Votes: 20 14.9%
  • Dislike

Votes: 40 29.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 74 55.2%

• Total voters

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Way to go Ken - the tie was all that separated us from a split title. Well, the 5th down play happened too ya know, LOL.

Mack Brown was one of the architects of the Fake University.

I feel like I'm going to regret asking, but assuming the "way to go Ken" isn't sarcasm, what's the problem with the story?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Former Tennessee head football coach Johnny Majors returned to Pitt for 4 seasons from 1993-1996

1993 3-8
1994 3-8
1995 2-9
1996 4-7
Thomas Wolfe was right: "You can't go home again" In the case of football coaches, it is because everything changes, what worked before does not work as well the second time around. Recruiting changes, assistants change, administrators change. It is disheartening to wake up and find that your competitors who you used to own are now smarter and much more difficult to deal with than in the old days. Johnny Majors did not forget how to coach, but Pitt was not the same. The same thing happened with Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss. He retired for a few years and when he came back the old split T that worked like a charm when the Rebels had Jimmy "King" Lear sputtered. Coach Brown will find things a little bit harder this time around I suspect. Not to say Coach Collins should not be concerned because Brown is canny, corrupt, and utterly without scruples. He would sell his mother down the river to get a player. Fun times ahead

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Brown was intelligent enough to grab former Army DC Jay Bateman, who did a grand job with Monken the past five years. If Bateman can't do a good+ job with the Tarheel defense, no one can.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Thomas Wolfe was right: "You can't go home again" In the case of football coaches, it is because everything changes, what worked before does not work as well the second time around. Recruiting changes, assistants change, administrators change. It is disheartening to wake up and find that your competitors who you used to own are now smarter and much more difficult to deal with than in the old days. Johnny Majors did not forget how to coach, but Pitt was not the same. The same thing happened with Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss. He retired for a few years and when he came back the old split T that worked like a charm when the Rebels had Jimmy "King" Lear sputtered. Coach Brown will find things a little bit harder this time around I suspect. Not to say Coach Collins should not be concerned because Brown is canny, corrupt, and utterly without scruples. He would sell his mother down the river to get a player. Fun times ahead

I think Bill Snyder(Kansas State) may be the only one who really got anything going again, outside of a having a superior talent like Lamar Jackson. They were not very good during his hiatus.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I think Bill Snyder(Kansas State) may be the only one who really got anything going again, outside of a having a superior talent like Lamar Jackson. They were not very good during his hiatus.
John Robinson returned to USC from 1993-1997 and USC wasn't near what they were during his first time at USC from 1976-1982. He also got USC put on NCAA Probation during his second time as USC head football coach.

1993 8-5 (Won Freedom Bowl over Utah)
1994 8-3-1 (Won Cotton Bowl over Texas Tech)
1995 9-2-1 (Won Rose Bowl over Northwestern)
1996 6-6
1997 6-5

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Brown was intelligent enough to grab former Army DC Jay Bateman, who did a grand job with Monken the past five years. If Bateman can't do a good+ job with the Tarheel defense, no one can.
But remember army student-athletes are smarter and listen to the coach. Different type of athlete at a military Institution then most colleges maybe not as good of an athlete, one would fine at UNC but a lot different plus he would be going against better teams. I'm not saying he ain't a good coach because I don't know him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not at all pleased that he is back. Yeah, he is old but he can recruit at a place that is perfectly willing to do shady stuff. To me, UNC is a bigger threat going forward than VT, perhaps on par with Miami as far as who we're going to have to beat to win our division. Not right away, necessarily, but in the coming years.
Everything that happened at Chapel Hill happened on somebody else's watch, never on Brown's. We're already seeing his strength in recruiting and staff building, and he will bring order out of Fedora's chaos. I think Carolina gets really decent quickly and better later. And Brown brings experience and game coaching skills UNC has not had for several years. Dunno how VT will be going forward, but you are right in that UNC is going to be a contender, and the ACC really needs it. (I am still shellshocked over VT's defense last year. Astonished, really.)

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
A fellow once chastised the younger me by noting that, "If you want to be taken seriously, be serious."
th

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Bill Snyder at KState is the only modern coach to pull it off. Historically, General Neyland at Tennessee was able to pull off returns to campus twice. (He left both times for military service and won conference and/or national titles in all of his stints.)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think Bill Snyder at KState is the only modern coach to pull it off. Historically, General Neyland at Tennessee was able to pull off returns to campus twice. (He left both times for military service and won conference and/or national titles in all of his stints.)

Yes, but that was General Neyland. Even the Bear was scared of him. Coach Dodd in his autobiography listed beating Tennessee in Knoxville during his second year as one of his absolute biggest wins because it was at his alma mater and against the General. Boy howdy, in those days if Tennessee got up a touchdown it was just about game over.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but that was General Neyland. Even the Bear was scared of him. Coach Dodd in his autobiography listed beating Tennessee in Knoxville during his second year as one of his absolute biggest wins because it was at his alma mater and against the General. Boy howdy, in those days if Tennessee got up a touchdown it was just about game over.
Yeah. That man could coach, and it goes to show just how rare a successful retread is.