Votes: 20 14.9%
  • Dislike

Votes: 40 29.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 74 55.2%

• Total voters

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
What I remember before at UNC, he recruited on a par with Bobby Bowden at FSU but could never quite get it done, always seemed to come up a little short. I don't know if he is a cheat, hard to tell at UNCheat. One thing you know for sure, the conference office will see that they get all the breaks.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
What I remember before at UNC, he recruited on a par with Bobby Bowden at FSU but could never quite get it done, always seemed to come up a little short. I don't know if he is a cheat, hard to tell at UNCheat. One thing you know for sure, the conference office will see that they get all the breaks.
Mack Brown's North Carolina teams of the 1990s in my opinion always seemed to be intimidated by FSU.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
He started falling off at Texas the last 4 or so years. Not sure a 6 year break after that will make him much better. They'll probably continue to be UNC, which involves lots of cheating and still sucking at football. Will he be better than Fedora? Maybe, but I expect him to go 7-5 or so for a few years before retiring for good.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
He started falling off at Texas the last 4 or so years. Not sure a 6 year break after that will make him much better. They'll probably continue to be UNC, which involves lots of cheating and still sucking at football. Will he be better than Fedora? Maybe, but I expect him to go 7-5 or so for a few years before retiring for good.

Per my Longhorn son-in-law, Mack pretty much kept too loose a rein on his 4 & 5 star recruits. Entitlement (i.e. character) issues set in. Colt McCoy is a Texas legend, but he couldn't get them back where Vince Young had just taken them. Plus places like Baylor & TCU stepped up their games & Bill Snyder went back to K-State. A perfect storm of these & off the field issues led to fewer wins and an invitation to go into Alumni Fund Raising & moonlighting at ESPN.

How all that translates to UNC remains to be seen, but the ACC Mack left for Texas in 1998 bears no resemblance to what the ACC is today. Mack was the Sierra Hotel "up & comer" when he left, and now he's a band aid.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He was a good recruiter at UNC and turned them into a contender except he couldn't beat FSU back then and he realized he never would. He also went through a divorce in Chapel Hill and was ready to move on with his new family. He was disappointed when he had a really good team and the fans left at halftime to watch a basketball scrimmage. He realized that FB was 2nd fiddle at UNC. The alums I know up here in Tar heel land totally trashed him when he left. Interesting now that he is back but I have not heard a lot of excitement from the older alums. Football is what they do to get ready for basketball season in Chapel Hill. His success will depend on his assistant coaches. He had a good staff to start at Texas and that ultimately fizzled over time. Texas A&M started getting a lot of players in Texas that UT normally got. He will have more competition on the recruiting trail now from NC State and Duke. They will be better under him but I don't expect them to be a dominant team like clemson.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not at all pleased that he is back. Yeah, he is old but he can recruit at a place that is perfectly willing to do shady stuff. To me, UNC is a bigger threat going forward than VT, perhaps on par with Miami as far as who we're going to have to beat to win our division. Not right away, necessarily, but in the coming years.

Boy. 25 years of listening to that. See it believe it for me.

But i agree he is a formidable opponent to recruit against. I just dont think he has the same energy and over time he will tail off

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I was a university of Texas fan growing up, so i love the guy. Don't really want him to succeed at UNC, but have immense respect for him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Boy. 25 years of listening to that. See it believe it for me.

But i agree he is a formidable opponent to recruit against. I just dont think he has the same energy and over time he will tail off

Biggest challenge will be getting the fan support, I think.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Y'all do understand he was hired as a temporary fix and his assistant coaches will be doing the coaching not really him. He will stay 3 years while they search for their next head coach.

( by the way I made this crap up I have no idea what UNC will do or him)

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hated to see Fedora go - but it was inevitable. It's hard to recruit when others will say he will be gone soon. He's had previous success and can coach but it's going to be a battle to defeat the naysayers recruiting against him. I guess his selling point will be he won a NC.