Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Again, how is signing and developing a 2 star QB to elevate your already successful program to new heights somehow a negative?

Did he say it was a negative? It's a pretty legitimate question. Chadwell's first year (2017) as HC replacing Moglia he went 3-9. Moglia came back for a year (2018) and went 5-7. Chadwell took over permanently in 2019 and went 5-7. McCall, a True Freshman that year only played in two games. CCU took back off in 2020 when McCall took over as starting QB.

Now, there are several bits of nuance here. 2017 was their first year as FBS, so the 5-7 records in their first two years of FBS aren't bad. Also, as you said, he should get credit for developing a QB that no one was all that high on out of HS.

In the end, I think I'd be very pleased with Chadwell as coach, but one of my worries is how much of his offensive success is due to the QB. History has shown that phenomenal QB play (Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrows, etc.) can vastly raise the profile and winning percentage of a team. Chadwell may be the next best HC out there, but as a HC, he hasn't had a single winning season without McCall under center.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
My only questions for Chadwell are:
1. How much of his success at Coastal is due to him finding the perfect QB to run his system? Not saying he couldnt find one at GT, but if he doesn't find it how good is the offense?
2. Can he recruit? Can he hire a P5 staff?
Every coach has question marks so with that said, I would be thrilled with him but have a slight personal preference of Bill Clark who also has his own question marks
1. Guess that's part of the job, but he's won everywhere he's been.
2. I would think winning and playing in a "fun" offense would attract talent. I trust he could hire a top notch staff.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Did he say it was a negative? It's a pretty legitimate question. Chadwell's first year (2017) as HC replacing Moglia he went 3-9. Moglia came back for a year (2018) and went 5-7. Chadwell took over permanently in 2019 and went 5-7. McCall, a True Freshman that year only played in two games. CCU took back off in 2020 when McCall took over as starting QB.

Now, there are several bits of nuance here. 2017 was their first year as FBS, so the 5-7 records in their first two years of FBS aren't bad. Also, as you said, he should get credit for developing a QB that no one was all that high on out of HS.

In the end, I think I'd be very pleased with Chadwell as coach, but one of my worries is how much of his offensive success is due to the QB. History has shown that phenomenal QB play (Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrows, etc.) can vastly raise the profile and winning percentage of a team. Chadwell may be the next best HC out there, but as a HC, he hasn't had a single winning season without McCall under center.
The year he went 3-9 as interim is pretty well explained in the article about chadwell that was on ESPN.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
My only questions for Chadwell are:
1. How much of his success at Coastal is due to him finding the perfect QB to run his system? Not saying he couldnt find one at GT, but if he doesn't find it how good is the offense?
2. Can he recruit? Can he hire a P5 staff?
Every coach has question marks so with that said, I would be thrilled with him but have a slight personal preference of Bill Clark who also has his own question marks
Okay. That struck me as kind of funny :)

1) He found the perfect guy to run his offense, so we don't know if the offense is good
2) Can he recruit the perfect guys for his system?

Not throwing shade, as it is what I was thinking until I read it put that way. It just struck me as funny the way we think sometimes.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell may be the next best HC out there, but as a HC, he hasn't had a single winning season without McCall under center.
2 of his 3 seasons at North Greenville and all 4 seasons at Charleston Southern were winning seasons. Did you mean just at Coastal Carolina?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The year he went 3-9 as interim is pretty well explained in the article about chadwell that was on ESPN.

I've read the article and don't hold his 3-9 season against him nor do I really hold his 5-7 year against him. I was just pointing out that it was a valid question. Whether people like it or not really doesn't matter.

As for me, Chadwell's in my top 3 preferences for a new HC, but all of my top 3 have questions I can't really answer until they come here and prove what they can do. That's going to be true for most coaches out there.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay. That struck me as kind of funny :)

1) He found the perfect guy to run his offense, so we don't know if the offense is good
2) Can he recruit the perfect guys for his system?

Not throwing shade, as it is what I was thinking until I read it put that way. It just struck me as funny the way we think sometimes.
I said I would be thrilled if we got Chadwell..i was just pointing out the obvious question marks. Before he got his QB, the offense was not as good and they were an average team. Every year since McCall has started, they have been really good. All Im saying is that having a perfect QB can inflate the success of the offense. As I said, every coach has question marks and that is Batt's job to determine if they are legit questions or not

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

I guess I am classifying his questions (reasons for doubt) as negatives. Your response is fair with regards to his time at CCU. They were successful prior to him getting there when they were a FCS program. He was successful at CSU prior to joining Moglia's staff as OC, so he has had winning seasons without McCall. Just not at CCU. His taking over the team two days before summer practice started was not a great situation for him or the team. But I think he learned a lot and is now an exceptional coach.

Deleted member 6494

Mr. Batt might know of a few guys who are are not on any of our current lists.

In addition, I’m pretty sure Mr. Batt has been consulting with Mr. Saban for his recommendations.

So, I’m just waiting to see what he announces at the end of the season.
I don't think Batt needs to hear that at this particular time from Saban.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Fantastic article. I like him even more now. No gimmicks. No BS. Just straight talk, hard work, and attention to details.

Deleted member 6494

With Key, you're probably right. With BOB, that's way off base.

BOB's time at GT is about 99% irrelevant as to why he is qualified as a candidate. Basically everything he has done elsewhere is why he is qualified. There is both a GT familiarity and a Batt familiarity, but neither is the among the top reasons for our interest. Frankly, the only reason the connection to GT may be relevant is because that may be a reason BOB considers us. I think he will have options.
I originally posted that the decision to hire O'Brien was made prior to hiring Batt; I believe it was made by the present administration and the money boosters, but Batt may have the right to overturn their choice. It has been rumored he already had a choice, but also had someone else in mind.

He may have agreed to their choice since he knew both Key and O'Brien, however his research may have given him some doubt. Go to https://fansided.com/2022/10/14/georgia-tech-j-batt-brent-key-bill-obrien/

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell is my top choice. I personally believe that the best coaches generally work their way up from lower levels as head coaches
In my corporate days, I did a lot of work with the US Army and it’s leadership development teams. They have 200+years of data on how to succeed in leadership roles.

The number one criteria for success for any leader is “Has he done it in this environment before?” Frankly, it’s not even close.

The number two criteria is “How hardened is the executive staff?”, which means, how many years has the team under him, or the one he assembles, worked together? And … were they successful?

That suggests, you either hire a proven P5 coach or … hire a lesser coach who brings his entire staff with him. (Note: This is Bryan Hardin and the hemorrhoid of Boise State.)

My money is on a proven P5 guy.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
In my corporate days, I did a lot of work with the US Army and it’s leadership development teams. They have 200+years of data on how to succeed in leadership roles.

The number one criteria for success for any leader is “Has he done it in this environment before?” Frankly, it’s not even close.

The number two criteria is “How hardened is the executive staff?”, which means, how many years has the team under him, or the one he assembles, worked together? And … were they successful?

That suggests, you either hire a proven P5 coach or … hire a lesser coach who brings his entire staff with him. (Note: This is Bryan Hardin and the hemorrhoid of Boise State.)

My money is on a proven P5 guy.
What was the third most? “Have they done it before” as a predictive metric is fairly uninteresting for all the situations where there is no candidate with perfect proven experience (not just at GT football, but for anyone who ever has to hire or promote a new manager).