Young QBs

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Come on dude.... lol the last thing you want to do is run in some freshman to get destroyed with the way our o-line is blocking. TaQuon isn’t doing bad. He had 143 yards rushing. You can blame the pitch all you want but the pitch wasn’t there. They played sound D and took away the pitch. They just outplayed Tech. That doesn’t call for a QB switch.

Can we just sub in a new coach then? Cause it’s been a decade. I’m over CPJ

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there is a chance we will see somebody else at QB, but then hard to know because we don't see practice and really know what the other guys can do. Marshall is a hard read. He does some real dynamic things with the ball in his hands. Very fast, slippery on middle runs and occasional good pass. But his passing mechanics are not good - winds up and many times doesn't get his feet set properly. I don't know what to say about the lack of outside threat. It looks like to me that generally we are outflanked for the pitch. Is that the defense keying on that, or are we too slow getting out there, poor outside blocking - not sure. However, you don't change Qb's to a freshman when you have a chance to go 5-3, get a bowl and not out of conference race as was the case yesterday. Thoughts may change now for CPJ since little to lose. It might be time to try one of the freshmen if they have shown in practice the poise to run the offense. Clearly some passing threat would help.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. I don't know what to say about the lack of outside threat. It looks like to me that generally we are outflanked for the pitch. Is that the defense keying on that, or are we too slow getting out there, poor outside blocking - not sure. .

I, too, have wondered about the disappearance of the perimeter game and our A-backs. It appears that there are no longer the numbers advantage that we used to see on the outside. Both the QB AND the A-back seem to be accounted for almost always. Would love to hear from our X's and O's guys on differences in performance from this year to last. Is it OL play? JT vs. TM? ARE defenses doing things differently because it appears that way to the untrained eye. It seems like teams are forcing us to beat them with the long drives with the BBack and QB runs. The BBack and QB are getting their yards but it doesn't seem to soften the perimeter this year for the pitch.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I, too, have wondered about the disappearance of the perimeter game and our A-backs. It appears that there are no longer the numbers advantage that we used to see on the outside. Both the QB AND the A-back seem to be accounted for almost always. Would love to hear from our X's and O's guys on differences in performance from this year to last. Is it OL play? JT vs. TM? ARE defenses doing things differently because it appears that way to the untrained eye. It seems like teams are forcing us to beat them with the long drives with the BBack and QB runs. The BBack and QB are getting their yards but it doesn't seem to soften the perimeter this year for the pitch.
I'm no X's and O's guy , but if the OL don't get to the 2nd level the outside game will not work. How many times have we seen 4 or 5 guys waiting on us as we try to go outside?
( just the way I see it )
IMO if the QB would cut up off tackle on the 3O it would help slow down the defense going outside. Something if you look at the early games we seem to do.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm no X's and O's guy , but if the OL don't get to the 2nd level the outside game will not work. How many times have we seen 4 or 5 guys waiting on us as we try to go outside?
( just the way I see it )
IMO if the QB would cut up off tackle on the 3O it would help slow down the defense going outside. Something if you look at the early games we seem to do.

OK...sounds plausible. The next question is, since most of our OL played last year, are defenses doing things to prevent them from getting to the 2nd level? If so, how does CPJ counter that strategy?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
OK...sounds plausible. The next question is, since most of our OL played last year, are defenses doing things to prevent them from getting to the 2nd level? If so, how does CPJ counter that strategy?
great questions wish I knew the answer. some DL are holding our OL from getting to the 2nd Level. I'm no coach just a fat drunk but if it was me are the LB's are going to the outside I would try a pass over the middle about 5 yards off the LOS.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
great questions wish I knew the answer. some DL are holding our OL from getting to the 2nd Level. I'm no coach just a fat drunk but if it was me are the LB's are going to the outside I would try a pass over the middle about 5 yards off the LOS.

You mean that quick, stand up slant to the TE?? Man, that would be killer! Oh wait, nevermind....;););)

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm telling y'all it's the quarterback. Not the blocking, not what the defenses are giving us, not the plays. TQM is just afraid to pitch the ball outside. That's my favorite part of our offense so I've been missing it since the Tennessee game.

Now don't get me wrong - game plan must be a part of it. CPJ may have seen in practice that Marshall's pitches are a turnover waiting to happen, so he's calling more QB keepers & counters that play to his strengths. But the outside options are still there on a lot of plays and TaQuon just won't pull the trigger.

As for defense, Mark Richt said himself that his plan was to stop the dive and make us run outside. His rationale was that if you get a team going east-west that's half the battle. What he kept to himself is he knew if they force TaQuon outside he'll almost always keep it and get contained on the slick field.

And to those blaming our O-line, doubtful. In 10 years of CPJ the A-backs and pitches outside have never been shut down before like this season. So is that because this is the worst O-Line we've had in 10 years? Nah of course not. The only thing unique about this year is the boom-or-bust style of our wicked-fast keep-it QB

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And to those blaming our O-line, doubtful. In 10 years of CPJ the A-backs and pitches outside have never been shut down before like this season. So is that because this is the worst O-Line we've had in 10 years? Nah of course not. The only thing unique about this year is the boom-or-bust style of our wicked-fast keep-it QB
Go back and look at the past Clemson and VT games and almost any game in 2015. Yes he may not pitch it as much but he is a first year player. Also why pitch it with 4 defensive players waiting on the QB and a-back ? Look I like all our OL players but if you can watch and tell me that our QB is to option off 4 or 5 players unblocked than it's must be an option I don't know.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have seen us get to 2nd level and then miss the block. They don't chip the DL so they shoot the gap and in the backfield. We don't have option numbers on the edge so just keep for short gains.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We don't have option numbers on the edge so just keep for short gains.

This we all agree to be true. And unique (or more noticeable) this year. One poster attributes to a new QB who is afraid to pitch. Another suggested the DL is holding our OL so we aren't getting to the second level. You suggest we are getting there but missing the blocks. Why do you think this is happening with a fairly experienced OL? i am just trying to figure out how to fix what most (if not all) of us are seeing as being different this year.

Of course, I know some will counter with 35+ points should be enough to win a fb game. That may be true...but that is a different topic.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
just want a passing game to go with the running game. Show me the QB who can be steady in the pocket, MAKE GOOD READS on BOTH passes and runs, and I want that guy to play for us.

Care far less about the breakaway speed. Put the kid with breakaway speed at running back somewhere.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
just want a passing game to go with the running game. Show me the QB who can be steady in the pocket, MAKE GOOD READS on BOTH passes and runs, and I want that guy to play for us.

Then you'll be waiting until our coach decides he wants to have an actual, developed passing game.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Then you'll be waiting until our coach decides he wants to have an actual, developed passing game.
It doesn't have to be much more than we have installed, but it could certainly be executed better. Without trying, I counted a handful of wide open receivers that we didn't hit. One was a pick where the other two were wide open.

As a result, D's aren't afraid to roll safeties to the alley. if you run 80% of the time and only complete 40% of passes, there is really no reason to respect the pass with safety help.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No reason to respect the pass so far this year. We have hit a few big ones but not enough to respect the pass. Our QB is usually running for his life so hard to complete long throws. Amazing we haven't had more int's. Where are the wheel routes to lynch.