Votes: 20 14.9%
  • Dislike

Votes: 40 29.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 74 55.2%

• Total voters

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I hated to see Fedora go - but it was inevitable. It's hard to recruit when others will say he will be gone soon. He's had previous success and can coach but it's going to be a battle to defeat the naysayers recruiting against him. I guess his selling point will be he won a NC.
And you can play at UNC and only need to read on a 4th grade level.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of sleeping on Mack. I hope you guys are right. But he just landed one heck of a qb. I dont think the game has passed him by. If anything, his CEO style of coaching is a better fit than ever. I hate saying this stuff and I very much hope to be wrong.

Mack is as good as his quarterback, so if that guy proves to be any good, watch out. He's always had solid D's, and let his QB carry the team.

Vince and Colt took Texas to the promised land, but Gilbert and McCoy the younger had issues keeping the momentum. I don't know how he'll fare at UNC again, but my guess is at worst he will be a good custodian of the position for a few years before "retiring" to an athletic department schmoozing job.

As for whether I like him, I'm a Texas Ex, so yeah, I kind of do.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UNC was like 1-10 the first couple of seasons under Mack. That tie in 1990 was such a fluke with the way we moved the ball on them but couldn't score TD's. The fumbled punt inside our 10 almost cost us a tie and could have been a loss. He did get his recruiting train rolling and got a lot of really good players out of Virginia plus they had minimal entrance standards for athletes and probably still do.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
UNC was like 1-10 the first couple of seasons under Mack. That tie in 1990 was such a fluke with the way we moved the ball on them but couldn't score TD's. The fumbled punt inside our 10 almost cost us a tie and could have been a loss. He did get his recruiting train rolling and got a lot of really good players out of Virginia plus they had minimal entrance standards for athletes and probably still do.
**** Crum got North Carolina on NCAA Probation in 1987(I think it had to do with running back Derrick Fenner) and the cupboard was completely empty of talent when Mack Brown took over in 1988. It's still a sore point with me that North Carolina's only win in 1988 was a 20-17 win over Georgia Tech:banghead::vomit::dead:

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
**** Crum got North Carolina on NCAA Probation in 1987(I think it had to do with running back Derrick Fenner) and the cupboard was completely empty of talent when Mack Brown took over in 1988. It's still a sore point with me that North Carolina's only win in 1988 was a 20-17 win over Georgia Tech:banghead::vomit::dead:

I remember Fenner as a kid,the acc raycom TV game of the week, Unc was always on it seemed like. Then basketball season was JR Reid. I grew up here around Atlanta but Unc games were not hard to come by.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I remember Fenner as a kid,the acc raycom TV game of the week, Unc was always on it seemed like. Then basketball season was JR Reid. I grew up here around Atlanta but Unc games were not hard to come by.
The Raycom ACC Game of the Week in the mid-late 1980s always seemed to be a game with Clemson,North Carolina or North Carolina State:LOL:

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He was a good recruiter at UNC and turned them into a contender except he couldn't beat FSU back then and he realized he never would. He also went through a divorce in Chapel Hill and was ready to move on with his new family. He was disappointed when he had a really good team and the fans left at halftime to watch a basketball scrimmage. He realized that FB was 2nd fiddle at UNC. The alums I know up here in Tar heel land totally trashed him when he left. Interesting now that he is back but I have not heard a lot of excitement from the older alums. Football is what they do to get ready for basketball season in Chapel Hill. His success will depend on his assistant coaches. He had a good staff to start at Texas and that ultimately fizzled over time. Texas A&M started getting a lot of players in Texas that UT normally got. He will have more competition on the recruiting trail now from NC State and Duke. They will be better under him but I don't expect them to be a dominant team like clemson.
From my perspective (live in NC), Golftime is on the money as to why he left. UNC now realizes how much they miss him based on the performance of his successors. UNC has a lot of advantages that could result in them having a much better football program than they've had historically - flagship state university, good facilities, plenty of money, favorable press, currently no dominate competitor in Coastal Division. A significant weakness goes back to a key reason Mac Brown left - at heart they're still a basketball school.....

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
From my perspective (live in NC), Golftime is on the money as to why he left. UNC now realizes how much they miss him based on the performance of his successors. UNC has a lot of advantages that could result in them having a much better football program than they've had historically - flagship state university, good facilities, plenty of money, favorable press, currently no dominate competitor in Coastal Division. A significant weakness goes back to a key reason Mac Brown left - at heart they're still a basketball school.....
North Carolina as far as football goes is a lot like Kentucky