You guys know we won the game today, right?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need to face the new normal. We are a blind squirrel D who will occasionally find a nut. From here on, we just have to expect to score a TD every possession and hope opp O make more mistakes. Fortunately, vpi is the only decent D left.

I don't believe this is the "new" normal. It's been happening for too long now to be considered "new".

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've been saying to my son, a yuuuge Tech fan, that for the rest of the year all I want is 1 point wins. I don't care about all this "dominance" stuff; this is football, not an S/M relationship. All I want to do is win; next year nobody will care what the scores were.

Of course, I wouldn't turn down making the Dwags cry like they were little girls …

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not complaining about the win, just many of us saw a lead blown that should have never been blown in the first place
It's why you shouldn't assume any game of any sport is over at any time until the rules say it's over. Right now Chicago is down 3-1 in the WS and I promise you Cleveland doesn't think it's over.

(And as an unrelated aside, I wonder if Georgia is having second thoughts about Richt? Yeah, I know, I know. Bulldogs never even have the first thought, but ...)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just sitting here and reading through all the whining after a WIN. For grins I looked at a few other games from the weekend and see teams giving up 458 yards (chokies), 624 yards (TX), 477 yards (Wyoming), 570 yards (Awbarn), 449 yards (Clem's son) and 618 years (S. FL). Know what each of these has in common from the weekend????? They all WON!

No, I'm not happy with CTRs defense, not in the least.
But understand rules have been liberalized in favor of the offense for years and (unless you're AL) holding decent teams under 400 plus yards and 24 points on a consistent basis is getting rarer and rarer.

Milwaukee

Banned
Miserable people will continue to be miserable. I just wish they'd venture back over to Stingtalk and be miserable, because this board is getting less and less enjoyable because of them. But I think that's their goal, to be honest.

They are pissed because Duke didn't beat us, so we all have to dig through their crap rhetoric now in order to navigate the forums. Pisses me off.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Miserable people will continue to be miserable. I just wish they'd venture back over to Stingtalk and be miserable, because this board is getting less and less enjoyable because of them. But I think that's their goal, to be honest.

They are pissed because Duke didn't beat us, so we all have to dig through their crap rhetoric now in order to navigate the forums. Pisses me off.

Dude it's like 4-5 people. Open their profile, hit ignore user, no more wading through.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Yes, indeed we did win. That is the goal.

If Budisnowiser Peterson had any leadership qualities at all, he would cancel classes until at least Wednesday. And he would also forbid the GT players from traveling to N.C. and being exposed to all the hatred and bigotry there. Won't somebody please think of the young S/As?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder how much of the last two weeks angst has to do with the teams being Georgia Southern and Duke? I cant' say the defense didn't suck in both. Miami and Duke are comparable this year. But Duke still caries an aura of weak football about them. It might take a decade to change that. If yesterday's opponent had been Miami, would we still be as negative?

What would bring us back together, I think, would be to beat someone we are not favored over. North Carolina would do nicely.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm probably in the minority here, but I loved watching our defense today.

Corey Griffin is my surprise player of the year. Dude lays the wood. AJ Gray looks great. I can't tell if Brant Mitchell is bad at pass coverage or were running a zone scheme that leaves everyone wide open & it's not his fault, but apart from that, his run support looked really good later in the game. Henderson (DT) got a few pressures early. Simmons is a superstar talent. Curry was flying around on special teams. Saint Amour got a sack I believe. Terrell Lewis catches my eye every now and then.

We've got a lot of really good players on Defense. That's something to be excited about.

JeT had an incredible game. Marshall is fast AF. Juene & Brad Stewart are really solid WRs. I know Mills didn't play, but he is special. Runs like an NFL back. always gets 3 more yards than seems possible. Clinton Lynch is a beast. Lynn Griffin ran hard today. . . we started 2 true freshman and 1 RS freshman on the O-Line today.

Also, Butker's kicks are like OCD-euphoria. the ball just spirals so perfectly. he's got a heck of a leg & seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Also, we beat the worst, most intolerable collection of people after 2 years of insufferable loses.

i'm happy with it.
Actually it was True Freshman, True Freshman, Redshirt SR, True Soph and True Jr starting on the OL today. With Shamire and Eason getting a lot of snaps. Klock got a couple even though he really needs another week to be full speed. If we can keep this group together it has a chance to be pretty special.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually it was True Freshman, True Freshman, Redshirt SR, True Soph and True Jr starting on the OL today. With Shamire and Eason getting a lot of snaps. Klock got a couple even though he really needs another week to be full speed. If we can keep this group together it has a chance to be pretty special.

I stand corrected, good sir. I guess subconsciously, I want your son to have this year + 3 more years of eligibility. How's he liking guard compared to tackle?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Not sure where this should go if anywhere, but I was almsot thrilled (I didn't get that tingle down my leg, though) to see Johnson scrap altogether that business of signaling in plays from the sideline. Took forever to run the offense, and when the other teams saw what was happening they took their time sending in subs and lining up so I don't see it had much effect. I like it much better running them in. Nobody has commented, either, on Sutcliffe actually being right. He said GT had a lot of speed, and he saw it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So don't get me wrong...I'm thrilled we won the game, and Justin put on one of the best individual performances I've ever seen watching Tech football...I get that it's really hard to win, and that's why I really love every one of them.

...but this surrendering of 20+ point leads thing has got to stop. We've done this far too many times in the last few years:

2016 Duke, 2015 UNC, 2014 Georgia Southern, 2013 Georgia. I know we only lost two of those, but we surrendered the lead in every one of those games.

...and 2012 Miami was +17

This happened once in over 100 years of Tech football before Johnson got here, yet we seem to be making a habit of it. It's strange too, because you'd think the way we're supposed to be able to control the ball that this shouldn't happen. I think it really highlights the issues we have on the defensive side of the ball. We flat out hemorrhage points to other teams at times...we need to get that under control.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We flat out hemorrhage points to other teams at times...we need to get that under control.

I agree. I felt great early in the game, but then began cringing over the prospect of a 4th quarter collapse.

I wonder if GTAA simply said, "You WILL use Ted Roof as your DC, like it or not." Paul did not sound happy on the post-game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Posted this in another thread, but thought it fits here too. MAJOR area that needs to get fixed.
"Duke converted eight of 13 third downs, increasing Tech’s defensive third-down conversion rate to 50.9 percent, last in FBS."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I felt great early in the game, but then began cringing over the prospect of a 4th quarter collapse.

I wonder if GTAA simply said, "You WILL use Ted Roof as your DC, like it or not." Paul did not sound happy on the post-game.
What an interesting thought. You would expect some help picking your third dc.
Could be he "knew" picking roof would allow him to ask for more support staff. Wonder if we got waggoner in recruiting at that time?
I was very approving of roof pick as I thought it meant a return of black watch and a rejection of al ×××× and bend forever defense. roof is a tech man