Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
because Key lost at home to a REALLY bad UVA team, but for that, he would be in much better shape. And go ahead and blame QB play, but Key has seen Pyron as much as anyone and a better coach should have started Pyron over Gibson
I thought I understood that Pyron was practicing with the scout team until CGC was fired. (I also thought that according to CGC we didn't have a scout team.) With that understanding, he had only been practicing the GT plays and with the GT players for two weeks before the UVA game. I don't know that putting him in during the UVA game was going to change the outcome.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I understand that this is all in good fun.

However, let's not pretend this is some easy decision. I don't envy J at all given that his tenure is going to be judged by this one hire pretty much the same as Stansbury was with the CGC hire. Our choice or want has zero risk; if our individual "pick" gets hired, all we have to do is shout "Fire XYZ" when things don't work out and propose the next pick.

With that said, I would like to see CBK succeed here and will continue to cheer him on and the team to succeed.

For other candidates, I would prefer a head coach that does not think they are bigger (or better) than Georgia Tech.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. It has nothing to with his being a former National Coach of the Year in his first head coaching job or that he won his division in the NFL in four of six seasons. It is just because he coached here.
I have no idea who would really be a good coach for us. But I do think most of the one we have talked about would not come here. I know no one wants to hear it but Tech is not a great place to coach today. Look at the other schools that will be needing to hire a new Head Coach and we would be far down the line. Now maybe the new President can change that but not sure how and what he can do.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Other. Whoever AD Batt recommends.
This is my thinking as well. I have no insight into who our AD or the search firm (if we're still using them) will recommend, or for what reasons. I had never heard of J Batt until we hired him. Could be the same for our next head football coach.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s embarrassing seeing how pitiful our fan base is getting excited about mediocre football. I get that Key is doing better than Collins but my local HS coach could probably do that too. Our standards have dropped to Vandy/Kansas level. We should have beat the brakes off VT with our roster especially now that we know Pyron is a baller. They are literally one of the worst P5 teams. Hire a real coach that has actually won as a HC.
So there are only two people on the OP’s list with any P5 HC experience, and posters are barfing up on both of them (not everyone).

The other coaches on the list (getting 80% of votes, although not sure about the 13% “other”) have been successful at a lower level, kind of similar to our previous experiment that everyone viewed as such an important bold move, right up until it blew up in our face. Of course we arguably sort of ran off a successful “real coach” to conduct that impressive experiment.

Everyone here probably knows the definition of insanity. Anyway, we’re just kicking around ideas on here with no actual influence, but the thought process is interesting.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I can't make this call. I dunno who would be best for us.
I hope Batt makes the right one whether by skill or pure dumb luck.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Genuine question. Why is there a need for Key to beat the mutts in order to get the job? What coach in college football could beat them with our roster and situation this year? Should we not hold every candidate to the same standard?
Maybe UGA will work with us so we can give all our coaching candidates a dress rehearsal scrimmage against the Dwags. Lose and you're out.

Jolly Good Fellow
Heck no to Gruden. We don’t need the circus and negative recruiting his hiring would bring to us.
LOL!!!
Chances Deion takes the Tech job are zero...chances Gruden takes the job are less than zero...
In fantasy land scenario, I take Gruden over Deion.... because Jon has, you know, actually proven that he is great coach.
Deion is HoF corner/returner who does bad-bad-bad AFLAC commercials with Nick Saban .....

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Genuine question. Why is there a need for Key to beat the mutts in order to get the job? What coach in college football could beat them with our roster and situation this year? Should we not hold every candidate to the same standard?

Since this seems to have derived from my comment, I'll state that if Key were to win the rest, excepting uga, I'd still be happy if we kept him.

However, I highly doubt that Key will be retained even if we win 6 games and lose to uga. My gut says ADJB is going to rip the band aid off this regime and start fresh, which is probably the wisest move. The only way, realistically, Key even gets considered is if he stuns uga and puts a big damper on their bid for a second NC. Hence, my post.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
So there are only two people on the OP’s list with any P5 HC experience, and posters are barfing up on both of them (not everyone).

The other coaches on the list (getting 80% of votes, although not sure about the 13% “other”) have been successful at a lower level, kind of similar to our previous experiment that everyone viewed as such an important bold move, right up until it blew up in our face. Of course we arguably sort of ran off a successful “real coach” to conduct that impressive experiment.

Everyone here probably knows the definition of insanity. Anyway, we’re just kicking around ideas on here with no actual influence, but the thought process is interesting.
I hope we can agree the G5 coaches being thrown around this time have a bit more of a proven track record as head coaches than GC did. No coach is going to be without risk, but I really want a guy who has lead a program and shown a positive trajectory over many seasons.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck

Who said we have to hire a P5 coach? There are plenty of options at the G5 level that are proven HCs and have won at their level. Key has never been a HC so even a G5 HC has more experience running a program than him. Someone like Chadwell and Clark should be top options. They are not at all like CGC who was only a HC for a couple years and inherited a good team that didn’t require any rebuilding.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bill Clark,,The more I find out about him, the better I like him!!
Yes. I voted for Chadwell, but there's a de3cent chance he won't bite. Same with BOB, unfortunately. Of the most ocmmmopnly mentioned, they are the most likely first calls.

But … I wouldn't be upset with either Clark or Mullen. And it might come to that. All we can do is wait and see.

Hard no on Sanders, btw. We don't need another hype master and he would be unlikely to take the job. Further, if he did he wouldn't know what to do with it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We might be Chadwell’s best P5 chance just because of schools shying away from the perceived option stigma. UVA should have jumped on him last year but shockingly Cavman’s alma mater just didn’t have the balls to go for it