations the next day? For me, it's much easier to turn it on at home so I can flip it off and get in bed as soon as its over. For a weekend game though, it's a different story.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Year 2, 3, 4 and 6. Year 2 and 3 we were a very bad team that didn't play up to our potential. Cellar dwellers. Year 4 because we were on Probation caused by the Coach and his relationship to a *******! If not on probation then the season would be a success but we were on probation so by definition it was a self imposed failure. Just my opinion.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nice try. The crowds have been **** from the opening game. First game in more than a year, defending ACC champs, and we get a 50% max crowd.

If our fan base wants a better program, it needs to invest in it. I’m not talking large sums of cash, invest your energy, stop being blowhards that demand all the shiny new things and want to do nothing for it. People like you get on here and talk trash like this, trying to make yourself look cool/smart (I’m not sure which), and have literally done absolutely nothing to make it better.

If this team is dull and boring, stop watching. No one will miss you. In fact, we can probably get back to some constructive conversations and less complaining. Personally, I do get excited watching Jalon Moore and Rodney begin to emerge, and this “bad” team was within one possession at the end like they have been in most games this year. You act like they’re getting blown out game after game.

Nobody’s telling you to love losing but put some respect on these kids and the effort they put forth every game. I’m tired of that ****.
Smoking the gold colored hope again I see. When the team is in last place in the ACC and the ACC is a very bad conference, as bad as it has been in decades, then at some point acknowledgment that things are wrong with the way the program is being run is necessary. If you don't like hearing the truth that's your issue. This is an opinion board, not a Gold Colored Glasses board where praise is given for playing worse then the other 14 teams in the Conference. Ignore me if you want. I don't care. This GT is bad. There is little to make me believe they will improve next year without significant changes in personnel and coaching. Pastner has the opportunity to do what Collins did this off season, restructure his staff for better recruting and better in game execution. No way to know if it will have any positive impact but our current path is a path to nowhere.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is true, especially early in the season. I know season ticket holder who chose not to attend for fear of COVID
Lots of GT fans are older folks so Covid really has had an impact on attendance. Had the team preformed like last year's team as Covid has declined I suspect attendance would be considerably better.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to be wrong that GT has this huge hidden fan base but I just haven't seen any proof that it is there.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I was a fan during the Dwayne Morrrison years and frequently sat in the chairback seats with a GA ticket. Rarely were there more than 2000 fans in attendance. Then Cremins began filling the house. If we can win, the fans will return.
Maybe you guys are just more optimistic than me and that is the issue but modern day Cremins doesn't last very long at GT. VT had Buzz poached by Texas A&M is a great example of what I'd think happens if GT can ever find that coach that starts to turn the program around.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
What I will call the Ron Bell year. Josh O dislocated his finger against GSU and that season seemed doomed from the start.

If I recall, that was 2017/2018 recruiting cycle, we had visits lined up with all of our top recruits, got them on campus and ended with Asanti Price.

From my vantage point, that year, we underachieved and never reached our potential.
That was year two, right? Imo The only reason that year two was considered an under achieving year was because year one he crushed it. I’d say maybe year three was a letdown.