Your First GT QB

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Eastern writer (anti-Southern) bias on the heels of Pete Dawkins winning at USMA about 5 years earlier...... Similar but opposite reaction in by eastern writers in '71 when Pat Sullivan beat out Ed Marinaro of Cornell.... 28 years later Wisconsin's Ron Dayne gets a push by Midwestern & PAC-8/10/11/12 writers over Joe Ham.

Always lots of gnashing of teeth, sometimes with very good reasons, others not so much.
Speaking of Ron Dayne, do you remember his performance against UGA in the bowl game? His rush attempts and yardage was close to equal. He was too slow to get to the edge against UGA. I just looked at the stats. Dayne had 36yds on 14 carries in the 1998 Outback Bowl vs. Georgia.

Last edited:

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If you watched more than 2 minutes of TW and JT play and you somehow came to the conclusion that TW was better, then I've got nothing for you.

My point since my first post here is simply that TW has not gotten the credit he deserves. I have never said Tevin was BETTER than Justin. I have simply pointed out that, STATISTICALLY, Tevin had as good or better metrics than Josh or Justin and that is simply a FACT. And I think most of our posters overlook that.

And if you can't see that, I've got nothing for you partner.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I had started a thread within a thread about everyone’s first Tech game and I noticed a few Billy Lothridge mentions.

For another thread, how about your first GT QB when you started following Tech and what was your favorite memory/play/game?

all I have to say is: The Goose.
its insane that I remember him when I was so young. I grew up with Reggie and I will always have his back. He loves Tech. Of course - Calvin’s NC State catch

what say you?
Danny Meyers

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
My point since my first post here is simply that TW has not gotten the credit he deserves. I have never said Tevin was BETTER than Justin. I have simply pointed out that, STATISTICALLY, Tevin had as good or better metrics than Josh or Justin and that is simply a FACT. And I think most of our posters overlook that.

And if you can't see that, I've got nothing for you partner.
And my point was that statistics can be manipulated to make them say whatever you want them to. Who cares what his stats were relative to JT and JN? Anyone that has seen more than 30 seconds of football could tell you that TW would be the last one picked out of those 3. And this crap about TW not getting the credit he deserves is BS. He was a mediocre QB who happened to be good at knowing when to pitch and when to keep. Yippee! What did he win?

And my point was that statistics can be manipulated to make them say whatever you want them to. Who cares what his stats were relative to JT and JN? Anyone that has seen more than 30 seconds of football could tell you that TW would be the last one picked out of those 3. And this crap about TW not getting the credit he deserves is BS. He was a mediocre QB who happened to be good at knowing when to pitch and when to keep. Yippee! What did he win?
He beat number 6 Clemson in a great game in 2011. Tevin was a good QB.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m beginning to think COVID fatigue and political turmoil has made us all cranky. How can anyone think Justin Thomas is not one of Tech’s best quarterbacks in the modern era? And how can anyone be offended at the observation that Tevin Washington is greatly underrated and performed exceptionally well given an inferior supporting cast and no defensive help? Arguments because someone has taken exception with some misinterpretation of some semantical difference of some nuanced point leaves us taking wild swings at our own shadows.

Jmonty71

Banned
So, I had started a thread within a thread about everyone’s first Tech game and I noticed a few Billy Lothridge mentions.

For another thread, how about your first GT QB when you started following Tech and what was your favorite memory/play/game?

all I have to say is: The Goose.
its insane that I remember him when I was so young. I grew up with Reggie and I will always have his back. He loves Tech. Of course - Calvin’s NC State catch

what say you?
Does playing Shawn Jones in Highschool playoffs count? Ironically enough, my team destroyed Charlie Ward's team, but we got picked apart by Shawn Jones. Been a while. One played for Thomasville, that other Central Thomasville.... Honestly cannot recall which is which. I think Ward was central... I even intercepted Charlie Ward, twice...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

IMO, this is such a bad take for many reasons. You are absolutely right that if we were to look at the games we'd most likely pick JT of JN over TW, and yet those stats, which is exactly why he is so underrated. The simple truth is that, IMO, TW was the third best QB of the CPJ era, but the separation between him and JN isn't as great as some would like to believe. JN was a horrible passer with great arm strength. DT absolutely made JN as a QB. In 2009, DT accounted for 61% of JNs completions. He accounted for 72% of completions in 2008. DTs being able to beat corners and outleap them for contested balls had more to do with passing success than any other factor. As a matter of fact, DT was the ONLY receiver on the team to have double digit receptions in both 2008 and 2009. In contrast, in 2012 one of the more reliable receivers was AB Robert Godhigh, who was maybe 5'7" and was a former walk on. TW knew how to find receivers, and despite his limitations, hit them more often than Nesbitt. What made JN dangerous was his running game. When there was a threat of a deep out to DT, defenses had to stay honest and it opened up lanes for JN to operate in. And yet, with a good bit less athletic talent, and no reliable deep threat equal to DT, TW managed to nearly equal JNs rushing stats as a starter, and still holds the record for rushing TDs by a QB. JT IMO is clearly the best QB at GT since JoeHam, and IMO, is second best since 1990. TW has been much maligned over the years, but you can't ignore the stats. And these particular stats aren't manipulated, they are the standard statistics that have been used to define and judge QB play for decades. If you can't look at the game tape of TW and then look at his stats and come to the conclusion that he HAD to have been a heck of a QB to compile the stats he did with the talent he had, then I would question if you've seen more than 30 seconds of football.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
John Dewberry was the "man who broke the drought" against ugag in '84. The "Microchip Backfield", Mays, Collier, and King. Also "Big Play" Gary Lee, one of my all-time favorites. Dewberry pulled a Joe Namath guarantee that we would beat ugag in athens in '84 and BACKED IT UP! Dewberry wasn't great in any area but was a great leader and a gritty winner. Could have beat uga in '83 but got picked deep in uga territory late in the game by reggie flack. Broke my heart. But to beat them in athens the next year was so special. We ran that cesspool that day and night! It gave us Tech fans hope! It was hard on us Tech fans in the 80's, especially the early 80's. For you younger fans, Tech football was so bad they considered moving down to what is now known as the FCS. Can you imagine that? Homer Rice really saved us. But yeah, QB John Dewberry will always be remebered by me as "The Man Who Broke The Drought."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
John Dewberry was the "man who broke the drought" against ugag in '84. The "Microchip Backfield", Mays, Collier, and King. Also "Big Play" Gary Lee, one of my all-time favorites. Dewberry pulled a Joe Namath guarantee that we would beat ugag in athens in '84 and BACKED IT UP! Dewberry wasn't great in any area but was a great leader and a gritty winner. Could have beat uga in '83 but got picked deep in uga territory late in the game by reggie flack. Broke my heart. But to beat them in athens the next year was so special. We ran that cesspool that day and night! It gave us Tech fans hope! It was hard on us Tech fans in the 80's, especially the early 80's. For you younger fans, Tech football was so bad they considered moving down to what is now known as the FCS. Can you imagine that? Homer Rice really saved us. But yeah, QB John Dewberry will always be remebered by me as "The Man Who Broke The Drought."
My memory is that 83-86 could very easily have been 4 straight Tech wins instead of 2 straight wins. But uga had everything break right for them to steal wins in 83 and 86.

And Gary Lee...what a memory as he emerged out of the fog like some field of dreams as he took it to the house against uga.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
My first QB was Josh Nesbitt. He was a great member of GT history and prolly my favorite memory involving him would be when he took back a fumbled ball straight out of the arms of a fsu player

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
For me, it has to be Nesbitt stealing the ball back from fsu after roddy fumbled. A close second was him tight roping the sideline for a TD against VT in 09 during that homecoming when VT was ranked number 4.

That catch by Calvin, my goodness.
As I recall Nesbitt fumbled and took it back.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Wade Mitchell 1956. Split time at QB with Toppy Vann who later played professional football in the CFL. Tech lost only one game in 1956; it was to Tennessee which finished the season undefeated. Wade also played defense and was outstanding there as well as at QB. He was also an outstanding student and a great person.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Billy Lotheridge. 1962, 7-6 over #1 Alabama with Joe Namath at quarterback. My dad took me as a kid, and we sat in the south end zone. When Bama scored at the other end to make it 7-6, they went for 2. From where we were sitting, we couldn’t tell if they made it over the goal line or not, but when we saw Tech’s Rats jump up cheering and screaming, we knew they didn’t.