Ye olde coachinge debates

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I believe Jaybo was a Johnson recruit. If memory serves it was a late flip from Memphis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was, and he went down to GSU only because Monken got the job and needed a QB. (otherwise he would have probably been there in 2010 when nesbitt got hurt)

The reality of it is CPJ was able to sell Nesbitt dwyer and Thomas to stay when the coaching change happened and Collins went to bama. They easily could have as we have seen when other schools change schemes transfered to any number of schools. Used a redshirt year ( as they all played i think as true freshman in 07) and been fine.

For the same reason Collins has done a great job keeping this last recruiting class together through transition

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ross only coached 5 years. He had two really bad years to start. Johnson still rebuilt for 2014 and did fine. 2015 was abnormal as hell and don't care what head coach you have that kills any team. 2016 was a rebound. The last two years yeah they had a problem and its why he retired rather than drag on. He wasn't going anywhere otherwise. (hell we beat USF and Pitt last year he probably doesn't retire.)

Though you are bringing up a head coaching record into something talking about X's and O's.

Also curry had one good year at 9-2-1 the next year back to 5-5-1 and then ross had to fix his mess. So what you just set can't be true. Either curry left the program in a good state and ross did not inherit a mess and go 2-9 with it. Or curry did not leave the program in a better state and ross inherited a mess.

edited out the question to just make the clear point

Good question about Coach Curry. Ross said that had he known the shape the program was in, he would not have come to Georgia Tech. Pretty much a damning indictment of Coach Curry. On the other hand, the situation facing Coach Curry at the beginning of his tenure was the absolute worst of any coaches since Coach Dodd left in 1966. We were a laughingstock with an administration wanting to "deemphasize football". Coach Curry deserves at least some accolades for taking on an almost impossible task and literally raising a program from the dead.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Good question about Coach Curry. Ross said that had he known the shape the program was in, he would not have come to Georgia Tech. Pretty much a damning indictment of Coach Curry. On the other hand, the situation facing Coach Curry at the beginning of his tenure was the absolute worst of any coaches since Coach Dodd left in 1966. We were a laughingstock with an administration wanting to "deemphasize football". Coach Curry deserves at least some accolades for taking on an almost impossible task and literally raising a program from the dead.

It's almost like every single coach ever has faced some problems off the field at GT.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You can't deny that he wasn't a great HC.
3 wins in Athens
1 Acc Championship
3 coastal Championships
3 wins vs Fsu
2 Orange bowls
2 11 win seasons
How many other coaches besides Dodd, Ross, and Heisman accomplished what CPJ accomplished?

Not many that I can recall but it was time to move on. In south Georgia we have a saying: sooner or later it is time for the old dog to get on the porch and let the young pups run the yard. Coach Johnson had the wisdom to recognize that time unlike Coach Bowden and Coach Beemer who probably hung on too long to the long term detriment of their respective programs at FSU and Virginia Tech.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It's almost like every single coach ever has faced some problems off the field at GT.

Even Coach Dodd had to kick one of his most talented running backs off the team during the 1950s. It happens and yes to my knowledge every Tech coach has been bedeviled by one off the field problem of one kind or another. Seems like Chan and Coach Johnson probably had fewer real problems than most but I really don't know. Bud Carson and Pepper had what seemed like unending locker room controversies., Maybe that sort of thing is the norm for all college programs. Tech's off field drama is small potatoes compared to Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, and many others.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Even Coach Dodd had to kick one of his most talented running backs off the team during the 1950s. It happens and yes to my knowledge every Tech coach has been bedeviled by one off the field problem of one kind or another. Seems like Chan and Coach Johnson probably had fewer real problems than most but I really don't know. Bud Carson and Pepper had what seemed like unending locker room controversies., Maybe that sort of thing is the norm for all college programs. Tech's off field drama is small potatoes compared to Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, and many others.

Player drama is one thing.

But it seems like our coaches are always fighting the Hill. and in Johnson's case the AD. (I'm sure Gailey had some AD issues with blaine too).

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I hate people who say "he did it with the old coach's players". He still did it. Who gives a crap if they were chan's recruits. He still won. Thats all that matters. He did something that the previous staff could't do with the same players.

The best part of it is those exact same people will give Paul Johnson zero credit for any early successes Geoff Collins has (and to be clear here, I give way more credit to the coach who gets the wins than the one who brought the players in...old coach just gets the assist). In fact they’re already laying the groundwork for that exact argument by talking about how the cupboard is bare and basically crapping all over the current roster. It’s amazing watching it play out.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Player drama is one thing.

But it seems like our coaches are always fighting the Hill. and in Johnson's case the AD. (I'm sure Gailey had some AD issues with blaine too).

We will never know, but I do not doubt for a moment that Coach Gailey had issues with Braine as did a lot of people. I am not privy to insider information but I would like to know who the people in the know really think was the worst AD in recent memory? Was it Braine with his neglect? Was it DRad with his indecision and sometimes lack of focus? Was it none of the above and we got about what we deserved. Beats me, but I am pretty sure that both Coach Gailey and Coach Johnson had contentious relationships with ADs during their tenure. A situation that a true football factory can take in stride but extremely detrimental to a program like ours with such a small margin for error.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Geez, this thread is all over the place with so much hyperbole, obfuscation, strawmen, and shifting goal posts that I don't even know what's the original point(s?).

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing this term "hate for CGC", and I have not seen any. I have seen those who are skeptical, which I will say includes me. But, he is my coach, and I am excited to see what he can do in the next 3-4 years with this "changed culture" he is attempting to create at GT.

If he does not produce on the field, at some point, there will be some people who begin to "hate", but he is our coach, and he is working his butt off outside the lines, and hopefully he will be a great game day coach as well. If he recruits well and overachieves with the talent he is able to get (still will never be the top 10 level recruiting of factories), he will be a great coach for the Institute. I am rooting for him, and any true GT fan is doing the same.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow.... a bunch of you guys have too much time on your hands if this thread is what you care about.

Bring on next season!

Have you ever listened to sports talk radio? Topics like this are the norm, esp. in the offseason, which we're now firmly in the middle of!

I don't understand the necessity to pop into a thread you don't "care about" and basically insult all its participants. What I do for those threads is to just ignore them and let the posters have their fun. It's a GT football message board and this is a GT football topic. It's no less relevant than topics on Uniforms or Proper Shades of Gold.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Have you ever listened to sports talk radio? Topics like this are the norm, esp. in the offseason, which we're now firmly in the middle of!

I don't understand the necessity to pop into a thread you don't "care about" and basically insult all its participants. What I do for those threads is to just ignore them and let the posters have their fun. It's a GT football message board and this is a GT football topic. It's no less relevant than topics on Uniforms or Proper Shades of Gold.

I think it is an interesting debate and I am glad the mods made a separate thread for it and are letting people have at it.

The best part of it is those exact same people will give Paul Johnson zero credit for any early successes Geoff Collins has (and to be clear here, I give way more credit to the coach who gets the wins than the one who brought the players in...old coach just gets the assist). In fact they’re already laying the groundwork for that exact argument by talking about how the cupboard is bare and basically crapping all over the current roster. It’s amazing watching it play out.
I haven't seen or read any negative comments about our roster since the hire. Please show an example. Only negative comments have come Paula's camp. All I've read is who will be the qb, center and other position questions. So please show me the ground work that has been laid.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
PREACH.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm still upset and pissed off after the 1901 season and going 4-0-1 we let Coach John Mckee go.

After our season was complete, the guy turned traitor and became an assistant coach for uga as they prepared for their game against Auburn. No way we let him back on the flats after that. Just get over it man :)

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I'm still upset and pissed off after the 1901 season and going 4-0-1 we let Coach John Mckee go.
What about Coach Mac McWhorter? He was undefeated during his tenure as head coach but not retained after the 2001 season!!! (It must be the jinx of the ‘01 seasons. We’ll find out in 82 more years).