WSB Trashing TECH RECRUITING

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Really there is no excuse for being this poor in recruiting.
Metro Atlanta is ranked 3rd in high school football talent producing D1 prospects.
The state of Georgia only trails California, Texas, & the border state Florida.
GT is offering 4 & 5 * talent.

These types of classes would get coaches fired. I'm not knocking the kids either.
There is just no excuse for this level of poor recruiting. It's not calculus, The Hill, STEM, or otherwise.

I don't know if its arrogance or ineptness. Either way this is poor.
Here's to a ridiculous level of player development, cause that's what gonna be needed.
Calculus. I know you refuse to admit it, but it's true. And don't play the "Stanford" card, because they literally have a major for EVERYONE. You may not like it, because it doesn't fit your narrative, but it's true. Your refusal to deal with it doesn't make it less so.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
How many of you grew up as Tech fans? There aren't that many in Georgia, especially in small towns. The path of least resistance and most acceptance is that other school. It is no wonder that we have trouble as kids grow up want to play for their team and, like it or not, that ain't us in the vast majority of cases. Until that changes, and I really don't see how it will given the media coverage, this is where we are likely to be, for the most part. It is a real and built in disadvantage that we have to overcome and it has been that way for a LONG time. We can get the kids who grew up in homes that place a real emphasis on education, ala AJ Gray, but otherwise it is an uphill battle. And that pool of talent is a shallow one.

The first four words I learned as a child were "To Hell with Georgia" My father, Textile Engineering class of 1950 would make my sisters and me stand up for Ramblin Wreck like it was the national anthem. Recruiting disadvantages? I have learned, recent comments notwithstanding, to embrace who we are. Get who we can, redshirt them, develop them and run that damn bone.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Don't say that too loudly around here...you'll get a bunch historical charts, someone saying something about STEM majors (nevermind 90% of our SAs don't have STEM majors), lack of enough liberal arts majors, APR, the Ratio, Russell uniforms, jocks not wanting to do the school work, GT being in SEC country, Stanford stealing all the good recruits with academic credentials, Duke has majors to hide their SAs in, kids growing up brain washed by all the UGA fans, GT only has a 55,000 seat stadium, the Varsity gives you the poops, the uniform isn't the right shade of gold, too much traffic during rush hour, and so on...

Yep! I think that about covers it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Northwestern actually had a good season.
Purdue, well it's Purdue.

Ummm neither one sits in the middle of a Top 3 football Metropolis in a Top 4 state for recruiting.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
OK. Let me see.
Colorado State & Western Michigan should not be out recruiting GT !!!!
That's BS.

I swear with some of y'all CPJ could poop in your dinner basket and you'd make an excuse as to why it don't taste great.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 29

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
They shouldn't be but those rankings are based on overall points. The larger the class the better. Should look at it by average stars.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
Bottom line: I wouldn't give a crap if we recruited all 1*s if we won on the field. In fact, wouldn't it be cool if we won 10 games a year and only took kids with perfect SATs who were all physics or engineering majors with high moral character? Beat the sh$t out of uga and then slap them upside the head with our slide rules?

But we don't win consistently on the field (well I guess we win 7 a year pretty damn consistently - but that doesn't cut it for me) and are nowhere near winning 10 a year consistently so let's talk recruiting. I like our players. Great kids who are good football players. But we can do way better. There is no excuse. Yeah, I get the academics, the hill, lack of majors, and high school offense arguments (excuses). We can debate that ad nauseam. Bottom line: we absolutely should be doing better. I get steamed listening to the idiots on 680, wsb, etc., blast us on everything. Ironically, on recruiting, even though they have no idea what the hell they are talking about, they are right on the big picture: we should be doing better. Even with the academics, the hill, the lack of majors, and our niche offense.

Side note: I am on the fence with cpj but I do believe the offense is a factor in our inability to recruit better.

So... My point is, if we win consistently we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But we don't so we are.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I've read with interest the numerous post on here. I don't disagree with a lot of what I've read but I've not seen any specific solutions. Do we have the money to increase recruiting staff and increase the amount of travel? To me this is the most reasonable means of helping recruiting. Use of social media has been lagging but I do see some signs of this picking up. Does anyone here think the coaches are not w0rking had enough? Do they have issues identifying those SAs needed?

I don't buy for one second that the offensive scheme is a hindrance with rare exception such a a pro style QB not having an interest. I'd like to how for our Coaches to improve securing commitment from the high end quality of the recruiting pool.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OK. Let me see.
That's BS.

I swear with some of y'all CPJ could poop in your dinner basket and you'd make an excuse as to why it don't taste great.
As long as we keep it classy is the main thing.

herb

Helluva Engineer
There has been a lot Of good discussion, but as oldjacketfan said, what should be done? If it is true that we have been lagging in social media, why? That should be in our wheelhouse ( the use of technology, that is, not necessarily the social part ;). That should be an easy fix. Is the next step more staff? I know we have gotten more, but how do our numbers compare elsewhere?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
OK. Let me see.
That's BS.

It's quite obvious you have zero idea how recruiting rankings work. Your overall score is based off of points - a multiplier is attached to each star level for each player, which is then added up to get a total number of "points". Those are sorted and subsequently each team is ranked. By this logic, if you sign 7 more players than another team, your chances of having more points than them are pretty good. If you care about recruiting rankings, look at the average stars - this gives a better indication of quality of a class. By this method, we are ranked 59th, Colorado State 72nd, and Western Michigan 79th.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't buy for one second that the offensive scheme is a hindrance with rare exception such a a pro style QB not having an interest. I'd like to how for our Coaches to improve securing commitment from the high end quality of the recruiting pool.

The mythology is out there and every opposing recruiter uses it against us. WRs won't get many balls thrown to them and we have a limited route tree. OLs never pass protect so they have to learn that to get to the next level. And they only know how to cut not drive block. QB limitation is obvious. D players only practice against 3O and get cut all the time in every practice. I have even heard discussion about RBs being disadvantaged because of the formations and having to learn the pro sets.

Whether or not this is true or not is besides the point (for the record I think this is all bs. A player is a player and will shine at any level). It is used against us and it does sway some recruits therefore it is a factor.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK. Let me see.
That's BS.

Each of those schools took 25, 7 more than us. They are not getting better talent. Also, I'm still waiting for you to make the case that Brashear and Camp deserve their 2 star rankings, despite how high they were on our board.

Now if you notice, none of my response referred to CPJ. It's not about defending him. Fwiw, I agree that we can do better recruiting, but I disagree with the notion that the systemic challenges of GT aren't real or that none of our guys are ranked lower than they would be if they went to bama or georgie.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The mythology is out there and every opposing recruiter uses it against us. WRs won't get many balls thrown to them and we have a limited route tree. OLs never pass protect so they have to learn that to get to the next level. And they only know how to cut not drive block. QB limitation is obvious. D players only practice against 3O and get cut all the time in every practice. I have even heard discussion about RBs being disadvantaged because of the formations and having to learn the pro sets.

Whether or not this is true or not is besides the point (for the record I think this is all bs. A player is a player and will shine at any level). It is used against us and it does sway some recruits therefore it is a factor.

If it the solo thing that a recruit relies on to make his choice, is he a good fit for Tech anyway? In my opinion this issue is way overblown but I certainly understand what you're saying.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think every person on here is in agreement that we all feel we could be landing 1-5 more bigger named players a year.

For those just moaning that we are really screwing the pooch go read what Jordan Woods said about our recruiting. That shows you the strategy right there that our coaches use. Give some specifics. What are they missing? What needs to be addressed?

We found Luca Johnson (the most exciting player to me of this class) by looking on a national scale. That makes it obvious that we do that so that's not a huge point to me.

As I tell all my students. "If you make a claim you better be able to back it with some evidence. I'll believe an alien abducted you if you give me good enough evidence."

To me the evidence shows our coaches are doing every suggestion I've read here. So does it comes down to "they just need to do it better!" Or is there something else that's obvious to you they need to do?

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

We could use traditional methods but that could take years and cost many lives. We've proved that doing things like everyone else doesn't produce consistent recruiting results any better and puts us at a schematic disadvantage. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.