Young QBs

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure. Especially if we think that the coaches are in cahoots to keep the player that gives us the best chance to win on the bench.
You’re attributing the “coaches are in cahoots” theory. I’m only contending that I would like to see the younger guys get some playing time in ACC action because, to my eye, they seem to be more athletic and have better arms. I know the coaches see them in practice, but I also know that CPJ pulled Marshall for Jordan against Clemson.

Jordan is now hurt. I don’t think it’s a stretch to wonder whether one of the young guys could receive some playing time in light of Marshall’s struggles.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Well I guess your right , if the OL doesn't block put another QB that will help with the blocking.
Yes, the OL is struggling. However, even when Marshall has time to throw, he often misses players or fails to get the ball to open receivers on time. Also, he has done a poor job of making defenders commit on pitch reads. I’m not questioning Marshall’s effort, but I think these are valid criticisms.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes, the OL is struggling. However, even when Marshall has time to throw, he often misses players or fails to get the ball to open receivers on time. Also, he has done a poor job of making defenders commit on pitch reads. I’m not questioning Marshall’s effort, but I think these are valid criticisms.
Agree with this assessment. He a just a touch off.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You’re attributing the “coaches are in cahoots” theory. I’m only contending that I would like to see the younger guys get some playing time in ACC action because, to my eye, they seem to be more athletic and have better arms. I know the coaches see them in practice, but I also know that CPJ pulled Marshall for Jordan against Clemson.

Jordan is now hurt. I don’t think it’s a stretch to wonder whether one of the young guys could receive some playing time in light of Marshall’s struggles.
If we we're up big in the last few minutes, I would agree. But we weren't, so put in the player that gives us the best opportunity to win. Just like CPJ did during the Clemson game.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
... "the next QB in line"... always one of the crowd favorites when the team isn't doing well.

Well since he basically controls the whole entire offense I think it’s a pretty valid argument. One different read here or there and we are taking about a win instead of a loss

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
... "the next QB in line"... always one of the crowd favorites when the team isn't doing well.

Look what happened with Khalil Tate at Arizona. I know this is clearly the exception to the rule, but proof that this isn't an irrelevant discussion

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree, he's very good when he has the ball in his hands, but the triple has been slow developing and I think part of the is because he's indecisive of if he should pitch or keep. It's like he's never is going full speed. That also hurts blocking on the outside because it allows the defender to still make a play. He also doesn't seem like he's checking off on his routes when passing. I like TM but I think what we are seeing of him now is what CPJ saw before the season started. That's why CPJ was a little surprised in the UT game. One thing I don't doubt is the fact that he will work hard to get better.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes you need to change up your QB to see if it adds a different flavor to the offense. At this point, there is nothing to lose. I feel if Eason didn't go down in the first game and Frohm take over, that UGA would not have had a winless year so far.
i wish they were winless

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Sean 311, mj chaz, tech_wreck47, and Tech93 - you all get it! TaQuon Marshall's style of running the offense is kind of boom-or-bust and it's costing us. He's elusive and fast in the open field but reluctant to pitch to his A-backs or throw accurate passes, which limits the offense. TaQuon ripped off some long runs to give us a chance to win games against Pitt, UNC, Wake, Tennessee, and Virginia... But Marshall's bad reads, reluctance to pitch and scattershot passing bottled-up the offense and cost us Tennessee, Miami, Virginia, and yeah even Clemson.

Coach calls plays that fit his skill set but you know he didn't go into this season thinking - 'gosh it would be great to cut down the roles of my big-play guys Lynch, Searcy, and Green.' Marshall just isn't getting how to use the weapons around him.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, it wasn't until today when I was rooting against you that it hit me, but Marshall doesn't scare me. He'll make some big plays, but he doesn't operate the offense and he won't consistently make you pay for selling out against the run with his arm.

Uva had the better QB on the field, and benkert isn't that good, all imo.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sean 311, mj chaz, tech_wreck47, and Tech93 - you all get it! TaQuon Marshall's style of running the offense is kind of boom-or-bust and it's costing us. He's elusive and fast in the open field but reluctant to pitch to his A-backs or throw accurate passes, which limits the offense. TaQuon ripped off some long runs to give us a chance to win games against Pitt, UNC, Wake, Tennessee, and Virginia... But Marshall's bad reads, reluctance to pitch and scattershot passing bottled-up the offense and cost us Tennessee, Miami, Virginia, and yeah even Clemson.

Coach calls plays that fit his skill set but you know he didn't go into this season thinking - 'gosh it would be great to cut down the roles of my big-play guys Lynch, Searcy, and Green.' Marshall just isn't getting how to use the weapons around him.

I can agree with most of this except the UT loss. TM did not cost us that game. ST cost us that game.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow

Pretty accurate assessment; would like to see both JJ and LJ get some snaps; we are a 4-4 football team why not? More than likely CPJ will play it safe and won’t let it happen with $ on the line to make it to a bowl game and salvaging the season. I would rather give those guys a chance to see what they can do than go to somewhere like the San Antonio Bowl.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
We have three losses in the rain and now it somehow becomes a truism that GTs O can't play in the rain.
We scored 33 points in 21 minutes against UGA in the rain in 2008 and it wasn't a disadvantage then. Why is it now?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We have three losses in the rain and now it somehow becomes a truism that GTs O can't play in the rain.
We scored 33 points in 21 minutes against UGA in the rain in 2008 and it wasn't a disadvantage then. Why is it now?
Because we had a QB who could fumble the ball, but then chase down the guy that took and take the ball right back!!!!!!! Josh was not that deft with his offense, but he was a REAL winner!!!

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
While I am on here saying that I would like to see some of the young guys get a chance because I do believe they provide a higher ceiling, TQM looked very similar to JT against Clemson and UVA. We've got much bigger problems against Clemson than one QB. And our offense was stagnant against UVA last year outside of a few big plays.

And the Tennessee loss was certainly NOT on Marshall. He was a monster that game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, it wasn't until today when I was rooting against you that it hit me, but Marshall doesn't scare me. He'll make some big plays, but he doesn't operate the offense and he won't consistently make you pay for selling out against the run with his arm.

Uva had the better QB on the field, and benkert isn't that good, all imo.

How many give/keep misreads and bad throws ( with time to throw) did Marshall have yesterday?