Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I actually thought Long called his best game. We were prepared and didn't give up a sack (unless Gibson's scrambling for a 1-yard loss is considered a sack). I'm neutral on many of the coaching calls. I just want to see us win, regardless of who's coaching. I like what Key has done; I like the potential upside of Chadwell's program; I like Bill O'Brien as a head coach (not necessarily as an OC).
A lot that should be agreed with except for those who only look at the result, not the dropped passes or missed blocks.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Based on everything I would go with Key. Do a sensible contract with performance incentives. I like Chadwell but feel it could be too risky at this juncture. We have to get this hire right. Key can build from here and the players like him. BOB being hired would remind me of when we hired Gailey instead of McWhorter, which I felt was a big mistake when we did so.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Based on everything I would go with Key. Do a sensible contract with performance incentives. I like Chadwell but feel it could be too risky at this juncture. We have to get this hire right. Key can build from here and the players like him. BOB being hired would remind me of when we hired Gailey instead of McWhorter, which I felt was a big mistake when we did so.
BOB is a far more developed Offensive mind that Chan. He's a lot more versatile and could be expected to build an offense around his talent.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Be wary of what you read on here with regards to Coach X wants this, Coach Y wants that, etc. There are people who like to "leak" things to change the narrative on candidates to make another candidate look better.

Fact of the matter is, no one but Batt and the candidate knows if Coach X wants to keep play calling duties, or if Coach Y wants to bring his entire staff, or Coach Z will wear a sports jacket and fedora on game days.

Remember when the Chadwell rumors of bringing his entire staff started, and "sources" said GT was concerned? Problem was, GT hadn't hired an AD yet...last I checked, it's the AD's and Cabrera's decision to hire a coach, so not sure how "concerned" GT could have been. When some people say "tech is concerned", what they really mean is the old boys club doesn't think that's a good idea.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m optimistic that we will hire a good coach.

My only two concerns Re Chadwell are …
  1. He’s interviewed at several P5 programs and not been chosen. Why? That’s a red flag.
  2. Everyone seems to like his offense. Ok. But if it’s not an offense that produces NFL prospects, we are right back into the recruiting challenge. Is that what we want?
Regardless, I’m looking forward to 2023. It feels like we are on a better path.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

1. He’s interviewed at several P5 programs and not been chosen. Why? That’s a red flag.
  2. Everyone seems to like his offense. Ok. But if it’s not an offense that produces NFL prospects, we are right back into the recruiting challenge. Is that what we want?
V-

My take on the Chadwell interviews is this: he's the hot, young coach with what appears to be great potential. But he's not the guaranteed success that the other P5's need or expect. Is he a fit for Auburn? No way.

Tech is in a completely different position. We're not going to get Kiffin or anyone like him. Like Tech would ever get Calipari or Tubby Smith to coach BB, right?

We pretty much HAVE to take a second-tier coach, and of that group, I think Chadwell is 1a with Key 1b and BOB 1c. Everyone else is 2 or lower.

And if I'm wrong on this, I hope I am REALLY wrong. Like bowl-bound, ACC Champions wrong.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Where else do we know Chadwell has interviewed? I'm sure just like with us his name has been tied to other HC searches and there may have been some smoke, but do we know for a fact he has interviewed elsewhere? If so, I would be curious if Batt talked to those ADs and asked what made them not go after Chadwell.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Where else do we know Chadwell has interviewed? I'm sure just like with us his name has been tied to other HC searches and there may have been some smoke, but do we know for a fact he has interviewed elsewhere? If so, I would be curious if Batt talked to those ADs and asked what made them not go after Chadwell.

3 biggest schools tied to Chadwell are Nebraska, Auburn, and GT.

Nebraska just hired Rhule.
Auburn is rumored to have agreed to terms with Freeze.
GT is ???

Others schools that are starting to be mentioned with Chadwell lately is WVU (if their HFC is fired), Miss State (if Leach retires due to health reasons), and South Florida.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was said we're looking to take our next coach from the coordinator ranks, if that's the case seems to me the discussion is all on the wrong people, maybe Key fits in that category, he was our run game OC I think.
Personally I'm fine giving it to Key, but then I don't know who the others are and what they have told us in their interviews. I've always been much more concerned about the money since we're broke.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I am holding steady with Deion because he provides the most upside of any candidate. It's true, he also has a bigger bust potential, but the upside is NC with him. I don't feel that upside with any other candidate. It's possible IF an offensive guru actually finds and hires a very good DC (something that eluded CPJ) or if a defensive-minded HC finds a good OC.

At the end of the search, when the new coach is announced, I'll get behind them and GT football. I just hope we avoid the very uninspired choice...the safe choice. Just say no.

Sounding like I may have to judge our hire against Colorado's in a couple of years. I still think if there is a way to get Deion, we need to get him. That's only my opinion though. I could see Colorado going from 1-10 to 10-1 in two seasons with Deion.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I think everybody would agree that any coach in consideration would be an upgrade from the last three years.

However, I believe what we saw today showed how special Key is. He took 3 star athletes, 3rd and 4th string qb’s, didn’t use the triple option, and made this thing damn close. I know the score doesn’t show it, but we were one punt and catch drop from a close fourth quarter. Hot take, I know.

As an Auburn fan, I need to say that is more impressive than an iron bowl upset tonight (Also highly unlikely). Sec coaches get to put glorified athletes against eachother.

Brent Key took the little guys and made them look viable… To be cheesy but mildly accurate imo- CPJ did this with a frustrating offense, but Key did this with heart. I feel like I’m not the only person that has seen an exponential increase in effort on both sides of the ball since the fire of CGC.
Give that guy a couple years of recruiting?…

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I think any of the candidates can get us back to 7-8 win seasons. But who has the highest ceiling? Glad I’m not the one hiring.

I still say Deion and we'll regret not offering/hiring him, at least that is if he's even interested. I'd think he is given it's Atlanta, but hey, maybe he said not interested already.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that Chadwell interviewed at VT, Tennessee and South Carolina, whereas Auburn and TCU expressed interest.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Sounding like I may have to judge our hire against Colorado's in a couple of years. I still think if there is a way to get Deion, we need to get him. That's only my opinion though. I could see Colorado going from 1-10 to 10-1 in two seasons with Deion.
And he'll probably be gone before the NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations take effect, right?