1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Your thoughts on Mack Brown?

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by CuseJacket, May 16, 2019.

?
  1. Like

20 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Dislike

40 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. Meh

74 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. GT14

GT14 Ramblin' Wreck

I feel like I'm going to regret asking, but assuming the "way to go Ken" isn't sarcasm, what's the problem with the story?

2. Heisman's Ghost

Heisman's Ghost Helluva Engineer

Thomas Wolfe was right: "You can't go home again" In the case of football coaches, it is because everything changes, what worked before does not work as well the second time around. Recruiting changes, assistants change, administrators change. It is disheartening to wake up and find that your competitors who you used to own are now smarter and much more difficult to deal with than in the old days. Johnny Majors did not forget how to coach, but Pitt was not the same. The same thing happened with Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss. He retired for a few years and when he came back the old split T that worked like a charm when the Rebels had Jimmy "King" Lear sputtered. Coach Brown will find things a little bit harder this time around I suspect. Not to say Coach Collins should not be concerned because Brown is canny, corrupt, and utterly without scruples. He would sell his mother down the river to get a player. Fun times ahead

gtwcf, bwelbo, LargeFO and 1 other person like this.
  3. 1939hotmagic

1939hotmagic Helluva Engineer

Brown was intelligent enough to grab former Army DC Jay Bateman, who did a grand job with Monken the past five years. If Bateman can't do a good+ job with the Tarheel defense, no one can.

TVan and UpperNorth like this.
  4. gtwcf

gtwcf Helluva Engineer

I think Bill Snyder(Kansas State) may be the only one who really got anything going again, outside of a having a superior talent like Lamar Jackson. They were not very good during his hiatus.

5. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

He's already signed five 4-star guys for his 2020 class so I'm already tired of him.

GCdaJuiceMan, GT14, UgaBlows and 3 others like this.
  6. YellowJacketFan2018

YellowJacketFan2018 Helluva Engineer

John Robinson returned to USC from 1993-1997 and USC wasn't near what they were during his first time at USC from 1976-1982. He also got USC put on NCAA Probation during his second time as USC head football coach.

1993 8-5 (Won Freedom Bowl over Utah)
    1994 8-3-1 (Won Cotton Bowl over Texas Tech)
    1995 9-2-1 (Won Rose Bowl over Northwestern)
    1996 6-6
    1997 6-5

Heisman's Ghost likes this.
  7. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

But remember army student-athletes are smarter and listen to the coach. Different type of athlete at a military Institution then most colleges maybe not as good of an athlete, one would fine at UNC but a lot different plus he would be going against better teams. I'm not saying he ain't a good coach because I don't know him.

8. GoldZ

GoldZ Helluva Engineer

A full grade level upgrade to ugag standards. We ded.

Heisman's Ghost and stech81 like this.
  9. Skeptic

Skeptic Helluva Engineer

Everything that happened at Chapel Hill happened on somebody else's watch, never on Brown's. We're already seeing his strength in recruiting and staff building, and he will bring order out of Fedora's chaos. I think Carolina gets really decent quickly and better later. And Brown brings experience and game coaching skills UNC has not had for several years. Dunno how VT will be going forward, but you are right in that UNC is going to be a contender, and the ACC really needs it. (I am still shellshocked over VT's defense last year. Astonished, really.)

GSOJacket likes this.
  10. Skeptic

Skeptic Helluva Engineer

A fellow once chastised the younger me by noting that, "If you want to be taken seriously, be serious."

Animal02 likes this.
  11. 85Escape

85Escape Helluva Engineer

[​IMG]

12. Fatmike91

Fatmike91 Helluva Engineer

I don’t often think about Mack Brown. So I guess I vote meh.

/

YellowJacketFan2018 likes this.
  13. Skeptic

Skeptic Helluva Engineer

can you explain, please?

14. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

The fake classes began when he was coach there.

Heisman's Ghost likes this.
  15. HurricaneJacket

HurricaneJacket Helluva Engineer

I think Bill Snyder at KState is the only modern coach to pull it off. Historically, General Neyland at Tennessee was able to pull off returns to campus twice. (He left both times for military service and won conference and/or national titles in all of his stints.)

16. Heisman's Ghost

Heisman's Ghost Helluva Engineer

Yes, but that was General Neyland. Even the Bear was scared of him. Coach Dodd in his autobiography listed beating Tennessee in Knoxville during his second year as one of his absolute biggest wins because it was at his alma mater and against the General. Boy howdy, in those days if Tennessee got up a touchdown it was just about game over.

HurricaneJacket likes this.
  17. HurricaneJacket

HurricaneJacket Helluva Engineer

Yeah. That man could coach, and it goes to show just how rare a successful retread is.

18. Skeptic

Skeptic Helluva Engineer

ok. thanks