Young QBs

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This may have already been written, so excuse me if I'm repeating. I don't have the patience to sift through 5 pages of comments...

Anyhow, regarding Taquan Marshall: He's actually a decent passer, WHEN conditions are perfect. I think he struggles more than the typical QB does in the rain because he can't grip the ball adequately when it's overly wet. I also think it affects how he pitches the ball as well. You can tell by the way the ball leaves his hands that it slips before he can complete his passing motion. Taquan is probably about 5'9-5'10, and he probably has average hand size for that height...which is a height that's short for your typical college QB. Some footballs actually have a little better grip if it's slightly wet due to the rubbing compound that's put on the leather. That's why you see some QBs lick their hands before they take the snap. But when it's raining like it was against Clemson and UVA, the ball becomes a slippery...overly so if you have small hands. The same applies to pitching the ball.

I think our offense has been operating with one hand tied behind its back in the rain because of this. If you wonder why the NFL values hand size in their QB, weather conditions are a BIG reason why. The same will happen when it's really hold...the ball becomes harder to grip, though in the cold you can negate it by wearing WR gloves to throw the ball. You can't wear WR glove in the rain because it actually becomes more slippery.

When we have to play in wet conditions, I really think CPJ should go to a 2 QB system, because if we have to pass GT will be in a lot of trouble because Taquan will struggle to grip the ball passing and pitching it. I think DCs are becoming aware of this and they are loading the box. We're not a strong passing team on a normal basis, but if your QB can't even deliver the ball or struggles pitching the ball, then you are REALLY tilting things in favor of the defense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Two notes:

1. Cottrell is fine as a KO returner. I think it's a matter of time before he houses one.
2. No one is more popular than the back-up QB.

Edited to add a third note:

3. I'd actually like to see Cottrell as a punt returner as well. I like Stewarts hands, but I think Cottrell is the more dynamic playmaker.

J_Trouche

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like to see Jay Jones play. he's already burnt his red shirt and we are 4-4. may as well invest in the future at this point. or Lucas johnson.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Y'all do remember how everyone after the first few games was singing his praise how good Taquon was playing QB ? Do we need to start another QB , I for one don't think we do, Do we need to play another QB for a couple of series in a game ? Yes it can help and give time for CPJ to talk to Taquon about what is going on in the game. ( things like why he kept the ball and did not pitch what did he see ) But with CPJ calling plays this could be a problem, yes I know he could wait till the defense is on the field. But could he not stand by CPJ hear the play and see how their defense is reacting to our plays ?

I like CPJ and want him to stay as long as he would like to stay. I also like Taquon , we just need to remember this is his first season at QB.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd really like to see Lucas get a couple series going forward.
I'd like to see all of them get a couple series going forward. How does CPJ do that, I don't know. We know what MJ and TM can do well as where they are deficient, but LJ and JJ are relatively unknowns. For all we know, either guy could come in and blow the doors off, but they are probably more likely to make Freshmen mistakes.

This season is salvageable, but it's an uphill battle at this point. The time to see what the youngsters could do was probably Jax St, UNC, and Pitt. Not VT and UGA. But if we're willing to accept the possibility of not bowling, I say go for it and let JJ and LJ play.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see all of them get a couple series going forward. How does CPJ do that, I don't know. We know what MJ and TM can do well as where they are deficient, but LJ and JJ are relatively unknowns. For all we know, either guy could come in and blow the doors off, but they are probably more likely to make Freshmen mistakes.

This season is salvageable, but it's an uphill battle at this point. The time to see what the youngsters could do was probably Jax St, UNC, and Pitt. Not VT and UGA. But if we're willing to accept the possibility of not bowling, I say go for it and let JJ and LJ play.
Yes it would have been nice to see them get in a few plays in those games. My guess here is CPJ wanted TQM to get as much playing time because he is a first year QB . I guess it's damn if you do and damn if you don't. All I remember CPJ saying is JJ was the better athlete and he would make some big plays ( be it for us or the other team ) .

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Several of the posters here seem to have extensive knowledge of CPJ's tenure at GaSo. Just curious to know what the QB transitions were like during Paul's tenure there. Was it "plug and play" or was there a period of adjustment and transition from one to another? Was it such that GaSo had the other pieces in place (D,ST) to smooth out the transition and make it less painful?
CPJ had two QBs at GaSO as a head coach from '97-'01, Greg Hill and JR Revere. In Revere's first year they won a National Championship coming off the '99 National Championship led by Greg Hill.

CPJ did a great job getting Revere ready, but Revere had more playing time in previous years than TQM has had, and CPJ had turned GaSo into Bama/Clemson of the FCS by that time.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
CPJ had two QBs at GaSO as a head coach from '97-'01, Greg Hill and JR Revere. In Revere's first year they won a National Championship coming off the '99 National Championship led by Greg Hill.

CPJ did a great job getting Revere ready, but Revere had more playing time in previous years than TQM has had, and CPJ had turned GaSo into Bama/Clemson of the FCS by that time.
That's what PJ can do with equal or better talent. They beat the hell out of people back them, although they would lose one or two games before the option got churning.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He's averaging 21 yards/return. Our opponents are averaging 24.8. Looks to me if he's getting every yard he can given the opponent's # is inflated a bit by a 92 KO for a TD. A returner can't do s**t without a little blocking ahead of him.

Two things: Nate needs to explode (not plod forward) the first 15 yards and then look for his opening and place to cut. When he gets into the traffic he seems to be seeking a place to not take the big hit and possibly fumble (this is likely a coaching issue with all the turnover emphasis with our backs). I agree he sees very little blocking compared to other KO returners. Time for Jarrett or Gantt IMO.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This may have already been written, so excuse me if I'm repeating. I don't have the patience to sift through 5 pages of comments...

Anyhow, regarding Taquan Marshall: He's actually a decent passer, WHEN conditions are perfect. I think he struggles more than the typical QB does in the rain because he can't grip the ball adequately when it's overly wet. I also think it affects how he pitches the ball as well. You can tell by the way the ball leaves his hands that it slips before he can complete his passing motion. Taquan is probably about 5'9-5'10, and he probably has average hand size for that height...which is a height that's short for your typical college QB. Some footballs actually have a little better grip if it's slightly wet due to the rubbing compound that's put on the leather. That's why you see some QBs lick their hands before they take the snap. But when it's raining like it was against Clemson and UVA, the ball becomes a slippery...overly so if you have small hands. The same applies to pitching the ball.

I think our offense has been operating with one hand tied behind its back in the rain because of this. If you wonder why the NFL values hand size in their QB, weather conditions are a BIG reason why. The same will happen when it's really hold...the ball becomes harder to grip, though in the cold you can negate it by wearing WR gloves to throw the ball. You can't wear WR glove in the rain because it actually becomes more slippery.

When we have to play in wet conditions, I really think CPJ should go to a 2 QB system, because if we have to pass GT will be in a lot of trouble because Taquan will struggle to grip the ball passing and pitching it. I think DCs are becoming aware of this and they are loading the box. We're not a strong passing team on a normal basis, but if your QB can't even deliver the ball or struggles pitching the ball, then you are REALLY tilting things in favor of the defense.

Slippery turf hurts Marshall in the run game as well. He relies on speed, quicks, and cuts, and slippery turf takes away those skills. Bigger, stronger north/south runners do better in the rain.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
He's averaging 21 yards/return. Our opponents are averaging 24.8. Looks to me if he's getting every yard he can given the opponent's # is inflated a bit by a 92 KO for a TD. A returner can't do s**t without a little blocking ahead of him.
The problem with the opponents averaging 24.8 is that, given our kickers leg strength, they start every drive beyond their own 35.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yes it would have been nice to see them get in a few plays in those games. My guess here is CPJ wanted TQM to get as much playing time because he is a first year QB . I guess it's damn if you do and damn if you don't. All I remember CPJ saying is JJ was the better athlete and he would make some big plays ( be it for us or the other team ) .

Imo, If the offense struggles again like the last 3 games they should each be given a series and see if they can provide a spark.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Two notes:

1. Cottrell is fine as a KO returner. I think it's a matter of time before he houses one.
2. No one is more popular than the back-up QB.

Edited to add a third note:

3. I'd actually like to see Cottrell as a punt returner as well. I like Stewarts hands, but I think Cottrell is the more dynamic playmaker.
Disagree about Cottrell, he doesn't cut up field at full speed and at times it looks like he slows up when he's getting hit. Now, he can take one to the house but I think it will have to be really really good blocking where he doesn't have to cut much, he needs to just run. How many times has he even taken the ball past the 30 yard line? Don't get me wrong he's fast, but returning the ball is more than just speed.