Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Still time to change your votes, boys and girls! I'm thinking this might be the final hours of voting before the polls close.

You just have to decide if it's better to choose the one who will get picked so that you can be 'right' about the selection, or better to choose someone else so that you can say "I TOLD YOU SO!" when they inevitably don't win a game?

Hmmm..choices, choices... ;)

Go Jackets!

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem with your thinking of BOB at PSU is they had an exodus of talent. They were playing walk ons and freshmen. BOB was literally playing with a walk on QB...and he turned him into an All B1G QB, and an NFL pick. BOB was not dealing with PSU's usual deck of cards. What could he have done with a full deck of cards?

BOB may have NFL aspirations (he may not), but his demeanor and management style is perfect for college football. BTW, anyone scared that BOB will go running off for the NFL after a few seasons needs to think logically. If BOB runs off to the NFL, that means he will have done well here. Are you really going to be mad if BOB has several 9-11 win seasons at GT and runs off to coach the Falcons (or whatever NFL team)? GT will be in a MUCH better place and it will be a MUCH better position to attract the next coach.

I certainly think BOB can do more with less; his PSU run is a perfect example. But, you gotta remember that he went 8-4 (6-2) and 7-5 (4-4) in only two years before “bolting” for the NFL. Given the situation, that’s an absolute miracle. What if he goes 6-6, 7-5 then leaves? Is that enough time to have built a foundation for the next guy? My opinion is if BOB is successful here he’s only sticking around for 2 or 3 years.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I certainly think BOB can do more with less; his PSU run is a perfect example. But, you gotta remember that he went 8-4 (6-2) and 7-5 (4-4) in only two years before “bolting” for the NFL. Given the situation, that’s an absolute miracle. What if he goes 6-6, 7-5 then leaves? Is that enough time to have built a foundation for the next guy? My opinion is if BOB is successful here he’s only sticking around for 2 or 3 years.
BoB is stabilize and safe. I believe he will run the program like a NFL offense. Play not to lose. He was perfect for Penn in its weakened state. Even then, BoB dealt with the front side of the sanctions and not the back side. Starting a 65 scholorship reduction is better than dealing with 4 years at 65 recruits... that is the tough part.

James Franklin pushed Penn through the back side of 65 scholarships with several 11 win seasons.

Penn is not like GT, even a Penn with sanctions. I agree BoBs record is way better than Collins Temple declining 2 year record. But the two year Penn record is not all that and a bag a chips on fire exciting.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
BoB is stabilize and safe. I believe he will run the program like a NFL offense. Play not to lose. He was perfect for Penn in its weakened state. Even then, BoB dealt with the front side of the sanctions and not the back side. Starting a 65 scholorship reduction is better than dealing with 4 years at 65 recruits... that is the tough part.

James Franklin pushed Penn through the back side of 65 scholarships with several 11 win seasons.

Penn is not like GT, even a Penn with sanctions. I agree BoBs record is way better than Collins Temple declining 2 year record. But the two year Penn record is not all that and a bag a chips on fire exciting.
Other than the niggling fact that it was Penn State and not Penn (who plays in the Ivy League) you are 100% spot on. (Couldn't help myself, sorry...)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Some problem with the question set is the first 1-3 are almost inevitabilities by replacing xcgc, 4 might be directly tied to team success and 5 can be attributed partly to the Institute, see our latest 4*QB commit.
I agree the answer to all is yes and also agree Key may not be the man. I think he has acquitted himself well and serves as a fine candidate for the role. I think we go another direction, unless he slays the #1 Saturday, then emotions may become a decision making variable.
IF IF IF Key beats uga then Key has to be SERIOUSLY considered if not a slam dunk.To take this bumbly inept unfocused team and turn them into winners is an amazing feat to me..

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It’s rumored that Saban thinks he’s too conservative in play calling, and wants him gone. Bama fans also want him gone. I suspect that’s really Saban’s opinion, and that BOB and Bama’s DC will be elsewhere next year. But, since I’m not someone who spends their life digging into Bama football, take that with a grain of salt.

I’m more interested in Saban’s opinion than the fan’s opinion. Saban is shrewd.

BOB gets credit for the work he did at Penn State. He went into a rough situation and performed above expectations. I don’t know that his experience there translates here. Penn State, even in down years, has lots of talent and tends towards conservative play calling. BOB has been a conservative play caller—we complained about it at Tech after Fridge left. I think it’s his nature.

If you’re a fan that hates it when you know what play call is coming, then with BOB you’ll hate it, because you’ll know every play that’s coming. Bama could be really efficient that way because they didn’t make mistakes, and it didn’t matter if you knew the play—they were getting six yards anyway.

BOB is going to make very few mistakes, and is going to be methodical, and would build a consistent winning program. It’ll be kind of boring, though.
Actually this yr, Ala is one of the most penalized teams in US and the Offense shares in that.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly, the lack of knowledge of some people. Angry people saying, “it’s a stepping stone”. Who cares. People are so dumb sometimes.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Ya know how some teams play more than one QB? Switching it up based on down & distance? Or making it difficult for teams to prepare cause they aren't sure who they're gonna see during the game?

What if we had more than one coach? Switching up game plans...Chadwell one series...Key the next. BOB in the second half. 🙃

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
How did our leading HC candidates fare on Rivalry Saturday?

Jamey Chadwell 7
James Madison 47

Brent Key 14
Georgia 37

Auburn 3:30 ET
Bob O'Brien TBD

Anyone changing their vote?