Yellow Jackets 2020 Class

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'll comment again when we get to the final signing. This looks like a pretty good class, but it's like Paul used to say, "They all come highly recommended." We'll know for sure in a couple of years.

One thing mentioned above should be keep in mind: transfers aren't included in the ratings. Personally, I think this is a flaw and needs to be addressed. How to address it might be a problem, but there it is. Tech already has some players on campus who transferred in and has more on the way. They might make a world of difference right away, yet they aren't included. This made sense under the old transfer rules, but it doesn't now.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll comment again when we get to the final signing. This looks like a pretty good class, but it's like Paul used to say, "They all come highly recommended." We'll know for sure in a couple of years.

One thing mentioned above should be keep in mind: transfers aren't included in the ratings. Personally, I think this is a flaw and needs to be addressed. How to address it might be a problem, but there it is. Tech already has some players on campus who transferred in and has more on the way. They might make a world of difference right away, yet they aren't included. This made sense under the old transfer rules, but it doesn't now.

Interesting point. Take the National Championship game for example. Transfers make a huge impact. And I agree with you that the transfers already on campus will have an impact on the upcoming year.

Recruiting rankings become less important as more kids enter the transfer portal. For the rankings to stay meaningful, they need to include transfers and a way to rank their college stars.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I think with the addition of Cochran and Gibbs we will finish 6-6 (at minimum)
Bowl bound for the Military bowl or Quick Lane.

This team will turn heads and not stomachs this year.

I'm starting to sense a shift in paradigm for this program and I, for one am glad to say this administration has proven me wrong in them being able to reel in the big fish after hooking them.

bos

Helluva Engineer

I'm starting to sense a shift in paradigm for this program and I, for one am glad to say this administration has proven me wrong in them being able to reel in the big fish after hooking them.

I would love 6-6, but that's a stretch. GT has one of the toughest schedules in all of football. This class is good, but they are freshman. Team will be improved no doubt.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I would love 6-6, but that's a stretch. GT has one of the toughest schedules in all of football. This class is good, but they are freshman. Team will be improved no doubt.
I agree with 6 or more wins, anything less insinuates a coaching problem somewhere in my opinion, whether it's OC, DC, or HC. And this isn't solely on our current class rating. I'm thinking we have Ezzard and Brown receiving, and either a more experienced Graham or another QB with better accuracy, 2 grad xfer lineman with experience, Clayton on our defensive end, and a pretty damn good DB group. So 6 should be within grasp.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I agree with 6 or more wins, anything less insinuates a coaching problem somewhere in my opinion, whether it's OC, DC, or HC. And this isn't solely on our current class rating. I'm thinking we have Ezzard and Brown receiving, and either a more experienced Graham or another QB with better accuracy, 2 grad xfer lineman with experience, Clayton on our defensive end, and a pretty damn good DB group. So 6 should be within grasp.
6 should be within grasp, but I just don’t see how less than 6 is automatically a coaching problem. I said on another post that the transfers will provide a ton of help, but a lot of the talent on the team is still very young. A lot of guys will also be coming off injuries that held them out for either the entirety of last season, or a portion of it. There will definitely be some rust to knock off. I expect play to pick up a bunch on the back end of the schedule. Tech will still have a very young QB (regardless of who it is), an OL that has played 0 games together, and youth all over the field. I also said on another post that year 3 is where most of the on-field improvements come to light during a coaching change. Not winning 6 games shouldn’t automatically be considered a failure this year. I still think 4-5 wins is where Tech will end up in 2020, and 7-9 in 2021.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just a reminder that next season will see a lot of rotation especially at QB and WR. And the OLine is TBD. We are on the only path that works which is recruiting but it’s going to take another class of 25 to have a full roster of contributors. The win total will come down to turnovers and making plays in the 4th quarter. I’m not worried about wins or losses yet. I just want to see another season of buy in by the players and improved QB play.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Just a reminder that next season will see a lot of rotation especially at QB and WR. And the OLine is TBD. We are on the only path that works which is recruiting but it’s going to take another class of 25 to have a full roster of contributors. The win total will come down to turnovers and making plays in the 4th quarter. I’m not worried about wins or losses yet. I just want to see another season of buy in by the players and improved QB play.
With 3 Former SEC players on the OL and a top recruiting class in years if the Coaches & the OC thinks a rotation is what is best for the team moving forward than we do not have a talent issue we have a COACHING (LACK OF ISSUE)

After watching Coach Collins on video after signing teh class it would appear that he thinks we will be back to being Bowl Bound.... He has high standards!!

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at the 247 Team Talent Rankings from 2019, Tech ranked 45th - Average player rating of 84.76. (The total rankings track the averages closely but not exactly.)

2020 Rankings aren't posted, but I did a quick excel sheet of our projected roster*.

By my reckoning, we'll have an average rating of 85.99. Which would have been (in 2019) around 30th (Michigan St was at 31st with an 85.96 and similar 'star' #s).

Obviously, the incoming freshmen are freshmen and may not contribute right away next year. But, our talent level (at least according to ratings) is improving dramatically. We're moving up from being closest to Duke and Pitt to closest to VT and UNC (Per 2019 #s - all those teams will be moving up/down in 2020 as well, obviously). TIFWIW

*Removed seniors, announced departures and my best guesses at departures. Then adding in the incoming class and transfers. Normally I'd post my work, but I don't want to 'call out' any players I think might leave.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the 247 Team Talent Rankings from 2019, Tech ranked 45th - Average player rating of 84.76. (The total rankings track the averages closely but not exactly.)

2020 Rankings aren't posted, but I did a quick excel sheet of our projected roster*.

By my reckoning, we'll have an average rating of 85.99. Which would have been (in 2019) around 30th (Michigan St was at 31st with an 85.96 and similar 'star' #s).

Obviously, the incoming freshmen are freshmen and may not contribute right away next year. But, our talent level (at least according to ratings) is improving dramatically. We're moving up from being closest to Duke and Pitt to closest to VT and UNC (Per 2019 #s - all those teams will be moving up/down in 2020 as well, obviously). TIFWIW

*Removed seniors, announced departures and my best guesses at departures. Then adding in the incoming class and transfers. Normally I'd post my work, but I don't want to 'call out' any players I think might leave.

Thanks! I think that's a lot more realistic calculation of our talent level. Honestly the only reason to think we won't be at least bowl bound is the unusually though schedule for us. I still think we will be headed to a bowl. There are a lot of variables, and even with large improvements you can still lose close games, but the differences between last year and this are big. I also think we are likely to find at least one more transfer. And we're only going to take good ones.

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan

That’s a pretty good graphic. Looks like Tech just edged out Clemson for the jump in 2020? Also showcases the stark contrast of how much regular season schedules affect a team’s potential year in and year out. Tech draws two the the top five upper right teams every single year, where someone like Miami draws nothing of the sort most years. And holy cow, how long can USC keep this up before firing Helton... that is a monumental collapse.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
With better recruiting classes comes higher expectations, right? Just curious if the two should correlate.
Yes... once recruiting classes are old enough to provide significant playing time. There’s no real reason to adjust expectations this year when the majority of the freshman class will be redshirted. But over a 4 year period with recruiting classes that average in the top 25, I think finishing the season in the top 25 should be the expectation.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer

The Quick Lane Bowl is no longer connected to the ACC