You guys know we won the game today, right?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not only did we win, but I have to say what a treat it was getting to finally meet @flea77 before the game. We had a nice extended visit along with Mrs. CPJ on the sidewalk. It was fun hearing your appreciation for what a unique, special opportunity we offer here. You guys get GT!

Actually it was True Freshman, True Freshman, Redshirt SR, True Soph and True Jr starting on the OL today. With Shamire and Eason getting a lot of snaps. Klock got a couple even though he really needs another week to be full speed. If we can keep this group together it has a chance to be pretty special.
I really like the ol rotation we are getting in place. We have played some very young guys but game is slowing down for them. we can go quicker if the dl is not clemson and we can go bigger for passing.
Before I forget- sure looked like Will stoned his guy on the Long bb run. Quick off snap, pads low , butt up a clear spot for bb to cut. I wonder if will is actually getting bigger as season progresses. We have young guys like the Morgan twins and Cooper who are game size ready now.
Once Baylor started getting big butted ol the skill guys came. With the added talent we are getting on dl the competition at practices will look more like game conditions. imo this has been an issue in 12 13 and 14 (except Jabari ).

Flea is right ol is close to being very good.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure the final score was GT 38 Duke 35. Why all the complaining? Many of you guys are acting like we lost today. I know there are still some issues but lets celebrate and be happy we won and didn't lose to damn Duke 3 years in a row.
5-3 is better than 4-4, just sayin.

Any win, no matter how, is a good thing. It was a good day all around beating Duke is always good especially since they are coached by Cutliff. UGA losing was the cherry on top. The OP did see the game I presume? It was not the best example of winning football hence Coach Johnson appearing to be upset. The defense is terrible. We really miss PJ and Mills. The silver lining is an ever improving offensive line and the splendid performance by mighty mite JT and ever reliable Clinton Lynch. Next week comes a major test. UNC is going to go up and down the field on us unless Coach Roof can put together a game plan to at least slow them down. I see no way to get pressure on their quarterback and we still have defensive back issues that appear insurmountable. This could get ugly.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
UNC is going to go up and down the field on us unless Coach Roof can put together a game plan to at least slow them down. I see no way to get pressure on their quarterback and we still have defensive back issues that appear insurmountable. This could get ugly.

Our LBs, Nickel DBs, and Safeties better get their assignments straight this Saturday. Ryan Switzer, probably the premier slot WR in college football is going to carve us up if our guys don't communicate. Hopefully we can get some pressure on the QB and cut down his time to pick us apart.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Our LBs, Nickel DBs, and Safeties better get their assignments straight this Saturday. Ryan Switzer, probably the premier slot WR in college football is going to carve us up if our guys don't communicate. Hopefully we can get some pressure on the QB and cut down his time to pick us apart.
The problem is, who to put on him? He is fast and his acceleration coming out of his cuts is ridiculous. Can we cover him? Can we get pressure on the QB and stop the running game? Will the "eye candy" cute stuff mess with our focus and assignments? I don't think we can win a shoot out with them. What I would like to see is drive after drive pounding them, controlling the clock and limit their possessions to 4 or fewer each half.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The problem is, who to put on him? He is fast and his acceleration coming out of his cuts is ridiculous. Can we cover him? Can we get pressure on the QB and stop the running game? Will the "eye candy" cute stuff mess with our focus and assignments? I don't think we can win a shoot out with them. What I would like to see is drive after drive pounding them, controlling the clock and limit their possessions to 4 or fewer each half.

What we did with VT in 2009 is probably the best game plan for the type of offense UNC has. VT had a pretty good offense QB'd by Tyrod Taylor (Bills starting QB now). That was the infamous Cam Chancellor game. We were able to dominate possession (23 minutes to their 13), and I think we threw like 4 passes, only 1 of which was completed. It was one of the best games called by CPJ. Perfectly paced, and seemed to make the exact call we needed at the right time.

Regarding Switzer, it's not going to be just one guy. The way their slots play, they'll crisscross multiple zones so our LBs and DBs have to communicate extremely well when passing him off. Not sure we've man marked any one player all year so I don't think Roof will start with UNC and Switzer.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
If we let Switzer loose at the line of scrimmage in the slot without attempting to slow him up: he will have 200+ yards. Sadly, we almost never put someone up on the slot (or TE for that matter) at the line and bump them. The free release at the line is another reason we rarely get to the QB - they usually have a wide open short pass. If we bump and they burn us deep, so be it. Otherwise they 7-9 yds a play all day long, with an occasional missed tackle leading to a 20-30 yd gain. Playing 9 yards off the slot on 3rd and less than 10 yards is a big reason we are DEAD last in 3rd down D. They play pitch and catch and we can all see it coming before the play is run.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
BC lost, vanderbilt lost , gsu lost, Duke lost . Maybe mercer won?
As a long time tech fan, I know we tech guys like to see the team's THAT WE DO BEAT have winning records.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... menawhile UGA has driven down the field after UK tied it up and has a chance to kick a FG to win. Talk about rubbing salt in a wound for GT fans.

Milwaukee

Banned
OK, so I guess folk now understand why some of us were upset by our D vs Duke.

And Southern, and BC, and Vandy.

The D is bad, we get it. You've been trolling since the season opener, don't try to act like Duke made you turn some sort of corner.

We're still waiting on overall D rankings, not your ppd crap or anything else. Just give us the facts that aren't skewed to your agenda. What is Techs overall D ranking?

Fyi: see below regarding stat guy