Your honest opionion

I think it's hard for any team to get up for every game. Sometimes you just need some luck or hope the ones you don't get in it your just better and can still beat them.
But we looked like we were sleep-walking in that first quarter. Not "getting up" is one thing, but looking like crap, when you know you are better than that, is different, at least IMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't it finals week this week? At most schools that means trying to remember how many points you get when you make a basketball shot. Our guys are real students taking real classes, the same ones as non-SA's.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I just had to laugh and think maybe this time Johnson will learn to not take his best player out of the game at key moments.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I definitely don't think we were mentally in it. It's been like that for years and years....win a game we weren't supposed to win and then come back flat as a pancake the next week. Sometimes, like today and against VT in 1990, we win, sometimes we lose. I just don't understand why players can't/don't come out ready to play (and WIN) every game.

Maturity. It is a sign of an immature team. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. I think it is part of being a young team. We were a mature team in 2014 and we worked hard to get better and stay focused as the year went along.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We missed all three blocks on the play, and one was a double team.

My thought was that we were not mentally in this game.
Perry much this. With how we were playing all game I was pissed at the call. We hadn't shown anything all game to make you think we could pick that up especially when we were constantly letting #9 blast through unblocked. As far as the actual playcall and people on the field, it was perfectly fine. We just didn't do crap up from which wasn't all that surprising at that point.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He's not the best player on the team in those situations. If Shamire was in, that's a cakewalk to the right.

And if that's true then it's stupid to switch QBs and run the risk of ball handling or communication problems. We've done it a lot this year and the results have been down right mediocre at best.

Against BC it resulted in a botched play.
Against mercer Jordan couldn't pick up a 3rd and 2 and took two tries to get into the endzone from 2 yards out.
Against BC he was one for 2 from 2 yards out.
Against UNC he failed to convert it on 4th and 1.
Against UVA he failed to pick up 4th and 2.

Jordan is a slightly more powerful runner. He isn't Nesbitt, Tebow, or Logan Thomas. And he bringing him in cold on important situations isn't the right move. He's been inconsistent in picking it up, and if he's not converting it consistently then there is really no benefit to doing so because Thomas will pick up those situations at least some of the time. It only makes sense if it is pretty much a sure thing, and it isn't close to being one.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea , it just seems the no matter what year we play UVa they give us fits every year. And I don't want to play them there .
Yes, and Duke has been a thorn in our side for years. Both of them give us fits even when we win. Sometimes we roll them but its pretty rare.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just had to laugh and think maybe this time Johnson will learn to not take his best player out of the game at key moments.

Hopefully CPJ learned that he needs to develop experience more.

I liked the call as people in chat know. It turned out better than we could expect. It should have given UVa a FG at least. But that would only be a 6 point lead.

At some point the coach has to rely on the "team" to be good enough to get 1 stinking yard. If they aren't, they don't deserve to win.

As it is, UVa gave us two missed FGs and two turnovers during the critical part of the second half. Without those, we'd be looking at a very different game and probably not too happy. I'll take it every time though, we have screwed up and lost games we shouldn't have lost. It's football.

I think the team grew up more today after CPJ challenged them.

Last edited:

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Duke has really only been a thorn the past few years, other than back when Spurrier was coaching there. UVA seems ALWAYS to have given us fits, including when Tenuta was DC.
We're only 20-18 vs them all time. The only ACC teams with a better win % against us all time are Miami, FSU, Pitt, and VT. It's pretty weird

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
When we had 4th and 1 from our 29 and did not get it what were you thinking at the moment ? My first thought was oh crap. Just want to know what Y'all thought.

As for the D that stand was the one I thought helped turn the game.
I kind of agreed to go for it, i would have called a QB sneak, only needed about a half a yard.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully CPJ learned that he needs to develop experience more.

I liked the call as people in chat know. It turned out better than we could expect. It should have given UVa a FG at least. But that would only be a 6 point lead.

At some point the coach has to rely on the "team" to be good enough to get 1 stinking yard. If they aren't, they don't deserve to win.

As it is, UVa gave us two missed FGs and two turnovers during the critical part of the second half. Without those, we'd be looking at a very different game and probably not too happy. I'll take it every time though, we have screwed up and lost games we shouldn't have lost. It's football.

I think the team grew up more today after CPJ challenged them.
There is something to be said for the argument that a championship team should get a yard. Clemson believed it a week ago and then last night challenged its ST and defense with a very early onside kick. I'm not gonna whine when the coach believes in his team. If it doesn't work, defense has to step up. It is after all a team game. As for the game itself, refreshed by the defense, decidedly underwhelmed by the offense. I don't know what happened with Thomas if anything, but something did, and three fumbles would get most QBs benched. Frankly I don't know what to make of an offense that has historically lived with possession and the occasional big play now living only to break one long. Just very puzzling.