Your First GT QB

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
72D3BA8D-5395-4656-A7C9-A562B19F992B.jpeg

Can we all agree this is the best Tech QB of the century?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Jimmy Southard, 1949. I actually met his son at a game a few years back. He post on some Tech sites but I can not recall his avatar/site name. I was too young to have an active memory of Jimmy but I am sure I was pulling for him and my Yellow Jackets as soon as took my first breath.

Go Jackets!

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Mike Kelly in 1978. He was a freshman like myself. I wanted Gary Lanier to succeed as I was a classmate of his brother in elementary school. With Kelly passing and Eddie Lee running, we ended up having a pretty good season that year. Unfortunately, that was the last winning football season I would experience as a student.

chicoGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Rudy Allen.

Jasper Thanks is my favorite all time play. Close in the running are Calvin’s catch, Goose is Loose, Nesbit gimme dat, Dwyer’s broke that *****’s ankles followed by Roddy Jones tiptoeing on the sidelines, then there’s the Kick and Pick and the Miracle at Techwood. I picked Jasper Thanks because I believe it was the first most amazing GT football play I ever witnessed. I didn’t select any plays where I was not at the game. Been fortunate to see some great ones.

Edit: Oops I was in error- missed the Kick and Pick game
If these are your favorite plays, check out www.playbookproducts.com

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Hamilton was the first QB I remember in the sense that he was this mythical great player that I knew my dad loved and who I knew helped tech win was was a good thing. However, I was about ~8 when he was playing and didn't pay a lot of attention. It wasn't until Calvin that I really got into football and so Reggie would be the real answer.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
View attachment 9875
Can we all agree this is the best Tech QB of the century?

The Goose and Tevin Washington might have something to say about that. I loved Joshua but I'm afraid Tevin is not given enough credit. If you check pretty closely, Tevin had better stats in every metric but, I believe, in yards/carry he was about 0.1 yards per carry less. He may not be remembered as fondly because he didn't have as many wins. Our defense during Tevin's years was not nearly as strong as in Joshua's day.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
“All the way turnt up” Nesbitt > JT ... but it’s close

that Orange Bowl against Dak, tho

Are we forgetting someone...... Tevin Washington! (He was awesome, but, I mean.... he couldn’t throw ball)

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
The Goose and Tevin Washington might have something to say about that. I loved Joshua but I'm afraid Tevin is not given enough credit. If you check pretty closely, Tevin had better stats in every metric but, I believe, in yards/carry he was about 0.1 yards per carry less. He may not be remembered as fondly because he didn't have as many wins. Our defense during Tevin's years was not nearly as strong as in Joshua's day.
Tevin had heart, but not an arm

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Hamilton was mine.
“All the way turnt up” Nesbitt > JT ... but it’s close

that Orange Bowl against Dak, tho

Are we forgetting someone...... Tevin Washington! (He was awesome, but, I mean.... he couldn’t throw ball)
Atleast tevin knew where to throw the ball. Even if it didn't get there you rarely were like "why did he throw that one" When you looked at it a few days later.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hamilton was mine.

Atleast tevin knew where to throw the ball. Even if it didn't get there you rarely were like "why did he throw that one" When you looked at it a few days later.
Tevin may be the most underrated quarterback in Tech history. He made excellent reads and put up good numbers in spite of not having the stars at running back and receiver that Nesbit had. And then there were all those dropped passes and a defense that had trouble holding a lead.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So, I was a casual fan as a kid and I remember '90. But I wasn't really familiar with the actual players. Joe Ham was the first I really followed and that is when I became a serious fan.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Tevin may be the most underrated quarterback in Tech history. He made excellent reads and put up good numbers in spite of not having the stars at running back and receiver that Nesbit had. And then there were all those dropped passes and a defense that had trouble holding a lead.
Yeah I mean he had stephen hill which couldn't catch for **** but man was he fast. JEff Greene which transfered before he showed anything, and waller kinda which was not showign anywhere near hsi potential. Godhigh I think was his favorite target. 2011 would have been special with a bit better defense and a few bounces and tevin would have had us in the ACC championship that year too.