Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I have enjoyed watching Key coach. He’s been a breath of fresh air. Finally, in the last two games the OL looked like a gelled unit.
I’m not sure if he’s the right choice, but I think that he’d fix special teams during the off season. I think we’d go bowling.

I also think that Chadwell would get us there. Chadwell has a problem on defense, while Key has a gap on offense and punting right now.

With O’Brien, I’m not sure what to expect
i agree with all this.

i think punting gets fixed with a full off season. even with shanahan as the punter. He/punting unit wasnt this bad last year. Offense, hopefully its a big leap with the same OC if long is retained

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I am not the least bit interested in a mediocre HC that sticks around because no other higher tier program wants him. I'd rather we cycle through 3 coaches and have the most successful decade at GT since the early 1900s.
Nor is anyone else.

Our goal, IMO, should be to find talented coaches who are on their way up to the SEC or the B1G and to enjoy their successes for 4-7 years before they move up.

If we occasionally find a coach like Frank Beamer (VT '87-'15) whose success and loyalty results in staying with us for longer than that, then that's gravy.

Key could be the Beamer-type guy, but Chadwell seems more like the quick turn-around, short-cycle coach that we need TODAY.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
So, just thinking here, I'm really leaning towards Key. I just love his 'love' for GT and how much it means to him to win. I know that may not translate to success but I do really appreciate it. I feel like he's been on an on-the-job interview for the past however many weeks and has done a very admirable job with at least one hand tied behind his back, so to speak. I could be all for him at the helm but we need something different at O.C. That being said, I reckon Chadwell could be a viable option as well. So I'm reaching to find something to differentiate between the two options (setting BO'B side for the time being). Would there be a 'transformation' period to switch 'back' to Chadwell's offensive scheme, blocking, personnel etc?

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
So, just thinking here, I'm really leaning towards Key. I just love his 'love' for GT and how much it means to him to win. I know that may not translate to success but I do really appreciate it. I feel like he's been on an on-the-job interview for the past however many weeks and has done a very admirable job with at least one hand tied behind his back, so to speak. I could be all for him at the helm but we need something different at O.C. That being said, I reckon Chadwell could be a viable option as well. So I'm reaching to find something to differentiate between the two options (setting BO'B side for the time being). Would there be a 'transformation' period to switch 'back' to Chadwell's offensive scheme, blocking, personnel etc?
no, most of their personnel are the same as anyone elses and they run a good amount of zone blocking. like everyone else.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
Also, with regard to Key's questionable performance as O-line coach, we were ready to run Thacker out on a rail just a few months ago and now most would love for him to stay. Something was different then versus now (I don't know exactly what). Couldn't there have been something restricting Key's success before as well?

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t Key negatively recruit GT while at UCF? I know it’s part of recruiting in general, but still all this Key loves GT seems overblown to me.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was a huge fan of the option while CPJ was here. I am a huge fan of what Chadwell has done at CCU, and I think his offense could thrive here. If they announce Chadwell in the next few days, I will be a very happy GT fan.

I will be even happier, however, if they announce Key and give him the money to spend on an OC upgrade and better assistants across the board. I never thought I'd see the day when Key would be my number one choice (Even during the season I was always kind of hoping for Chadwell) but here we are.

If JBatt surprises me with anyone else, I will support them fully, as I trust him to make the best decision for GT.

Go Jackets!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Key negatively recruit GT while at UCF? I know it’s part of recruiting in general, but still all this Key loves GT seems overblown to me.
He did, but that's part of doing your job as a recruiter these days.
The "Key loves GT" thing is probably overblown, and it should count neither for nor against him. A coach's job is to serve the school writing his ample paychecks. I think Key has proven himself to be a solid coach and that's all we need to expect from him.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
I was a huge fan of the option while CPJ was here. I am a huge fan of what Chadwell has done at CCU, and I think his offense could thrive here. If they announce Chadwell in the next few days, I will be a very happy GT fan.

I will be even happier, however, if they announce Key and give him the money to spend on an OC upgrade and better assistants across the board. I never thought I'd see the day when Key would be my number one choice (Even during the season I was always kind of hoping for Chadwell) but here we are.

If JBatt surprises me with anyone else, I will support them fully, as I trust him to make the best decision for GT.

Go Jackets!
This is about exacty where I'm at right now.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Getting caught doing exactly what every major program has been doing for decades? And which the whole premise is now legal?
Well now can pay them after they sign but not during their recruiting visit. Maybe promise what they can make once they get there.