Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m really not sure what to do with myself now that the game is over and there’s no coach announcement still, whoops

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
At the beginning of the season, I said CGC needed to win at least 5 games and have the team looking competent against some of its better opponents in order to keep his job. Key got us to 5 wins, and while we looked overmatched in the second half vs uga, we did look like a competent football team. It's hard to believe we looked so bad early in the season and yet went into the half vs the #1 team in the nation with a fighting chance to win the game. Like I said, I'll be ecstatic if we hire Chadwell, but man has Key earned this job.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I'm still on the Key train.
I think most of us were disappointed with Uva and Miami, surprised and thrilled at UNC and a little surprised that we looked so sharp in the 1st qtr against the dwags.
Key has been dealt a huge handicap from what he can and can't change, and two major QB injuries.
Sure his isn't as proven as Chadwell but he's done enough in my books to earn the HC position and would love to see what he could do with out the handicaps at hand .
If we go with key I feel like we aren't at an immediate rebuild which is good , we don't need another 2-3 years of rebuilding

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
At the beginning of the season, I said CGC needed to win at least 5 games and have the team looking competent against some of its better opponents in order to keep his job. Key got us to 5 wins, and while we looked overmatched in the second half vs uga, we did look like a competent football team. It's hard to believe we looked so bad early in the season and yet went into the half vs the #1 team in the nation with a fighting chance to win the game. Like I said, I'll be ecstatic if we hire Chadwell, but man has Key earned this job.
More people need this attitude. Too many people with preconceived notions of what should happen and in corners with “their guy”.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
If we go with key I feel like we aren't at an immediate rebuild which is good , we don't need another 2-3 years of rebuilding
This.

I'll be happy with Chadwell or BOB. I can't comment on the others as there are simply too many to consider. But another thing I like about Key is it feels like we are already a year into the 'rebuild.' Given how terrible our record has been the past 36 games, I might even call this the 'greatest transition in the history of college football." LOL.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to believe we looked so bad early in the season and yet went into the half vs the #1 team in the nation with a fighting chance to win the game.

How is it that different than what we did against #4 clemson to start the year. We were down 11 at the half but scored to bring it within 4 on our first possession of the second half.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I dropped this into the head coach list thread too... Interested in the feedback from Chadwell supporters. (Note, I will support any head coach that we bring)

With the Coastal Carolina #1QB being out of the game today, and them being toasted by JMU, does that mean the offense is really predicated on the quarterback?

Screenshot_20221126-203641.png

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
For me. Nothing really changed today. There was little chance that we wouldn’t get blown out so the end result wasn’t surprising. Overall under Key we had some good wins, some awful losses, and some in the middle. We didn’t make a bowl game, and we got blown out three times, once against an awful opponent. It was a mixed bag. Overall I am not willing to disregard the bad losses or his history as a coach or his significant role in how awful we have been in the past four years. The bad far outweighs the good. We need new blood here if we are serious about being a better program going forward. Key isn’t the answer.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I dropped this into the head coach list thread too... Interested in the feedback from Chadwell supporters. (Note, I will support any head coach that we bring)

With the Coastal Carolina #1QB being out of the game today, and them being toasted by JMU, does that mean the offense is really predicated on the quarterback?

View attachment 13625

He was missing more than his QB, pretty sure their O-line was also pretty devastated. They had 3 drives basically result in turnovers. At the same time there was a reason JMU was favored by 15.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Auburn has the 22nd most efficient defense in college football and Bama is carving them up. But, yeah, BOB sucks as an OC.
I want the HC being a HC, not calling plays. I love CPJ, but he neglected a major part of our football team to focus on his offense, which is why he wasn't the most successful coach to ever coach here. Bill O'Brien is no Paul Johnson.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How is it that different than what we did against #4 clemson to start the year. We were down 11 at the half but scored to bring it within 4 on our first possession of the second half.

I, for one, didn't hold the Clemson loss against CGC. I will say that both games had similar storylines, but I never for once felt any hope in the Clemson game. There were moments during the first half where what if actually crossed my lips.

Edit to add we played a similar game against uga with our 3rd and 4th string QBs. Pretty darn impressive.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
He was missing more than his QB, pretty sure their O-line was also pretty devastated. They had 3 drives basically result in turnovers. At the same time there was a reason JMU was favored by 15.
Yep, a very thin team with little depth, but had to play a solid JMU team today. With that said, he did get beat. His overall body of work either stands scrutiny or it does not.

For me, it does.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yep, a very thin team with little depth, but had to play a solid JMU team today. With that said, he did get beat. His overall body of work either stands scrutiny or it does not.

For me, it does.

I agree. I mean At this point If we keep Key we need a new OC hopefully one running a hard nose scheme that fits keys personality. We need a new OL coach as key will be head coach. Thacker might be able to stay this defensive staff has doen great not hamstrung by collins, however our Linebackers definitely as good as they have been have run fit busts way to often.

Who we get?

Well that is what the search firm should be tasked with if we retain key.

Being realistic it will need to be a g5 coordinator with good success. We are not a lateral move right now for most of the p5.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
- CGC had the whole off-season to 'prepare' for that game.
- Clemson will wind up being a top 10-15 team versus uGA which is the undisputed (for the most part) #1.
- CBK was playing the #3 & #4 QBs.
- The end result (score-wise) looked better against uGA vs Clemson.

Just my $.02

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I, for one, didn't hold the Clemson loss against CGC. I will say that both games had similar storylines, but I never for once felt any hope in the Clemson game. There were moments during the first half where what if actually crossed my lips.

Edit to add we played a similar game against uga with our 3rd and 4th string QBs. Pretty darn impressive.

Not feeling hope against Clemson is more on you than the game itself. We had very little chance of winning either game at any point due to our offenses inability to score points. But against Clemson we came out at the half, held them to three and out, then scored a TD to pull it to within 4. Held them to a FG to give us a drive with a chance to tie. Against UGA we came out of the half, gave up a FG, went 3 out, screwed up the punt giving them a short field for a TD, then fumbled the next play to give them a short field for a FG. Personally I didn't have much hope of winning either game, but I don't really see how you actually thought we'd beat UGA if you thought we had no chance against Clemson when we were just in a pretty clearly better position midway through the third.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Not feeling hope against Clemson is more on you than the game itself. We had very little chance of winning either game at any point due to our offenses inability to score points. But against Clemson we came out at the half, held them to three and out, then scored a TD to pull it to within 4. Held them to a FG to give us a drive with a chance to tie. Against UGA we came out of the half, gave up a FG, went 3 out, screwed up the punt giving them a short field for a TD, then fumbled the next play to give them a short field for a FG. Personally I didn't have much hope of winning either game, but I don't really see how you actually thought we'd beat UGA if you thought we had no chance against Clemson when we were just in a pretty clearly better position midway through the third.
The Clemson you are remembering is not the Clemson of 2022.