Your First GT QB

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Eddie McAshan,,,,, As a freshman in1970, he was the man!! Great athlete, & great potential,,,
Does anyone remember Charlie Dudish, recruited about the same time? One of the top recruited QBs in the nation. Was going to be a superstar QB, but could never get it going?
I do remember Dudish. I guess he would equate to a 4 or 5 star today. Sorry it never worked out for him.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Great thread. Joe Ham was the first QB I remember really following and knowing stat lines for.
I enrolled 2003, so my friend Reggie was the first QB I had the pleasure of sharing campus with.

Favorite memory is a toss up between
  • Nesbitt stealing the fumble against FSU. That game was a beast with the lightening delays and all the anticipation. Both offenses felt like they could score at will so retaining possession was hyper critical.
  • Winning at uGA in 2014; to finish with a better record, ranking and stealing an overtime win at their house to break a drought. JeT and Laskey were beasts in that game: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400547779

1612984650514.jpeg

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was Lothridge, but I checked, and it was apparently Kim King.
Yes it was. Then Lloyd Snow , Steve Harkey , John Sias at WR, Buck Shiver at LB..........all in 1968. My 1st year on The Flats. Towers dorm. Room faced I 75, no AC, smelled The Varsity all the time. Great memories......

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Yes it was. Then Lloyd Snow , Steve Harkey , John Sias at WR, Buck Shiver at LB..........all in 1968. My 1st year on The Flats. Towers dorm. Room faced I 75, no AC, smelled The Varsity all the time. Great memories......
Yep, Lloyd was there then, but he rarely played & was always in Lenny's shadow in Carson's eyes..... Poocho was a great guy, but like a lot of legacies, just didn't play up to the same level as his older brother. We had more than one in Poocho's shoes, but won't comment unless someone brings their names up.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Billy Lothridge was QB my freshman year. I had listened to Tech games on the radio in the 50s, thus becoming a Tech fan, but I really don't remember the QBs from that era, although I certainly remember the names, especially Pepper. My favorite game under Lothridge was the '62 defeat of Bama, by far the most intense game I have ever attended.
Stan Gann was the first I have an actual memory. And from your favorite game and mine, Don Toner's interception of Joe Namath's pass to secure that 7-6 victory.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Shawn Jones. I must have thrown thousands of passes in my parent's backyard as a kid pretending to be Jones. Probably one of the most underrated GT athletes even though he won us a National Championship. Still doesn't get the love that most other GT QBs do.

Definitely underrated. Played 91 with plantar fasciatis. Most people can't WALK with that.
His style of play was way ahead of its time.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Great thread. Joe Ham was the first QB I remember really following and knowing stat lines for.
I enrolled 2003, so my friend Reggie was the first QB I had the pleasure of sharing campus with.

Favorite memory is a toss up between
  • Nesbitt stealing the fumble against FSU. That game was a beast with the lightening delays and all the anticipation. Both offenses felt like they could score at will so retaining possession was hyper critical.
  • Winning at uGA in 2014; to finish with a better record, ranking and stealing an overtime win at their house to break a drought. JeT and Laskey were beasts in that game: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400547779

View attachment 9865
I was sitting behind the other goal posts, behind and to the left of this perspective. I was surprised at how nice the dwag fans were after the game. They even took a picture for me and my buddy with the scoreboard behind us.

Excellent game.

Edit: It was an awesome win and shouldn't really have been close because the zebras gave uga a 14 point swing when they ripped the ball out of JT's hands well after his forward progress was stopped. Made the win that much sweeter.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Mine was Nesbitt. I was completely new to college football when I enrolled in 2010 (had watched football before, but didn't really care), so I had no idea I was watching a 3O legend. I didn't really start to get attached to GT football until Washington took over.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
My real answer would be Ball. But I wasn't really into football then. I was maybe 10 or 11.

Fast forward to when I was about 16, Nesbitt was QB. We had just hired this dude who ran this weird offense. My first game where I was INTO football was FSU in 2008. What an ending.

But my favorite play from Nesbitt was vs VT in 2009. His game winning play, the QB lead that we hadn't ran since I believe the 2nd quarter that got a huge chunk. I believe CPJ stuck that play in his back pocket and used it at the perfect time. I watched nesbitt tightrope down the sidelines. Made my mom stay to watch the goal posts come down. what an amazing game and play. Nesbitt was tough as nails.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I remember Dudish well. 60 Minutes had a segment on the number one football recruit (not just QB) in the nation. Had over 200 college offers. His best game was against #1 ranked undefeated USC. Tech led late and could have pulled off the upset of the century but for a blown defensive play.
In that episode did they show Dudish suffering a separated shoulder in a game in Avondale Stadium and then the docs on the sidelines trying to reset it all the while Charlie almost passing out from pain? I was a mere lad when Charlie was in HS but I have that memory burned in my brain.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In that episode did they show Dudish suffering a separated shoulder in a game in Avondale Stadium and then the docs on the sidelines trying to reset it all the while Charlie almost passing out from pain? I was a mere lad when Charlie was in HS but I have that memory burned in my brain.
I don’t remember that being part of it. Mainly game films, him sitting in a folding chair in a gym for a pep rally, interviews with him and his father and talking about Tech winning the sweepstakes for the best high school athlete in the country.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Reggie Ball, 04 vs Clemson. The comeback, the muffed punt, the game winning TD to Calvin and all the celebration and excitement. I was hooked after that game and thought, Wow GT football is awesome, I cant wait to watch them do this every Saturday.