Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
The man is retired for health reasons, surely there is a legit reason for that considering he’s only in his mid-50’s
Or he could have pulled an Urban Meyer. Bill Clark seems like a pretty good guy both morally and coaching-wise so that may be doubtful.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I think too many fans are stuck on BK and BOB because they’ve been here before. Key played here and wants the job so bad. This was also Collin’s dream job that he wanted so bad and look how that turned out (I was one of the ones all in on Collins, he sold me. I think fans are buying too much into the three wins. Those wins do have a lot to do with Key but they also have a lot to do with the change of face and voice and the kids had just quit playing for Collins. Hell Thacker or Long could have probity got a couple wins out of them. I believe like Collins, Key does love GT but I don’t personally think he is the guy for the job. Collins wanted to win badly and I really think had some great pieces to a puzzle in his mind but couldn’t put it together. If GT wasn’t as far down as they are then maybe Key, but this has to be a homerun hire and I don’t think you gamble on the “Tech Guy” because he played here and loves the school and wants the job. I don’t think he’s our Kirby Smart. I also don’t think you hire him because he could be a cheap option. Maybe Key will land a smaller job and be great idk. If he’s the hire I’ll support him. I’d also support BOB but don’t think he’s the man either. Yes he coached at Tech and him and Batt have crossed paths but truthfully, Alabama offense hasn’t been great under him. He done some good things at Penn State but truthfully I think he’s just waiting to get back to the NFL

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I hope whoever we hire is given the resources and the support of the Hill to get in players that can compete for championships.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The man is retired for health reasons, surely there is a legit reason for that considering he’s only in his mid-50’s
From what I read, he has had chronic back issues following an injury and it got to the point this summer that he needed to get surgery. Due to the recovery time with the surgery he would not be able to coach THIS year so he had to "retire" from UAB. That being said, assuming his recovery went well he could easily be back to coach for next year.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I hope Batt makes the right one whether by skill or pure dumb luck.
Unfortunately, Ma Tech doesn't teach much on luck in the engineering classes. That said, some of my best life outcomes have been purely dumb *** luck. If it works out that way for ADJB to name the right coach, I'm all for it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Gruden would be an awesome coach but the text he sent was in bad taste and would always be used against him. He would likely bring in top QB prospects.
Unfortunately, Ma Tech doesn't teach much on luck in the engineering classes. That said, some of my best life outcomes have been purely dumb *** luck. If it works out that way for ADJB to name the right coach, I'm all for it.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Mr. Batt might know of a few guys who are are not on any of our current lists.

In addition, I’m pretty sure Mr. Batt has been consulting with Mr. Saban for his recommendations.

So, I’m just waiting to see what he announces at the end of the season.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think too many fans are stuck on BK and BOB because they’ve been here before. Key played here and wants the job so bad. This was also Collin’s dream job that he wanted so bad and look how that turned out (I was one of the ones all in on Collins, he sold me. I think fans are buying too much into the three wins. Those wins do have a lot to do with Key but they also have a lot to do with the change of face and voice and the kids had just quit playing for Collins. Hell Thacker or Long could have probity got a couple wins out of them. I believe like Collins, Key does love GT but I don’t personally think he is the guy for the job. Collins wanted to win badly and I really think had some great pieces to a puzzle in his mind but couldn’t put it together. If GT wasn’t as far down as they are then maybe Key, but this has to be a homerun hire and I don’t think you gamble on the “Tech Guy” because he played here and loves the school and wants the job. I don’t think he’s our Kirby Smart. I also don’t think you hire him because he could be a cheap option. Maybe Key will land a smaller job and be great idk. If he’s the hire I’ll support him. I’d also support BOB but don’t think he’s the man either. Yes he coached at Tech and him and Batt have crossed paths but truthfully, Alabama offense hasn’t been great under him. He done some good things at Penn State but truthfully I think he’s just waiting to get back to the NFL
With Key, you're probably right. With BOB, that's way off base.

BOB's time at GT is about 99% irrelevant as to why he is qualified as a candidate. Basically everything he has done elsewhere is why he is qualified. There is both a GT familiarity and a Batt familiarity, but neither is the among the top reasons for our interest. Frankly, the only reason the connection to GT may be relevant is because that may be a reason BOB considers us. I think he will have options.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It's not always so much luck as it is timing. Sometimes the stars are in alignment for right place at the right time. Guess one could call that luck.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know who my choice is but some thoughts on some of the candidates;

C.B.K. - I love his apparent 'love' for the GT program. I'm overall pleased with his efforts thus far as interim H.C. I'm not as concerned about his record here as O-line coach (I just don't think it necessarily correlated to being a H.C.) but there are questions about is he 'ready'. I may be alone in this but I wouldn't be totally against giving him a shot with an incentive heavy contract and a re-work of the staff. I know it's not exactly the same situation but most folks were not at all sure about Dabo but he came in and went with top-notch coordinators and we see what happened there.

BO'B - Probably as close to a 'sure' thing as there is (those of you saying that he's being considered only cause he coached here before are biased the other way - only don't want him cause he coached here) but I wonder that he would have one eye on the GT program and the other on the NFL.

Chadwell - I like the offense which doesn't appear to be as heavily T.O. as I thought it might be. I truly believe GT needs some degree of scheme 'gimmick' to be successful (I don't see us being able to compete in the 'trenches' in a traditional way anymore with the 'big boys'). Chadwell's (or is it Korn's) offense could very well be the answer... I am a little concerned with his staff and possibly recruiting. I would be pretty excited if he and Korn came and we hired a top-notch D.C.

Coach Prime - The energy and recruiting would be fantastic but maybe just too many questions about can he run a P5 program and what his staff would look like. Possibly a good choice if GTBattman got some of these answers up-front.

Given our constraints, we need to make a smart vs splashy hire. Maybe the Hill and Cabrera are going to allocate more institute resources but we still won't be in the SEC or B1G category of staff payroll. I'm thinking it's smarter to go just a little budget-minded on the H.C. and leave something to get some really good coordinators and staff.

So, after typing all that, I guess my choice is;
1a - Chadwell and a really known/proven D.C. that can recruit
1b - C.B.K. and two really known/proven coordinators that can recruit

JacketFan137

Banned
I vote "Other" and write in Paul Johnson... only because it will cause 137 and option haters to lose their minds.....
i’ve said he’s our best coach in recent history and have chadwell as my second favorite candidate but the option cultists have labeled me as an option hater because they can’t accept any criticism of anything related to their offense. soft

bishopbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Mr. Batt might know of a few guys who are are not on any of our current lists.

In addition, I’m pretty sure Mr. Batt has been consulting with Mr. Saban for his recommendations.

So, I’m just waiting to see what he announces at the end of the season.
100% this. I think Saban will play the role of Caesar in giving the thumbs up/down, especially in the fates of Key and BO'B

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
100% this. I think Saban will play the role of Caesar in giving the thumbs up/down, especially in the fates of Key and BO'B.
While I agree that Batt has a list of candidates he's considering, some from his own personal contacts and others from Parker Search, I doubt he's going to run it by Saban. Saban doesn't care about anyone but Saban and he'll probably just say, "I'm sure you will select the best candidate for the program."

I personally think the most likely candidate is one no one has heard of but has a track record of success.