Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Found this gem while watching some offensive football videos. Jamey Chadwell vs Lance Leipold. Leipold was one of the hottest names in college football this season, though it's died down some recently. Chadwell obliterated Leipold's defense (though Kansas's 2021 defense was absolutely putrid).

Seriously...how fun is that offense to watch. Don't watch the offense, watch the defenders. Look how many defenders are stuck in no man's land, or how many defenders get turned the wrong way. Unlike CPJ's offense, you notice how the defense cant crowd the LOS? There's no 6-7 defenders crowding running gaps just daring you to beat them with your arm. As good as Grayson McCall is, he's still missing reads and throwing bad passes in that video. Chadwell's offense can actually perform at a higher level.

Personally, I would LOVE to see GT use this offense against the likes of UGA and Clemson.

A lot of these plays would be blown up by uga/Clem Ds. Assuming (dangerous) we could sign a much improved P-5 level OL and skill players than what Coastal shows here (sans OB), this could work. If not, the better 4 or 5 Ds we face each year will blunt a lot of the excitement this offers. Bruising fast backs and wrs that can get separation on good dbs will be required. In other words, a LOT of 4* recruits instead of middle 3*. Of course we are gonna need this no matter what system we run.

Last edited:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
A lot of these plays would be blown up by uga/Clem Ds. Assuming (dangerous) we could sign a much improved P-5 level OL and skill players than what Coastal shows here (sans OB), this could work. If not, the better 4 or 5 Ds we face each year will blunt a lot of the excitement this offers. Bruising fast backs and wrs that can get separation on good dbs will be required. In other words, a LOT of 4* recruits instead of middle 3*. Of course we are gonna need this no matter what system we run.
So, our 3*s are going to get beaten by their 4*s and 5*s. Unless we can get some 4*s or our 3*s are doing something that is not familiar to the other side and gives us the advantage of being better prepared to run our scheme than they are to defend against it.

I think this is where I came in...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We still have people voting for Key. That says a lot about our fan base. I pity who comes next. They are doomed to fail or be run out by stupid fans.

I won't call them stupid, per se. Maybe just rooting for continuity?

I haven't voted yet. Still waiting for someone to wow me with their presentation (for a particular candidate).

So far, it's been a bunch-a lame a** PowerPoints and spreadsheets.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

I haven't voted yet. Still waiting for someone to wow me with their presentation (for a particular candidate).

I was not calling fans stupid specifically for voting for Key. I was talking about the inevitable time when they decide to run whomever gets hired out of town.

I will add that I still remember when fans wanted to name Mac McWhorter head coach based on the 2001 Seattle Bowl victory and then railed against Gailey for years because their guy was not hired. If there are fans who still want Key to be head coach, I guarantee you that they will do everything in their power to tear down the new coach in order to prove that they were right that Key should have been hired instead. Of course, that is true for whomever gets hired since no one wants to admit that anyone but their choice could do the job well.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was not calling fans stupid specifically for voting for Key. I was talking about the inevitable time when they decide to run whomever gets hired out of town.

I will add that I still remember when fans wanted to name Mac McWhorter head coach based on the 2001 Seattle Bowl victory and then railed against Gailey for years because their guy was not hired. If there are fans who still want Key to be head coach, I guarantee you that they will do everything in their power to tear down the new coach in order to prove that they were right that Key should have been hired instead. Of course, that is true for whomever gets hired since no one wants to admit that anyone but their choice could do the job well.

Yeah but, just between me and you, they're all stupid right? Don't worry, nobody's listening.

(Kidding. I tend to concur with what you're getting at here. Coaches are hired to be fired so there's a good chance those wanting other guys hired will have a 'reason' to crow at some point.)

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
So, our 3*s are going to get beaten by their 4*s and 5*s. Unless we can get some 4*s or our 3*s are doing something that is not familiar to the other side and gives us the advantage of being better prepared to run our scheme than they are to defend against it.

I think this is where I came in...
You were doing great until the "or". In the Coastal film clip, the backs were not running against future NFLers and the receivers were not running patterns against future NFLers. Look at our backs, OL, and receivers in '08, '14, and even '16....ok?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

Our next coach is coming into focus....

education infographic GIF

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

But the video of Chadwell’s offense is damn interesting. Speed guys can really show off their skills in that scheme; it’s a recruiting plus.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
But the video of Chadwell’s offense is damn interesting. Speed guys can really show off their skills in that scheme; it’s a recruiting plus.

Yeah but that's what we used to say about the a-back position.

"Oh man, being 1v1 all the time? Speed guys can really show off their skills in that scheme; it's a recruiting plus."

Never really came to fruition. I'm no longer a believer in 'if you build it (scheme) they (recruits) will come'.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Well, ain't you special. Just sitting there waiting to be entertained. Flumped on your throne, throwing the court jesters in the dungeon right and left until one makes you crack a smile.

I got no power points nor spreadsheets, whatever they are, but I know what I see. And what I see is that Coastal offense putting the football where the defense ain't. It's that simple.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

"Oh man, being 1v1 all the time? Speed guys can really show off their skills in that scheme; it's a recruiting plus."

Never really came to fruition. I'm no longer a believer in 'if you build it (scheme) they (recruits) will come'.
The CC offense looks more versatile than the hardcore Flexbone. I see it as what GT’s offense could have evolved into. No disrespect meant to CPJ here, BTW.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well, ain't you special. Just sitting there waiting to be entertained. Flumped on your throne, throwing the court jesters in the dungeon right and left until one makes you crack a smile.

Maribeth Monroe Reaction GIF by CBS

I hear yall on the Coastal guy. What I'm saying though is 'scheme' doesn't impress me. Make a case for him without telling me his scheme is so fancy-smancy. Whats the defense doing? Is what he does scalable to the ACC and beyond?

There, jesters, you have your orders. Now make me laugh.

The CC offense looks more versatile than the hardcore Flexbone. I see it as what GT’s offense could have evolved into. No disrespect meant to CPJ here, BTW.
I hear you. Didn't mean to suggest it's about CPJ, was just using that as an example i guess.

Just, as I said to bobo, not impressed with the 'scheme' talk.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Imo that was more how we used the a backs. Had we focused more on one a back rather than rotating 4 or 5 usually it's have been an easier to sell. If you answer the question of who are most productive a back was you'll find that most didn't really put up numbers that would be attractive to recruits. Some names

Roddy Jones - as a freshman he had 690 yards rushing and 155 yards receiving which would be phenomenal to build on normally. But those were career highs and his next highest was about 450 and 150
Anthony Allen - 618 and 112 rushing and receiving his year as an A back
Orwin Smith - Probably the best sellling point overall, but even he never had a year of over 1000 yards from scrimmage.
Embry Peeples - 480 and 250 were about his highs rushing and receiving respectively. In different years.
Robert Godhigh - probably best individual season as an A back going for nearly 750 and 470 as a senior
Charles Perkins - max of 440 yards rushing.
Clinton Lynch - had maxes of 450 and 490 respectively but not in the same year.

If we were basically always having someone who produced like Godhigh's senior year then we'd probably have been more attractive to recruits at the a back spot. But while it was good to get them the ball in space we spread the touches to too thin for that point to stick in.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maribeth Monroe Reaction GIF by CBS

I hear yall on the Coastal guy. What I'm saying though is 'scheme' doesn't impress me. Make a case for him without telling me his scheme is so fancy-smancy. Whats the defense doing? Is what he does scalable to the ACC and beyond?

There, jesters, you have your orders. Now make me laugh.

I hear you. Didn't mean to suggest it's about CPJ, was just using that as an example i guess.

Just, as I said to bobo, not impressed with the 'scheme' talk.
Well, Coastal is 31-4 over the last three seasons, so there's that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's all relative. Chadwell would be able to recruit a higher class of SAs at GT than he would at CCU. Here's Coastal against #13 (at the time) BYU in 2020. Coastal won 22-17:

That's against a team with 23-25 year olds on the roster. They didn't destroy BYU, but it gives you an idea of Chadwell's scheme against a bigger and physically superior team. I'm not saying Chadwell at GT would beat UGA and Clemson consistently, but his offense would actually move the ball and put teams like Clemson and UGA on skates. We'd actually have a fighting chance.

Deleted member 6494

You are correct; there was a religious/political group of insiders and certain team members that did not want Gailey as the coach. They tried to have him dismissed before he ever coached a down at Tech. They had already talked with a previous head coach at Tech and wanted him back as the head coach to replace Gailey if they could have Gailey run off before he could coach.

I was told the previous head coach agreed to come back if they did get rid of Gailey, but he would have no part in that effort. A Catholic insider called me and sat up a meeting with me; he thought I owned Stingtalk and they would pay me to let them use the board to gather more people to join their cause of getting rid of Gailey.

He was shocked when he found out I was only a posting member of Stingtalk. I let it be known on Stingtalk that this group was trying to get rid of Gailey. I also let it be known that they were upset because Gailey brought his own Baptist Chaplain with him; the Catholic chaplain from the on campus Catholic church would not have an active part with the football program but would still be the chaplain for the other sports.

There was another person temporarily on the board who was on the inside and knew all that was going on. Since this person saw I was condemning the underhanded ones, this person called me on my home phone and told me that all I was posting on Stingtalk was true.

I refused to be a part of the insider's plans. I told both that I would not reveal either of them. It was an accident that I learned all this. It was also ironic that I found out in talking with him that I knew his mother when we were young, and his sister was in the same school class as my daughter.

Bill O'Brien was the OC at that time; I think Key was an offensive lineman at that time.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
You were doing great until the "or". In the Coastal film clip, the backs were not running against future NFLers and the receivers were not running patterns against future NFLers. Look at our backs, OL, and receivers in '08, '14, and even '16....ok?
I dunno. Maybe.

Seems to me that a well-run route and a well-delivered ball will beat the DB more times than not regardless of his stars. The receiver knows where he's going and the defense is playing catch-up from the moment the ball is snapped.

Isn't that why coaches blitz from time to time? To catch the offense off-guard from time to time?

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
We still have people voting for Key. That says a lot about our fan base. I pity who comes next. They are doomed to fail or be run out by stupid fans.
Our fans may disagree on things but you know what will get them behind somebody… winning. Everyone enjoys winning. Whoever takes the job next could be despised by the fans when introduced. But if you win, everybody’s happy. Similar to when CPJ arrived. I’m too young to really remember it all, so I didn’t have an opinion on him. But my parents say that while they didn’t mind him when he was hired, a lot of GT fans were upset and skeptical that the option could word on the P5 level. Well by the end of 2009, he could probably have run for governor. Winning makes everything better.