ZERO commits

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This brings us back to money, corruption, & academics.
When I read that, first thing I thought of was,
🎶Doe, a deer, a female deer...

Agree. @dtm1997 and many others on this sight put their money were their mouth is and support GT Athletics even during down times.
Those withholding financial support as their way of expressing displeasure to GTAA only make it more difficult for GT to succeed.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those withholding financial support as their way of expressing displeasure to GTAA only make it more difficult for GT to succeed.
This is such an underrated true statement.

Too many of our fans practically boast about how they're gonna cut monetary support when monetary support is probably the most critical need at that point in time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From the football season ticket thread...
"Buying my three tickets again. But I have never been less enthusiastic about the season. Just doing it because I want to support the program until we get back to decent..."
This person has the fortitude of a true diehard fan.

Not so much here...
"Taking this season off until there is a proof of concept on the field. Not going to support the program if we continue down a path of total darkness/3 wins becoming the norm..."

slugboy

Staff member
How do those disadvantages impact our football program where you have 6 times more scholarship players? Will the valleys be longer as we are in now? Or is basketball different than football on this issue?

With the caveat that there are much better experts than me--I'm not a roundball expert--The best I can say is “it’s a mixed bag” (no pun intended)
  • One 5* makes a bigger impact on a basketball team than it does on a football team.
  • Basketball has about 7 players playing, and they have to play offense and defense. Football—through offense, defense, and special teams probably has about 40-50 or more players seeing game action. So, a small handful of players have a ton of leverage on how the team plays in basketball, and it's more diffused in football. In basketball, there are a lot of players that take over a game. In football, Lamar Jackson stands out more because a single player doesn’t take over games in football in the same way you see it in basketball.
  • The last two points talk about how a single player makes a bigger splash in basketball. You'd think that means you cater more to an individual player in basketball.
  • Now, the flip side--in big league football, you're competing in a pool of 130 teams. In basketball, you're competing with over 300, depending on where you draw the line. In football, we'd never lose a recruit to Xavier--in basketball, Wichita State can be huge.
  • So, with basic econ, individual players have a bigger impact. Supply of players is tighter int basketball than it is in football because there are only so many Zion's to go around and a Zion is a bigger deal in basketball than in football. Demand for players--especially game-changers--is higher because so many more schools compete. Thanks to AAU and the shoe companies and various leagues, the number of people walking around trying to influence young men looks a lot more common.
  • As far as the peaks and valleys are concerned, we're in a heckuva valley on the football side right now, and making a bowl game as P5 football team has usually been easier than making the NCAA tourney as a basketball team. Part of the reason the valleys are there is because the Ga States and the Mercer's have their paths to the NCAA's and their paths can be a lot easier. There are about -- I think -- 35 or so slots for P6 basketball teams. If you're not in the top third of the ACC year-in and year-out, you're looking at a drought, and Duke, UNC, and UVA have grabbed a big slice of the "top third".
  • Hewitt had recruiting going on here, and he went to the NCAA's about half the time (5 out of 11 years). If Pastner gets us back to the NCAA's every three years, that's a heckuva rebuild from Gregory.
As a total aside, I wonder about having a system like Loyola-Chicago where you can do damage without top-25 recruits. (Yes, I know their coach got poached after last season). Even an FSU where there's some star power but there's a plugable system where you can rotate some players has appeal. I understand having a get-old-stay-old system, and it's smart for us, but Pastner moved to that model after seeing what Notre Dame did with it--GOSO wasn't the plan he'd used before. We're "not old" right now, at least mostly not old, and it's coming with some rough W/L records this year.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a total aside, I wonder about having a system like Loyola-Chicago where you can do damage without top-25 recruits. (Yes, I know their coach got poached after last season). Even an FSU where there's some star power but there's a plugable system where you can rotate some players has appeal. I understand having a get-old-stay-old system, and it's smart for us, but Pastner moved to that model after seeing what Notre Dame did with it--GOSO wasn't the plan he'd used before. We're "not old" right now, at least mostly not old, and it's coming with some rough W/L records this year.
FSU is not a good example.. Charlton Young has the Noles swimming in blue-chips. They're plugging holes left by first round draft picks with 5 star guys we're praying for.

That said, I think that your point still stands. Until we can develop more consistency, our program is built around player development and our staff is very strong in that department.

The portal is going to be huge for us this offseason and going forward, but we will need to find guys like Jalon Moore and keep them improving.

Last edited:

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not an acceptance of poor performance, it's the reality of peaks & valleys in performance because of some inherent disadvantages GT faces.

I think too many had higher expectations than they should have for this past year, but think it's also fair to say the W/L record is lacking.

We're going through a valley that needs work on several aspects. Maybe we face another valley next year. Maybe we start climbing towards another peak.

Either way the medium to longer term expectations should take those disadvantages in to account that they are extremely challenging to overcome.
I was thinking realistically Tech would fall back to a .500 conference record this season so yes I am disappointed with results.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure we know that, but that doesn’t explain all the programs in the country. Atlanta area is loaded with talent. Some families do care about what educations can do for life past BB. Accepting poor performance as an inevitability is a cop out.
Auburn took a lot of our state’s good players. Seems like Tech just does not spend the $ to help Pastner recruit.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Auburn took a lot of our state’s good players. Seems like Tech just does not spend the $ to help Pastner recruit.
Pearl is a better recruiter and has bigger bags being dropped. It's a hard pull to steal from him. Still there's a lot of talent in the Atlanta metro region that wants to be near family and figure out the value of a Georgia Tech degree once they hit 19 and 20. We should focus getting those guys (Usher, Sturdy, Bubba) from the portal. Would have loved to see Walker Kessler come home from UNC but I think we are a little ways away from making something like that happen. Someday in the hopefully not-so-distant-future though.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. It seems that there are a lot of people willing to say “poor us” “our academics are too high and others cheat”.
Not sure what else can be said about the program. Now there really is not cheating anymore- just have to figure out a way to outspend/ outsmart other programs. One thing that we are delusional about though is our basketball fan base- not very big. Syracuse had 22k the other night for a weekday game against one of the last place teams in the ACC . What’s Tech averaging this year-5K? Those dollars add up and we don’t make them.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure what else can be said about the program. Now there really is not cheating anymore- just have to figure out a way to outspend/ outsmart other programs. One thing that we are delusional about though is our basketball fan base- not very big. Syracuse had 22k the other night for a weekday game against one of the last place teams in the ACC . What’s Tech averaging this year-5K? Those dollars add up and we don’t make them.
If you think we’re going to outspend anyone, I’ve got some bad news for you. We can’t even afford a locker room expansion.

That’s what many in this thread fail to recognize. Basketball recruiting and even a programs success is tied to revenue/money. That’s just a reality. To succeed otherwise takes a whole lot of things going right, and it is hard to sustain. See GT.

We can’t even get a good crowd to the first home game coming off a championship season and a year-long period of no fans. However, our fan base wants to know why we can’t recruit Atlanta or secure those 4-5 stars with regularity.

Bobby Cremins did it 30 years ago, so it is easy.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Pearl is a better recruiter and has bigger bags being dropped. It's a hard pull to steal from him. Still there's a lot of talent in the Atlanta metro region that wants to be near family and figure out the value of a Georgia Tech degree once they hit 19 and 20. We should focus getting those guys (Usher, Sturdy, Bubba) from the portal. Would have loved to see Walker Kessler come home from UNC but I think we are a little ways away from making something like that happen. Someday in the hopefully not-so-distant-future though.
Walker Kessler was never ever in 1000 years going to georgia tech some deep connections to the school in Athens

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
If you think we’re going to outspend anyone, I’ve got some bad news for you. We can’t even afford a locker room expansion.

That’s what many in this thread fail to recognize. Basketball recruiting and even a programs success is tied to revenue/money. That’s just a reality. To succeed otherwise takes a whole lot of things going right, and it is hard to sustain. See GT.

We can’t even get a good crowd to the first home game coming off a championship season and a year-long period of no fans. However, our fan base wants to know why we can’t recruit Atlanta or secure those 4-5 stars with regularity.

Bobby Cremins did it 30 years ago, so it is easy.
You are 100% on point Georgia tech is 14th in the ACC in attendance idk how it is fixed but huge issue.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing that we are delusional about though is our basketball fan base- not very big. Syracuse had 22k the other night for a weekday game against one of the last place teams in the ACC . What’s Tech averaging this year-5K?
Closer to 4K attendance every time I’ve bothered to look it up this season. Sometimes less. 4,300 is 50% capacity.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You are 100% on point Georgia tech is 14th in the ACC in attendance idk how it is fixed but huge issue.
Play better basketball for starters. If this year we had last year's team attendance would have been good. That team was good, exciting and entertaining to watch. This year's team is bad and dull to watch. The product matters a lot. We are selling a bad product this year!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Play better basketball for starters. If this year we had last year's team attendance would have been good. That team was good, exciting and entertaining to watch. This year's team is bad and dull to watch. The product matters a lot. We are selling a bad product this year!
Nice try. The crowds have been **** from the opening game. First game in more than a year, defending ACC champs, and we get a 50% max crowd.

If our fan base wants a better program, it needs to invest in it. I’m not talking large sums of cash, invest your energy, stop being blowhards that demand all the shiny new things and want to do nothing for it. People like you get on here and talk trash like this, trying to make yourself look cool/smart (I’m not sure which), and have literally done absolutely nothing to make it better.

If this team is dull and boring, stop watching. No one will miss you. In fact, we can probably get back to some constructive conversations and less complaining. Personally, I do get excited watching Jalon Moore and Rodney begin to emerge, and this “bad” team was within one possession at the end like they have been in most games this year. You act like they’re getting blown out game after game.

Nobody’s telling you to love losing but put some respect on these kids and the effort they put forth every game. I’m tired of that ****.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
UGA Clemson Auburn Alabama FSU Vandy Tennessee do I need to keep going all outdrew their season opening game and GT was defending ACC champs. If you can’t see the issue in GT not being able to sell out half the arena after the best season in over a decade and a max of 1200 people being able to attend those games we are just going to have to disagree.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don't necessarily expect a huge crowd for Miami OH, ACC championship be damned. But you even look at the ACC opener, 0-0 against UNC coming off a super strong performance against ranked Wisconsin and only 6000 people show up. That is pathetic. How do we not have 8600 for that game? By the way, I was there and probably 2000-3000 of the fans in attendance were wearing Carolina blue.

I can't force other people to enjoy GTMBB but Saturday from 5-7pm is literally my most anticipated 2 hours of this week. Probably 2nd most anticipated 2 hours of this week to Wednesday's 9-11pm since I actually got to attend that game in person, but you get the idea. I sense I'm in a small minority (along with everyone posting here) of Georgia Tech fans/alums who feel that way.