Ye olde coachinge debates

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I liked CPJ as much as anyone but see no reason why we can't like CPJ and also like CGC . All I want to see is Tech win. I still think we have a lot better season this year then most think, looks like the players are working hard
I didn’t live far from Statesboro. With equal or better talent than the opposition, whoa Nellie. The problem was not the coaching.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Ross and Curry had better records their last 2 years than their first two years. Both walked into a mess, although for different reasons. They both left things better than they found them.

Johnson's record his last 2 years was worse--by far--than his first 2 years. You can't say he left things better than he found them.

I could debate this all night, but the bottom line is that looking at his whole body of work, Johnson was a mediocre head coach.
53-53 FBS over the last 9 years. There is nothing else to debate.

Ross walked into a disaster and won a natty inside of 4 years. Johnson walked into the highest-ranked recruiting class (ever?) in memory and didn't win a single bowl game with it.

A .500 FBS record over the last 9 years accurately sums up his tenure here: Some great moments and some awful moments.

It's too early to judge how he left the program.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you, Stech. I don’t get this CPJ vs CGC battle going in, and the constant mindless accusations of “if you don’t agree with me then you must like Coach XYZ more than GT”. I could start a thread that said nothing more than “Good morning” and the CPJ haters would accuse me of saying mornings under CGC will be good but not the afternoons and the CGC haters would accuse me of stating that mornings under CPJ must not have been good. I like and appreciate both and would rather spend my time pulling for GT than rehashing tired old biases.

CPJ dissension is understandable since he was our HC for 11 years but CGC hatred makes no sense - the guy hasn't coached a single game for us yet!

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
Ross walked into a disaster and won a natty inside of 4 years. Johnson walked into the highest-ranked recruiting class (ever?) in memory and didn't win a single bowl game with it.

A .500 FBS record over the last 9 years accurately sums up his tenure here: Some great moments and some awful moments.

It's too early to judge how he left the program.
You can't deny that he wasn't a great HC.
3 wins in Athens
1 Acc Championship
3 coastal Championships
3 wins vs Fsu
2 Orange bowls
2 11 win seasons
How many other coaches besides Dodd, Ross, and Heisman accomplished what CPJ accomplished?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
3 wins in Athens
1 Acc Championship
3 coastal Championships
3 wins vs Fsu
2 Orange bowls
2 11 win seasons
How many other coaches besides Dodd, Ross, and Heisman accomplished what CPJ accomplished?

I put him in the top 3 HCs since I became a fan in the early 80s. Ross, GOL, PJ are my top 3.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
3 wins in Athens
1 Acc Championship
3 coastal Championships
3 wins vs Fsu
2 Orange bowls
2 11 win seasons
If you will fix the double negative and change great to good, I will agree with you.

3 wins in Athens
1 Acc Championship
3 coastal Championships
3 wins vs Fsu
2 Orange bowls
2 11 win seasons
He's the only coach we've had since bowl series started. He's what we're going to set the standard against? I believe Collins will do better than little Johnson. Collins in some perspective is partly responsible for little Johnson's early success.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
He's the only coach we've had since bowl series started. He's what we're going to set the standard against? I believe Collins will do better than little Johnson. Collins in some perspective is partly responsible for little Johnson's early success.
How about three wins in Athens? How many coaches since Dodd accomplished that?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
How about three wins in Athens? How many coaches since Dodd accomplished that?

those were nice but have to be balanced against the horror shows of 2009 and 2013. PJ actually had a chance to be 50-60% vs the mutts, which would've been amazing. Instead, he won 30%, which is nice compared to Gailey but is still 30%. That's great when trying to hit a baseball but I've not seen any other fanbase try to elevate a 30% success rate as much as some of our fans do.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
those were nice but have to be balanced against the horror shows of 2009 and 2013. PJ actually had a chance to be 50-60% vs the mutts, which would've been amazing. Instead, he won 30%, which is nice compared to Gailey but is still 30%. That's great when trying to hit a baseball but I've not seen any other fanbase try to elevate a 30% success rate as much as some of our fans do.
I agree. We had some pretty bad losses in games that we should have won. However, what he accomplished was stuff that hadn't been done in a long time here. Like beating ugag three times in Athens.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. We had some pretty bad losses in games that we should have won. However, what he accomplished was stuff that hadn't been done in a long time here. Like beating ugag three times in Athens.

Agreed - he definitely had some great moments. I don't think the bad moments negate those but when I look at his tenure, it's a sum of all the moments IMO.