Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JacketFan137

Banned
Why is how much the head coach gets paid so important to you? That is not a valid measuring stick for anything, and it has been proven so repeatedly.
it’s not necessarily about paying the coach the most money in the world or overpaying a coach but hiring a guy who would cost us a significant amount of money or bringing in quality assistants that would cost more money would indicate an actual commitment to football and align with cabrera’s statements

watching us cheap out on a coach and staff after claiming we want to be a competitive program would just be a slap in the face to fans. i don’t expect a jimbo fisher contract but there’s no reason why we shouldn’t outspend most of our conference

this is kinda funny. pay the lowest salary in the acc and get the worst performance in the acc ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
i don’t expect a jimbo fisher contract but there’s no reason why we shouldn’t outspend most of our conference
Sure there is a reason. We don't have the revenue to support a high profile hire.

Take almost any SEC team ... raise the price of your swag slightly. The licensing fees along will generate massive increases in cash. As will raising season ticket prices. That's how TN got rid of Butch Jones. $5/seat x 100,000 x 7 = $3.5M a year. Easy.

Tech can't do that. There is almost no market for Tech swag, season ticket sales are stuck at 20,000 a year and declining. This is the main issue that Tech has ... how to fix the revenue problem.

One thing that has hurt us is recruiting. Tech is limited to a subsidy percentage of 10% of Direct Institutional Support and often, that subsidy is the waiver of out-of-state students. It's a non-cash charge, so there is no money changing hands but ... I believe that if Tech recruited more in Georgia, the savings in out-of-state tuition waivers could be repurposed as DIS directly to the GTAA and THAT could be used to hire better staff.

I just don't think anyone has sat down and actually designed a system that is outcome focused with the constraints we have. Perhaps Batt will.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
there’s no reason why we shouldn’t outspend most of our conference

Other than having less money than most of the conference and being saddled with debt you mean...

I get what you are saying, and agree that we need to spend money to hire a good coach, but the reality is unless we get some major donor support, we don't have the money to win an arms race for a coaching staff.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
One thing that has hurt us is recruiting.
And that's another consideration - the recruiting budget. No, we can't afford a high-profile hire. Better to go with an up-and-comer we can get for less so as to have money left over for the people who will help him to be successful - and money left for recruiting, too.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely true, but in his defense, he mentioned the staff as well. The less we pay the HC, the more we can afford to pay his coordinators and assistants. So, unless the GTAA has discovered a money tree, the HC's salary has to be some consideration. It wouldn't be a good idea to blow the budget on a Rolls Royce HC and have only enough left to fill out his staff with used Plymouths.
I agree with all of that, he just likes to specifically complain about the head coach's salary, he's done it in the past and did in that post as well. Collin's being the 9th highest paid coach in the ACC had no bearing on how successful he was. If he was the 1st, 5th, or 14th highest paid he would have still sucked. Just hire a good coach, and if you can get him cheaper and spend the extra on better coordinators or recruiting, even better.

He claims to like Chadwell as one of his top options, but if we started Chadwell at $2.5m/yr, and Chadwell recruits 3 stars, he could win 11 games a year for 4 straight years and 137 would be whining about not paying enough and poor recruiting.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all of that, he just likes to specifically complain about the head coach's salary, he's done it in the past and did in that post as well. Collin's being the 9th highest paid coach in the ACC had no bearing on how successful he was. If he was the 1st, 5th, or 14th highest paid he would have still sucked. Just hire a good coach, and if you can get him cheaper and spend the extra on better coordinators or recruiting, even better.
This post reminded me of Brady Hoke, former head coach at UM. He meets my criteria of a coach who had operated at a high level (Michigan, Tennessee) but due to circumstances finds himself back in the Mountain West. His brother coaches with the Falcons.

Any scoop on him? He's done turnarounds ...

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Other than having less money than most of the conference and being saddled with debt you mean...

I get what you are saying, and agree that we need to spend money to hire a good coach, but the reality is unless we get some major donor support, we don't have the money to win an arms race for a coaching staff.
...other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln? ;)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just hire a good coach, and if you can get him cheaper and spend the extra on better coordinators or recruiting, even better.
Absolutely. Spending more money does not necessarily mean we'll end up with a better HC.
Great coaches command great salaries, but that's after everyone finds out what great coaches they are. Finding a great coach before everyone knows it is where the AD earns his salary.

JacketFan137

Banned

He claims to like Chadwell as one of his top options, but if we started Chadwell at $2.5m/yr, and Chadwell recruits 3 stars, he could win 11 games a year for 4 straight years and 137 would be whining about not paying enough and poor recruiting.
you always come close to making a salient point and then blow it all with some stupid personal dig at the end

JacketFan137

Banned

i think our donor support needs some proof of concept for us to see the money go up. we have access to more money than some people want to pretend and we just hired a supposed “elite” fundraiser AD, although i’ve yet to see him in a waffle house

i am not saying that we need to blow the budget and hire a jimbo fisher with a 80 million dollar buyout but we have got to show some kind of serious investment in football over the next few years.

you cheap out on the program and you get cheap results.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Money is important if it's limiting who we can hire.

There is a difference between hiring your first choice and getting him for 3.3 million, vs being told a price out of your range for your first 5 choices and then landing your number 6 choice because he was the first on the list with a low enough price tag.

Obviously there are exceptions. Sometimes guys just aren't interested or the number is just too astronomically high that we can't reasonably pay it (looking at what LSU and TAMU have done).

My opinion, for me to really buy what the president said, we'd have to be willing to go upwards of 5 mil to get our top choice. Maybe we won't have to depending on who is the first choice, but be willing to if it comes to that.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Changed my vote from Key to Chadwell. I have always been high on Chadwell but was on pulling for Key since he has been easy to root for since becoming interim. I think I just wanted a feel-good story about GT football for a change. Back to reality, though. Chadwell has always been my favorite option should Key not get it. I loved having CPJ and think an innovative and different offense is what we need to be competitive. If not Chadwell, any of the other innovative offensive minds posted here before will get me excited. I want to get back to X's and O's and less about branding/recruiting. We need to accept who we are and that does not mean what most people think it does. If you execute on the field, you have a path to the playoff and you don't have to be littered with 5 stars to do it (TCU and Cincinatti, for instance).

One thing that has not been discussed enough in my opinion is the possibility of getting a D-2 coach. A lot of those guys have to be program builders just to keep things going year after year. Kansas has lucked out going that route. GT product David Dean out of West Georgia would be a wildcard/ hail mary option there.

1. Chadwell
2. Mullen
3. Bill O'Brien (if and only if we have a O.C. that calls plays/runs the offense. I think BOB would be a decent HC, just not OC. Perhaps Godsey as OC, retain Key on staff to keep recruiting class intact)
4. Jim Mora - return to Atlanta after getting UCONN bowling. He has also done that with a true freshman QB and a 3rd/4th string rb. Unreal job done by him this year.
5. Corey Dennis
6. Alex Atkins (FSU OC)
7-100. Some offensive coach
101. For the memes - Urban Meyer
102. If we sell our program's soul - Kendal Briles. Hugh Freeze
103. Jeff Callins
1668443234257.png

JacketFan137

Banned
Changed my vote from Key to Chadwell. I have always been high on Chadwell but was on pulling for Key since he has been easy to root for since becoming interim. I think I just wanted a feel-good story about GT football for a change. Back to reality, though. Chadwell has always been my favorite option should Key not get it. I loved having CPJ and think an innovative and different offense is what we need to be competitive. If not Chadwell, any of the other innovative offensive minds posted here before will get me excited. I want to get back to X's and O's and less about branding/recruiting. We need to accept who we are and that does not mean what most people think it does. If you execute on the field, you have a path to the playoff and you don't have to be littered with 5 stars to do it (TCU and Cincinatti, for instance).

One thing that has not been discussed enough in my opinion is the possibility of getting a D-2 coach. A lot of those guys have to be program builders just to keep things going year after year. Kansas has lucked out going that route. GT product David Dean out of West Georgia would be a wildcard/ hail mary option there.

1. Chadwell
2. Mullen
3. Bill O'Brien (if and only if we have a O.C. that calls plays/runs the offense. I think BOB would be a decent HC, just not OC. Perhaps Godsey as OC, retain Key on staff to keep recruiting class intact)
4. Jim Mora - return to Atlanta after getting UCONN bowling. He has also done that with a true freshman QB and a 3rd/4th string rb. Unreal job done by him this year.
5. Corey Dennis
6. Alex Atkins (FSU OC)
7-100. Some offensive coach
101. For the memes - Urban Meyer
102. If we sell our program's soul - Kendal Briles. Hugh Freeze
103. Jeff Callins View attachment 13512
if we hire a d-2 coach if they don’t win 7+ games year one i think any remaining good will from our fanbase will be completely squandered.

it would be a very tough sell to follow up collins with a guy like that

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i think our donor support needs some proof of concept for us to see the money go up. we have access to more money than some people want to pretend and we just hired a supposed “elite” fundraiser AD, although i’ve yet to see him in a waffle house

i am not saying that we need to blow the budget and hire a jimbo fisher with a 80 million dollar buyout but we have got to show some kind of serious investment in football over the next few years.

you cheap out on the program and you get cheap results.

Not the point. You said there was no reason why we can't outspend most of the ACC on a coach and I just gave you a reason.

JacketFan137

Banned
Not the point. You said there was no reason why we can't outspend most of the ACC on a coach and I just gave you a reason.
pedantic but that is par for the course on the swarm.

we should be spending more than some teams in our conference as i believe we have a lot more potential to be successful than some of the other programs in our conference and the return on investment could be bountiful.

probably a better representation of what i meant to say

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Here's a thought. We tried to get him to come here as OC last year, he declined because the Ravens offered him. If we somehow can't get anyone big to come here what if we tried George Godsey? He's got a lot of NFL coaching experience under his belt, and obviously his playing career and love for Tech needs no introduction.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's a thought. We tried to get him to come here as OC last year, he declined because the Ravens offered him. If we somehow can't get anyone big to come here what if we tried George Godsey? He's got a lot of NFL coaching experience under his belt, and obviously his playing career and love for Tech needs no introduction.
he probably doesnt want to coach college.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I like having a former QB as HC. Would love to make GT a destination program for top QB's. We definitely need to define some sort of positive identity for our program to sell to recruits.