ZERO commits

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Let me first say I like Josh Pastner. He’s a good dude and you can tell players like playing for him. However, I’m in disbelief we have nobody committed when we are likely losing 4-5 guys. Even if you say ok we are gonna take a couple transfers, how do you not have a couple HS commits at this point? I truly don’t get it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let me first say I like Josh Pastner. He’s a good dude and you can tell players like playing for him. However, I’m in disbelief we have nobody committed when we are likely losing 4-5 guys. Even if you say ok we are gonna take a couple transfers, how do you not have a couple HS commits at this point? I truly don’t get it.
As it stands, we currently have three spots to offer next year. Potentially less if someone decided to return. Remember we lose a ship due to NCAA sanctions.

The plan from the beginning has been to swing big in the transfer market. We were extremely selective in the HS targets we had, and when we missed on those guys, we turned our attention to the portal.

In my opinion, the outcome of the season to this point has made it clear that strategy is absolutely the right call.

The only way we sign four or five is if more people leave.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

topic spawned by this same question, about the 50th time it was brought up.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

topic spawned by this same question, about the 50th time it was brought up.
Thank you!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
As it stands, we currently have three spots to offer next year. Potentially less if someone decided to return. Remember we lose a ship due to NCAA sanctions.

The plan from the beginning has been to swing big in the transfer market. We were extremely selective in the HS targets we had, and when we missed on those guys, we turned our attention to the portal.

In my opinion, the outcome of the season to this point has made it clear that strategy is absolutely the right call.

When do we get that scholly back? Didn't we win an appeal? Is the NCAA just running out the clock?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

I did forget about the lost one. Wouldnt we still have 4 though? Moore, usher, devoe and parham? Or are you including parham as returning?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We also have ZERO football recruits for 2023...
We had a bunch in football for 2022 which is the year this topic is about. The early BB signing period for 2022 was in November 2021. We signed zero HS players. It's a recurring problem during CJP's tenure. Pretty much his biggest issue by a lot. He is pretty solid in all other areas. Unfortunately recruting is about 60% of his job.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I did forget about the lost one. Wouldnt we still have 4 though? Moore, usher, devoe and parham? Or are you including parham as returning?
Usher and Parham don’t count, they are COVID Super Seniors. So we only lose Moore and Devoe (potentially, they could also stay for a COVID year).

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
COVID extra year has really made roster management extra difficult. We didn’t get any portal transfers last summer, in part because candidates didn’t know if Jose and Moses were coming back as COVID Super Seniors.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
COVID extra year has really made roster management extra difficult. We didn’t get any portal transfers last summer, in part because candidates didn’t know if Jose and Moses were coming back as COVID Super Seniors.
My question is why would anyone have really believed either Jose or Moses were actually coming back. They had done everything they could in college as far as there development went.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
If this years team had a center producing 1/2 to 2/3 of what Moses Wright did last year - this team is above 500 in the ACC.
The point guard play was shaky early in the season, but has improved considerably and is not significant cause for concern.

The two problems I see leading to most losses are - no inside threat on offense (have to rely on jumpers too much, other bigs sag off Howard/Saba/Meka to clog things up, and limited options when players penetrate - the other night I saw Kentucky lob to big several times on penetration - we do not have that threat).
The other issues is lack of strong big on defense - shot blocking, defending the post, etc - which leads to GT needing to be more aggressive and some of the foul disparity.

The #1 priority for next season is a quality big from the transfer portal that can step in a play at ACC level.
--- Howard/Saba/Meka in some combination are good enough already to cover for 5-10 minutes a game, and I do think Saba/Meka can develop with another years work.
--- Not likely any HS player (unless 5*) could step in and play like we would need next season
The 4 spot, I could see us being ok if Khalid Moore chooses to play the extra year, with Jalon Moore playing behind him
--- If Khalid Moore does not come back, I think needs to be addressed via transfer portal.
--- I see a ton of potential in Jalon Moore, but TBD if he is ready to play starter minutes next season or not
I do agree with comments in another thread that CJP should also target a proven wing scorer - gives more room for error to the young players that will be very good in two years (and better next year than this year).

With the play immediately change to the transfer portal - teams can use this to fill gaps. Wake and Miami are good examples that if you get the right players there you can go from 6-14 in league to 14-6.

Curious as well why we have not seen Saba last couple of games. He is the best of the three on offense, but his foot speed and ability to defend quicker players is a liability every ACC team has exploited - hoping he is still growing into that body and improves there .

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If this years team had a center producing 1/2 to 2/3 of what Moses Wright did last year - this team is above 500 in the ACC.
The point guard play was shaky early in the season, but has improved considerably and is not significant cause for concern.

The two problems I see leading to most losses are - no inside threat on offense (have to rely on jumpers too much, other bigs sag off Howard/Saba/Meka to clog things up, and limited options when players penetrate - the other night I saw Kentucky lob to big several times on penetration - we do not have that threat).
The other issues is lack of strong big on defense - shot blocking, defending the post, etc - which leads to GT needing to be more aggressive and some of the foul disparity.

The #1 priority for next season is a quality big from the transfer portal that can step in a play at ACC level.
--- Howard/Saba/Meka in some combination are good enough already to cover for 5-10 minutes a game, and I do think Saba/Meka can develop with another years work.
--- Not likely any HS player (unless 5*) could step in and play like we would need next season
The 4 spot, I could see us being ok if Khalid Moore chooses to play the extra year, with Jalon Moore playing behind him
--- If Khalid Moore does not come back, I think needs to be addressed via transfer portal.
--- I see a ton of potential in Jalon Moore, but TBD if he is ready to play starter minutes next season or not
I do agree with comments in another thread that CJP should also target a proven wing scorer - gives more room for error to the young players that will be very good in two years (and better next year than this year).

With the play immediately change to the transfer portal - teams can use this to fill gaps. Wake and Miami are good examples that if you get the right players there you can go from 6-14 in league to 14-6.

Curious as well why we have not seen Saba last couple of games. He is the best of the three on offense, but his foot speed and ability to defend quicker players is a liability every ACC team has exploited - hoping he is still growing into that body and improves there .
Good stuff Glandon..Right on the money. I always enjoy your post! Our plan for next season centers around the portal. It is vital that we see a big win there.

To your point, our current big men will continue to develop, and we can find one among them to give us depth in the paint. Jordan Meka is very capable of turning into a very good role player for us.

That being the case, I think that the target will be someone in the mold of Moses body type and game. Someone that is skilled enough to play in the paint or put it on the floor.

Moses was only 6'8, but he was able to block a ton of shots and defend guys bigger than him due to his long arms and athletic ability. That versatility is huge for the way we like to play.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My question is why would anyone have really believed either Jose or Moses were actually coming back. They had done everything they could in college as far as there development went.
Well, initially neither was on anyone's mock draft and it seemed a long shot that either would get a G-league contract. Clearly, that was way off for Jose as he looks likely to get a full NBA contract after this season. That said, both kept open their return for a long time.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well, initially neither was on anyone's mock draft and it seemed a long shot that either would get a G-league contract. Clearly, that was way off for Jose as he looks likely to get a full NBA contract after this season. That said, both kept open their return for a long time.
The coach’s responsibility to the team going forward. Jose has a child. He was going to make money playing professionally somewhere. Moses was also going to play professional BB even if it wasn’t in the NBA. Just a foolish decision by CJP to let these decisions linger. The downside for GT’s future was too great as we can see by this year’s bottom feeder team. We will also feel the impact next year. Getting players is a huge part of a coaches job.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Good stuff Glandon..Right on the money. I always enjoy your post! Our plan for next season centers around the portal. It is vital that we see a big win there.

To your point, our current big men will continue to develop, and we can find one among them to give us depth in the paint. Jordan Meka is very capable of turning into a very good role player for us.

That being the case, I think that the target will be someone in the mold of Moses body type and game. Someone that is skilled enough to play in the paint or put it on the floor.

Moses was only 6'8, but he was able to block a ton of shots and defend guys bigger than him due to his long arms and athletic ability. That versatility is huge for the way we like to play.
There are no big wins in the portal. Only guys that find themselves at the bottom of the depth charts with no chance of gaining playing time. If a transfer ends up being a major contributor on his new team, it most likely means his new team did not have any good players. If you are an average player looking for playing time, you search for the worst team you can find.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
There are no big wins in the portal. Only guys that find themselves at the bottom of the depth charts with no chance of gaining playing time. If a transfer ends up being a major contributor on his new team, it most likely means his new team did not have any good players. If you are an average player looking for playing time, you search for the worst team you can find.
This just simply isn't true from any point of view. Look at Wake Forest this year. You only have to look as far as James Banks on our own team to see this isn't true. Dude was an above average player sitting behind a lottery pick and wanted out. Also for the 5 position "an average player" would be a major improvement. We're like 8 points and 1.5 blocks/ game (completely made up numbers off the top of my head) from a true big man away from being a decent team right now. So by all means lets go get an average guy. Worse case scenario he's good enough to push Howard/Saba/Meka

People transfer for a million different reasons and you don't even have to pretend you're moving closer to home to be with a sick relative anymore. Sure there are plenty of guys who will not contribute much no matter where they go but to say there are no big wins has no basis in fact.