Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Well my fellow Jackets, we find ourselves at the end of our season. And what a tumultuous season it's been. Highs, lows, big wins, questionable losses, and a lot of clear whiskeys drank. So now we face the biggest offseason question. Who gets the nod for next year? I think that the UGA game actually made it less clear tbh especially with CC getting blown out even worse. But I'd love to hear some final discussion and separate this from the "potential" thread. We know who the likely candidates are. So, who do YOU want/who do you think will get it?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Key as HC, Thacker as DC. Spend some real money on an OC. Do whatever you can do get Choice back on staff. Etc
I actually thought Long called his best game. We were prepared and didn't give up a sack (unless Gibson's scrambling for a 1-yard loss is considered a sack). I'm neutral on many of the coaching calls. I just want to see us win, regardless of who's coaching. I like what Key has done; I like the potential upside of Chadwell's program; I like Bill O'Brien as a head coach (not necessarily as an OC).

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Well my fellow Jackets, we find ourselves at the end of our season. And what a tumultuous season it's been. Highs, lows, big wins, questionable losses, and a lot of clear whiskeys drank. So now we face the biggest offseason question. Who gets the nod for next year? I think that the UGA game actually made it less clear tbh especially with CC getting blown out even worse. But I'd love to hear some final discussion and separate this from the "potential" thread. We know who the likely candidates are. So, who do YOU want/who do you think will get it?
I merged it with the "main" poll.

Folks can change their votes with this poll so I don't see any benefit of a new "final" poll.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually thought Long called his best game. We were prepared and didn't give up a sack (unless Gibson's scrambling for a 1-yard loss is considered a sack). I'm neutral on many of the coaching calls. I just want to see us win, regardless of who's coaching. I like what Key has done; I like the potential upside of Chadwell's program; I like Bill O'Brien as a head coach (not necessarily as an OC).

Didn’t we read somewhere that BOB was going to call plays even as HC and that was a deal-breaker?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Since coaching for us he was QBs coach and OC under Belichick working with Brady, he then took over at Penn State and won the conference and national coach of the year awards, then went to the NFL and made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years, and then took the role of OC at one of the premier programs in the country. Im sure people are considering those things as well.
I'm sticking with my vote for Key, but I could go for BOB. There's a lot to like.

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Long did fine today. But he still needs to be shown the door. He is not in anyway an innovative coach which is what we need with 3 and 4 stars.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t we read somewhere that BOB was going to call plays even as HC and that was a deal-breaker?

Yes and it was reported at the same time that he was no longer in consideration which seems to now obviously be not the case.

Of course there was also the story that Chadwell wanted to bring his entire staff from coastal with him.

Funny as soon as someone other than Key gets traction a we get a leak like that painting them in a bad light from an otherwise tight lipped coaching search.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Unpacking a lot of stuff here…My vote is still “other” - as in, “I’m putting my faith in J Batt, and being glad he has the decision and not me.” Especially since Batt’s hiring came out of left field - I definitely wouldn’t be surprised to be surprised on whom we hire.

(Will be hilarious when we find out it’s Luke Fickell.)

Seriously, though, my wife (a Cornhusker) found out her new coach today - and even though it looks like a home run to a lot of people, I find myself thinking, “You never know.” So I’ll probably take that skepticism into the next few days of the GT HC search.

That being said, of those who’ve been in focus - I would be happy with Chadwell. I would be content with Bill O’Brien. I still have little interest in Deion. My foremost requirement is a coach who can COACH - not just someone who can focus on “building a culture.”

Which brings me to…Brent Key. I’m sad with the result today. I’m frustrated that we made some mistakes we couldn’t afford to make. But given what he had to work with this season, and given the turnaround - not only in results, but in attitude, in commitment, and in playing with heart - I think he’s done a phenomenal job this year, and still think he could do an excellent job with an off-season and some resources. I want a good football coach - and this guy is a good football coach (alongside Chadwell, BoB, and a number of other candidates we’ve heard spoken of).

So now, I put my faith in Batt’s decision. Glad I don’t have to make it. I think we have a lot of interesting possibilities in front of us - and some I’m sure none of us have considered. I’m excited to hear who we wind up with, and look forward to cheering them on. Go Jackets!

(Edited for grammar.)

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So now, I put my faith in Batt’s decision. Glad I don’t have to make it. I think we have a lot of interesting possibilities in front of us - and some I’m sure none of us have considered. I’m excited to hear who we wind up with, and look forward to cheering them on. Go Jackets!

(Edited for grammar.)
Nice take! I agree. It's time now to get behind the new guy and get back to hard-nosed, serious football.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Funny as soon as someone other than Key gets traction a we get a leak like that painting them in a bad light from an otherwise tight lipped coaching search.
Not sure anythings that's been said was leaked, as far as I can tell it's all been sourceless rumors.