Yet another CPJ vs CGC thread

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
How many “high-end” players are needed?
Great question.

Enough to force an opponent to make a special effort to deal with said players. Enough to make plays that good players simply don’t make that change the outcome of the game.

More than zero. In the ACC probably a minimum of two on the field every play.

How many does GT have now. Don’t know as we have lots of new players. A couple of players might step up. We should know by game 3 or 4.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This may be the wrong thread, so the mods may relocate it.

I am in Norway sightseeing and visiting friends. In a quirky moment yesterday I saw someone I assumed to be a tourist wearing a GT cap and stopped him to chat. He lives in Oslo! He asked me what I thought about coach Key and I said I am optimistic. He concurred. He added that Collins was a bad choice to follow Johnson, but wondered if anyone could have been successful with that transition. I have had that same thought during these past few seasons in spite of wanting Collins gone. Am I the only one?
You are posting on the wrong board. For some reason, not based on fact, a huge percentage on this board believe that Paul Johnson was great and left the program in great shape. The facts don't support that view, nor do the majority of posters on some other boards.

However, your view is correct. Few of the offensive skills of the option translate to the offenses every FBS team uses. Further, 8 defensive starters from Johnson's last team graduated--and his defenses were not good even with a clock burning offense that kept them rested on the sidelines. The December signing date meant that Collins could not bring in recruits with the proper skill sets his first year (like on OL, which was the biggest need, and they were able to sign no one). Then COVID hit, which hurt recruiting.

To your point, Collins wasn't the right guy, but who could have done significantly better with the available talent? Johnson's recruiting was never good and got worse toward the end. When he lost his starting QB and saw that the cupboard was bare on D, he said I think I'll retire now. Kelly Quinlan made the point in an interview this week that Johnson's OL wasn't good the last two years-- even for his offense.

Johnson walked into the most talented team ever at Tech. He left behind one of the least talented. I said when he was hired that he would run the program into the ground. And he did.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
You are posting on the wrong board. For some reason, not based on fact, a huge percentage on this board believe that Paul Johnson was great and left the program in great shape. The facts don't support that view, nor do the majority of posters on some other boards.

However, your view is correct. Few of the offensive skills of the option translate to the offenses every FBS team uses. Further, 8 defensive starters from Johnson's last team graduated--and his defenses were not good even with a clock burning offense that kept them rested on the sidelines. The December signing date meant that Collins could not bring in recruits with the proper skill sets his first year (like on OL, which was the biggest need, and they were able to sign no one). Then COVID hit, which hurt recruiting.

To your point, Collins wasn't the right guy, but who could have done significantly better with the available talent? Johnson's recruiting was never good and got worse toward the end. When he lost his starting QB and saw that the cupboard was bare on D, he said I think I'll retire now. Kelly Quinlan made the point in an interview this week that Johnson's OL wasn't good the last two years-- even for his offense.

Johnson walked into the most talented team ever at Tech. He left behind one of the least talented. I said when he was hired that he would run the program into the ground. And he did.
I'm not sure I'd qualify playing in 2 Orange Bowls, beating u[sic]ga 3 times, and going to the ACCCG 3 times while going to bowls most years as "running the program into the ground". I'd bet a lot of P5 teams would trade their 2008-2018 with us if they could.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I'd qualify playing in 2 Orange Bowls, beating u[sic]ga 3 times, and going to the ACCCG 3 times while going to bowls most years as "running the program into the ground". I'd bet a lot of P5 teams would trade their 2008-2018 with us if they could.
CPJ gave us some great wins and great seasons. I credit him with rekindling my own flagging interest in GT football. That said, @jacketup has a point, despite overstating it. Hard to argue that CPJ left the roster better than he found it. Over his tenure, the perception of GT’s program changed, and not always for the better in the eyes of many recruits and fans. Personally, I loved that my team ran the “quirky” offense, but I can see how it was not good for the program in the long run.
I do think that the right coach could have done much better over the course of the three seasons after the transition. Perhaps not the first year, but certainly in years 2, 3, and 4.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Well, you’d think after 10-28 maybe she’d want a divorce, but in the words of Carla Bruni:

Sometimes it’s hard to be a woman
Givin’ all your love to just one man
You’ll have the bad times
And he’ll have the good times
Doing things that you don’t understand

You and I will never understand them, that’s for damn sure, but their love is enduring and shows no signs of diminishing.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Man, we have a lot of revisionists in here. When the next 20 years go by and we haven’t won a conference title or beaten UGA you guys will still be saying how bad Johnson was for GT. Y’all talk like Collins has amassed some kind of huge talent here. Have you not noticed that the media and other coaches have all picked GT to finish lower than any GT team Johnson coached even with all this supposed upgraded talent. It’s because only a very few GT fans believe the 3 stars recruited by the fraud are better than the 3 stars recruited by a Hall of Fame coach. The blinders some of you wear are just amazing.

You have obviously bought into the Collins propaganda that because we now have a bunch of bigger/fatter guys that we are somehow more talented. I’d take a Que Searcy or Clinton Lynch over any RB we have today because those guys had heart and went to battle. I believe Key will get us moving in the right direction especially in an awful conference, but Johnson went head to head with the SEC and had them whining every game. Key needs to be given a long leash because he has to rebuild this roster back to Johnson level standards when we actually went to bowl games and beat UGA. That‘s gonna take some time unless Buster can get us averaging 40 plus per game because our defense….. we’ll I won’t say it.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
"What if Gailey's recruiting was on an ongoing upward trend" is a much more interesting what-if about Johnson than any sort of comparison of Johnson/Collins is, but it's also very hard to argue that Gailey's record deserved an extension - 1 season above 9 wins, a clear decline from the previous coach, with a collection of extra-painful UGA losses and no wins against them, and basically near-0 progression for any QBs on the roster in all his years. And almost as many "if Tenuta leaves, will someone else do as well" how-much-is-it-just-scheme questions. So that just leaves "who else would have been hired at the end of 2007" and I'd put Johnson's overall record, highs and lows, against pretty much any of the other names mentioned at the time.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ gave us some great wins and great seasons. I credit him with rekindling my own flagging interest in GT football. That said, @jacketup has a point, despite overstating it. Hard to argue that CPJ left the roster better than he found it. Over his tenure, the perception of GT’s program changed, and not always for the better in the eyes of many recruits and fans. Personally, I loved that my team ran the “quirky” offense, but I can see how it was not good for the program in the long run.
I do think that the right coach could have done much better over the course of the three seasons after the transition. Perhaps not the first year, but certainly in years 2, 3, and 4.
Would you rather have had Cutcliffe and gone to one ACCCG? Or whoever else was available and willing in 2008? CPJ kept us competitive and somewhat relevant in a time where athletics funding skyrocketed and we lagged behind. Our locker room was unchanged from like the 1980s until a few years ago. Do you think a different coach would have brought in dramatically more talent between 2008 and 2018? Would you say that our talent now is that much better than it was in 2019? The only reason we bottomed out was because of an incompetent HC. If we had gone with Norvell or Satterfield or somebody, they would have been able have us at least look like an average CFB team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
"What if Gailey's recruiting was on an ongoing upward trend" is a much more interesting what-if about Johnson than any sort of comparison of Johnson/Collins is, but it's also very hard to argue that Gailey's record deserved an extension - 1 season above 9 wins, a clear decline from the previous coach, with a collection of extra-painful UGA losses and no wins against them, and basically near-0 progression for any QBs on the roster in all his years. And almost as many "if Tenuta leaves, will someone else do as well" how-much-is-it-just-scheme questions. So that just leaves "who else would have been hired at the end of 2007" and I'd put Johnson's overall record, highs and lows, against pretty much any of the other names mentioned at the time.
Whenever we rehash these arguments my biggest WHAT IF ever is what might have been if the administration had given more support to CPJ who needed much more money for recruiting staff, travel, and assistant coaches. I feel like we started getting more support after he left.

slugboy

Staff member
Whenever we rehash these arguments my biggest WHAT IF ever is what might have been if the administration had given more support to CPJ who needed much more money for recruiting staff, travel, and assistant coaches. I feel like we started getting more support after he left.
It’s a fact—the football support staff grew a lot when Collins took over, including recruiting staff. It’s something Johnson argued for his entire time here, and the money wasn’t allocated until he retired.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
The arrogance of thinking GT was too good for Johnson while falling so far behind money- and facility-wise behind everyone else is certainly something special. Nobody was writing checks big enough to justify impatience with Johnson’s results, for whatever reason. If you believe some of the stories about people wanting to burn the program down to save it? It certainly got burnt. And then it didn’t get saved.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I sit in between these two opposing viewpoints of "CPJ running the program into the ground" and the "we were AWESOME and not struggling at all at any time during CPJs tenure." CPJ, a coach I admire (present tense, he's still alive and I still admire him), was excellent for our football program for a number of years. From 2008-2014 we only finished lower than 2nd in our division once, went to a bowl every year though our bowl record wasn't very good, beat UGA twice (note the time period, I know we beat them one more time), and only had a single season where we finished below 0.500. From 2015-2018 we were much more up and down and, for some, the writing was on the wall that the NCAA and college football in general was not fond of the offensive style CPJ and a few others ran and had begun enacting rules to make it much more difficult to have success. Four of the five seasons we had with 8+ wins were in the 2008-2014 time frame while two of CPJs worst seasons were in the 2015-2018 time frame. I recognize that one of those two bad seasons was significantly impacted by injuries but I think the magnitude of the collapse with those injuries highlights that while we weren't as bad at recruiting as some might think that we had a big problem with overall quality of depth. I do think our recruiting was also not as good as it needed to be for us to get consistently back to the 7+ win level, but that's just an opinion though our recruiting on the offensive and defensive lines was not great (not saying we didn't get a few excellent players here and there on the lines rather that we struggled to get enough high level talent especially on the lines). So things weren't amazing at the end of CPJs tenure here and at the same time the program wasn't a dumpster fire either (CGC, with an assist from ADTS, lit the dumpster fire).

Compounding the problem of a major change in offensive system and identity was that CGC was completely incapable of leading anything. He became, in many ways, even more polarizing than CPJs offensive style and hopefully we will look back at his time here as the "palate cleanser" between two good meal courses (CPJ and CBK).

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Would you rather have had Cutcliffe and gone to one ACCCG? Or whoever else was available and willing in 2008? CPJ kept us competitive and somewhat relevant in a time where athletics funding skyrocketed and we lagged behind. Our locker room was unchanged from like the 1980s until a few years ago. Do you think a different coach would have brought in dramatically more talent between 2008 and 2018? Would you say that our talent now is that much better than it was in 2019? The only reason we bottomed out was because of an incompetent HC. If we had gone with Norvell or Satterfield or somebody, they would have been able have us at least look like an average CFB team.
You seem to have the impression that I regret the Johnson era. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was simply stating that as great as Johnson’s tenure at GT was, he was also, in my opinion, not good for the program in the long run. These things can both be true.

To answer your questions, no, I wouldn’t want to have had Cutcliffe rather than Johnson. I thoroughly enjoyed the Johnson era from 2008-2014 (and 2016). To be fair though, we don’t know what results Cutcliffe would have had in that time frame, and to assume he would have taken us to only one ACCCG requires some twisted logic (are we just like Duke?). Could another coach have brought in more talent? Pure speculation, but Gailey showed it can be done, and TFG’s 2020 class, with a 1st round RB, confirmed it. Key’s 2024 recruiting thus far is not too shabby either. Our current talent level is difficult to ascertain accurately since, while it looks good on paper per 247, many of our best players left, and many of those remaining apparently underperformed as a result of TFG.

I fully agree with your last two sentences.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

You are a distinct minority in your view that CPJ "ran our program into the ground".

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Johnson floundered his last couple years because the QB he recruited and was depending on got injured in an ATV accident and never stepped foot on campus. So we had to go with a guy who wasn’t recruited at that position. It happens and happened to Key when our starter quit the team halfway thru the season.

Listen, there are reasons for everything, but the results ultimately reveal the truth. I hope GT wins every game every year. But I also know we won’t and that right now we are on very dangerous ground. GT fans have become very spoiled since 1990. We have been fortunate to have had several incredible coaches run our program which has given us a taste of the upper tier level while paying bargain bin prices. O’Leary and Johnson have given GT wins and top tier rankings that most teams never taste. Gailey kept us in the mix and brought us Calvin which single-handedly kept us relevant.

We are now firmly in the territory of possibly becoming just another mid level program that never tastes the upper tier. Look at programs like NC State, UVA, Minnesota, Illinois, UNC, BC, Pitt, Maryland, Missouri, South Carolina, etc who do nothing decade after decade. We have now completed 6 straight years of wandering in the wilderness with nothing to show but a shrinking fanbase. Key is a critical person for the future of GT football. Do we blink and have another 4 years go by of nothingness or do Cabrera’s words become action. I’m very worried, but all we can do is have blind fan faith in Key.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Nothing bc you had large group of people(coaches & recruits) that said no to the program even
before giving it a chance bc of the style of offense and the negative connotations that came with it in prepping for the next level. No money or Coach was changing that