Your honest opionion

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When that situation popped up my friend and I had a disagreement. I wanted to go because I felt we just couldn't afford to send the offense back to the bench at that point. We had possessed the ball so little in the game that we couldn't establish rhythm. Additionally our defense was only going to bend so long. He was in favor of punting because it was still a one score game and plenty of time left. He had the better argument, but I still wanted to go for it. At the time, I felt like the game was hanging in the balance on that single play and I was willing to live with the outcome.

Oddly enough, even though we failed, I think it was the turning point in the contest. In life we experience events that are crystalizing moments which change us forever. In the context of this single game, our defense rising to the occasion on a short field sparked the entire team. Failing on 4th down refocused the offense. Getting the stop gave the defense confidence. The rest of the game was a one sided affair where we played with our hair of fire. At the time, I felt failing on 4th down would result in a loss. In fact, we failed and it had exactly the opposite effect. You just never know.

Going forward however, I agree with coach. This experiment is over with the 2016 team.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I didnt like the call. Especially with a lead. And what i liked worse about it was using a backup BB on top of Mj. Leave MM in. It was too big a tip off.

However pauls river boat gambling is his strength and weakness. And i would much rather have a river boat paul than a by the book chan anyday.

So i will take not liking a call every so often for the bonus of the ballsy calls that do work

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The play I would like to see in that situation is this: Bring in MJ, go with the bunch formation and toss sweep, except it isn't the toss sweep but rather play action, then we hit CL over the top for an easy run out. Teams are so jacked up to get it stopped, it is a near guarantee wide open shot. Just have to make the soft throw and catch.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Re the failure to pick up a critical yard on third or fourth and one, a decades-old story out of Clemson is that after Clemson failed to pick up a yard on a crucial down, during the post-game show coach Frank Howard was asked what the big turning point was in the game (which Clemson lost). Howard said something to the effect of, "Three years ago, when I couldn't recruit any halfbacks." ;)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
To me it was a disaster.
Should have punted ball.--probably--could have given them the momentum/score
But AFTER A TIMEOUT-runs a play (With all that pre-snap crap) that goes nowhere! what planning.--- almost any play was better--they have a THREE front--sneak it,-- run to right Jordan'e strong side, ---go behind Devine, anything.for 1 yd. .

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly liked the decision to go for it and the play call except that I wanted Jordan to this right instead of his left. It seems (just my opinion) that he runs "more downhill" when he goes to his right. I am sure the defensive front dictated that he go left.

I also wasn't that concerned about losing the game. I felt the D was going to hold them to a field goal and we would come back and win. And I am the most pessimistic guy I know.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I was not worried about the outcome of the game until we missed that fourth and one. Agree that the following D stop was a turning point in the game. CPJ said after the game that all 3 blocks at the point of attack were missed. In that crucial situation it is hard to imagine that we lost so much focus, again, at such a crucial time. "Y'all" thinks a little more "want to" is needed.
I can't understand that. As a former offensive lineman, you put a hat on someone every play. Even if it's the wrong man. We miss more assignments than any team I watch.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I definitely don't think we were mentally in it. It's been like that for years and years....win a game we weren't supposed to win and then come back flat as a pancake the next week. Sometimes, like today and against VT in 1990, we win, sometimes we lose. I just don't understand why players can't/don't come out ready to play (and WIN) every game.
You could make the same argument about Virginia Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I wanted to punt on that 4th down. I didn't feel confident we could make it, the gang around me believed otherwise. I also had a bad feeling we'd give up a TD if we failed, and even if not didn't like giving up an easy 3.
But I understand the argument that you don't deserve to win if you can't make a single yard. That might also be a more bitter pill for the D to swallow than the O that failed.