Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
While I agree that Batt has a list of candidates he's considering, some from his own personal contacts and others from Parker Search, I doubt he's going to run it by Saban. Saban doesn't care about anyone but Saban and he'll probably just say, "I'm sure you will select the best candidate for the program."

I personally think the most likely candidate is one no one has heard of but has a track record of success.
I would not be surprised if it is no one that we are discussing, is completely out of left field, but is someone that many (it can never be all) fans will be very happy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
While I agree that Batt has a list of candidates he's considering, some from his own personal contacts and others from Parker Search, I doubt he's going to run it by Saban. Saban doesn't care about anyone but Saban and he'll probably just say, "I'm sure you will select the best candidate for the program."

I personally think the most likely candidate is one no one has heard of but has a track record of success.

I believe one thing Saban will do IF (big IF) Batt does ask is give him the truth about a candidate...and that also depends on if Saban personally knows that candidate. I saw a special with Saban and Belichek talking about their friendship. Saban spoke about how some NFL scouts and coaches never call him about his thoughts on a draftable player that played for him. He said it was a professional courtesy to tell the truth about a player. I believe he would apply the same truth to any coach that has ever coached under him or he had first had knowledge of.

I don't think Saban would ever tell anyone who they needed to hire or who they should hire though.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Would we really be happy with someone who does not have ties to the Southeast high schools? And if not, that must rule out a lot of names that we could add to the mix just for the sake of discussion, right?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who my choice is but some thoughts on some of the candidates;

C.B.K. - I love his apparent 'love' for the GT program. I'm overall pleased with his efforts thus far as interim H.C. I'm not as concerned about his record here as O-line coach (I just don't think it necessarily correlated to being a H.C.) but there are questions about is he 'ready'. I may be alone in this but I wouldn't be totally against giving him a shot with an incentive heavy contract and a re-work of the staff. I know it's not exactly the same situation but most folks were not at all sure about Dabo but he came in and went with top-notch coordinators and we see what happened there.
Dabo was excelling as a WR coach and was one of the best recruiters in the country for an 8+ win program before he took the interim role. That is a bit different than failing as an OL coach and not recruiting all that well for a 3 win program. Even then, taking Dabo was a huge risk. If we are in the mood to just take similar risk at HC on a random position coach then heck, bring Choice back and give it to him. His group was playing well and he was recruiting well.

stigs02jrt

Banned
For the folks that say that Deion wouldn't take the GT job: What other school would actually offer him a job that's better than GT? I don't think schools like Auburn or better offer him, they'd look for a more proven candidate.

GT is a great fit, he became a superstar in Atlanta, it's the black capital of America, ridiculous talent here in Georgia, tech graduates the most black engineers, he'd love coaching in ATL and he'd fill the seats on day 1. Yes, we'd be a 4 year stop before he goes to FSU, but it would be an incredible 4 years if FSU comes calling and might just put us on the big stage again for the next hire.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Dabo was excelling as a WR coach and was one of the best recruiters in the country for an 8+ win program before he took the interim role. That is a bit different than failing as an OL coach and not recruiting all that well for a 3 win program. Even then, taking Dabo was a huge risk. If we are in the mood to just take similar risk at HC on a random position coach then heck, bring Choice back and give it to him. His group was playing well and he was recruiting well.
I’ve actually been thinking about Tashard and wondering when he might be ready for an OC position. Although Texas hasn’t been setting the college football world on fire, they ain’t chopped liver, especially with running the ball. With his recruiting reputation, I think he has a bright future ahead.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I like Chadwell. Much more of a boom or bust prospect than the other big names. I think we will have a mini exodus after the season, and I want a guy with a fresh slate and long leash to build from ground up. QB guru. My only reservations are the usuals: can he do it at P5 level, can he put together a p5 staff, can he recruit well enough to challenge for the ACC title.

Choice 1B: Billy O. Familiarity with the constraints of Tech. Track record of success as a P5 HC, can recruit a p5 staff, can sell his NFL bonefides. QB guru. Reservations are that he would bail for the NFL if able, hasn’t recruited in this new environment.

Choice 2: Mullen. Success at another little brother school. QB guru.
Negatives: eccentric, reportedly doesn’t like to recruit, does he still have the fire

I’m appreciative of Key holding together what could have ended as a 1 win season, but feel we need to turn the page on this era of tech football.
Deion isn’t coming here imo, so no consideration.

Ponte vedra GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I like Chadwell. Much more of a boom or bust prospect than the other big names. I think we will have a mini exodus after the season, and I want a guy with a fresh slate and long leash to build from ground up. QB guru. My only reservations are the usuals: can he do it at P5 level, can he put together a p5 staff, can he recruit well enough to challenge for the ACC title.

Choice 1B: Billy O. Familiarity with the constraints of Tech. Track record of success as a P5 HC, can recruit a p5 staff, can sell his NFL bonefides. QB guru. Reservations are that he would bail for the NFL if able, hasn’t recruited in this new environment.

Choice 2: Mullen. Success at another little brother school. QB guru.
Negatives: eccentric, reportedly doesn’t like to recruit, does he still have the fire

I’m appreciative of Key holding together what could have ended as a 1 win season, but feel we need to turn the page on this era of tech football.
Deion isn’t coming here imo, so no consideration.
Good stuff , I like the wake coach , it may take 7-10!
But he is proven .

JacketFan137

Banned
The HFC doesn't need ties to our recruiting footprint, but you would want staff that does.
i think they need to at least be familiar with the southeast. would prefer a guy who’s been successful somewhere in the region rather than a west coast guy.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Chadwell is my top choice. I personally believe that the best coaches generally work their way up from lower levels as head coaches. Rather than career assistants who make the jump to the top job. Running a program, hiring/managing a staff, managing a game, having the buck stop with you, is a whole different skillset. Anyone who's never been a HC has to learn those skills, some great coordinators fall completely flat at the big job. Chadwell has won pretty much everywhere he's been. Bill Clark also fits that profile, if he's healthy and wants back in.

Key is probably my second choice, assuming he'd agree to a favorable contract: 4 years, ~$2 million a year, very low buyout, incentives - spend the savings on upgrading the assistants. I've seen enough to think he'd be a steady hand and possibly a very good coach once he settles in. Wouldn't be an exciting hire, but we could do much worse. He's already clearly a better HC than the last guy. I'd rather keep him than go for another 'reach' hire if we can't land a top candidate.

Willie Fritz would be a solid choice, but he'd probably be a short-term stabilizer before he retires. I'd rather keep Key in that scenario. Mike Houston is also interesting, but his results at ECU aren't as inspiring as other options. Tyson Helton looks like a good coach, but I don't feel like he has enough experience in the SE. Huff, Lewis, Wommack and Deion don't have a long enough winning track record, IMHO. Too big of a dice roll for where we're at.

I'd be very happy with O'Brien. But he's being mentioned as a candidate for every open job and may have a return to the NFL as a goal. Not sure he'd take Tech. If Batt/Cabrera can offer him enough resources that he wants the job, then great.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Chadwell is my top choice, but I could go for Bill Clark if he brings in an innovative OC.
My only questions for Chadwell are:
1. How much of his success at Coastal is due to him finding the perfect QB to run his system? Not saying he couldnt find one at GT, but if he doesn't find it how good is the offense?
2. Can he recruit? Can he hire a P5 staff?
Every coach has question marks so with that said, I would be thrilled with him but have a slight personal preference of Bill Clark who also has his own question marks

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My only questions for Chadwell are:
1. How much of his success at Coastal is due to him finding the perfect QB to run his system? Not saying he couldnt find one at GT, but if he doesn't find it how good is the offense?
2. Can he recruit? Can he hire a P5 staff?
Every coach has question marks so with that said, I would be thrilled with him but have a slight personal preference of Bill Clark who also has his own question marks
Again, how is signing and developing a 2 star QB to elevate your already successful program to new heights somehow a negative?