• Dislike

Votes: 40 29.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 74 55.2%

• Total voters

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: New UNC coach Mack Brown on his return, Georgia Tech, recruiting Atlanta
Brown coached against the Yellow Jackets each of his 10 years at North Carolina (1988-97) and left for Texas with a 6-3-1 record against Tech. (The Yellow Jackets’ 13-13 tie with the Tar Heels in 1990 likely was all that separated Tech from an undisputed national championship.)
Brown and Collins’ staffs already have squared off on the recruiting trail in the state of Georgia. North Carolina has received commitments from three in-state players in the class of 2020 that Tech has also offered – wide receiver Josh Downs from North Gwinnett High and offensive tackle Trey Zimmerman and tight end John Copenhaver, both from Roswell High.

Poll included.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not at all pleased that he is back. Yeah, he is old but he can recruit at a place that is perfectly willing to do shady stuff. To me, UNC is a bigger threat going forward than VT, perhaps on par with Miami as far as who we're going to have to beat to win our division. Not right away, necessarily, but in the coming years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mack Brown would have done well in politics. The guy knows how to charm a room, and is the ultimate "CEO coach". Never says anything bad about any coach or team if asked.

On the football side of things, he hit a homerun with Jay Bateman his DC. His OC is a bit of mixed bag, but it's an offense that recruits like.

He's going to be a thorn in our side on the recruiting trail as long as he's at UNC.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well he has really upped the UNC recruiting which is a big deal especially with Collins because he is going to snag some of our targets. Otherwise I don't have specific ill will toward him, but I really dislike UNC football overall. Serial underperformers with little tradition, underwhelming fan support, annoying snack talkers, and frustratingly snagged some games from us (see: 2014). Also, Fedora was a huge whiner. He was Cutcliffe but hadn't earned the right to be. Mack? Seems generally affable but apparently left a lot of skeletons in the closet when he left Texas. Doesn't give me the outright shady vibe that Kirby does, but if he's going to push the rules at UNC, I'm sure I'll grow to hate.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm in the meh category. I think the game has slightly passed him by, and he got a bit complacent at UT. He or his staff really missed the boat at QB after Colt McCoy graduated.

He seemed a bit overwhelmed when he saw what he was going to face at Clemson when CPJ started talking facts.

Probably will be good for fundraising and culture building (potentially) but I'm still not sold on the CEO head coach model.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Think he won at Tulane (?) before going to unc.

Then he won at unc before winning at Texas.

But trying to recall how a HC has done when returning to a previous stop. Can't remember a scenario quite like this.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Think he won at Tulane (?) before going to unc.

Then he won at unc before winning at Texas.

But trying to recall how a HC has done when returning to a previous stop. Can't remember a scenario quite like this.
Former Tennessee head football coach Johnny Majors returned to Pitt for 4 seasons from 1993-1996

1993 3-8
1994 3-8
1995 2-9
1996 4-7

slugboy

Staff member
Great recruiter. Not much on X's and O's. Probably not as good as the last time he was at UNC. He did make UNC better, but he's not the home run hire they could have made.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He is old and has gray hair , did I win anything ?

tenor.gif