WSB Trashing TECH RECRUITING

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, i heard a CPJ soundbyte tonight where he talked about how he saw a stat that only 44% of players ranked 4 or 5 stars in high school ever start a game in college....
Far be it from me to challenge something I know nothing about, though I read that an abnormal number of blue chippers played little in college. But that sounds something like trying to cite statistics that cannot be verified. But what the heck, since it fits my narrative about the whole situation, then 44% it is.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Really there is no excuse for being this poor in recruiting.
Metro Atlanta is ranked 3rd in high school football talent producing D1 prospects.
The state of Georgia only trails California, Texas, & the border state Florida.
GT is offering 4 & 5 * talent.

These types of classes would get coaches fired. I'm not knocking the kids either.
There is just no excuse for this level of poor recruiting. It's not calculus, The Hill, STEM, or otherwise.

I don't know if its arrogance or ineptness. Either way this is poor.
Here's to a ridiculous level of player development, cause that's what gonna be needed.

I think most of the people here most upset about our recruiting just don't get it. And I'm not being critical because I didn't either until recently. I've become much more familiar with the scene in public schools recently. This is not a CPJ, Sewak, Roof, or even Gailey problem. This is a 60 year problem. Go into any high school in Georgia and take a look around. Lots n lots n lots of red and black with stupid Gs on em. Then go talk to some kids. The number that would consider Tech....very small.

Now drill deeper. Go talk to some athletes being recruited. UGA is typically #1. Backup / fall back plans....mostly include FL schools, Aubie, Clem, or some other SEC. The fact that Tech sways any is probably due to some real hard work.

Drill deeper still. How many can pass at Tech? I don't know that number but it is a helluva lot smaller pool than it is for our rivals.

I talked with a Jr. OT prospect in Gwinnett recently. Folks at his school swear he will be better than the EJ kid from Archer. I didn't see either kid play so I don't know about that. Eyeball test? I'd give it to EJ. This kid wasn't a bad kid. But he'd never put GT in his top 6. And trust me when I say that's ok....very very unlikely the kid could pass the hill and if he did there's no way he'd pass classes if he did. Basket weaving at SEC?....sure with some hand holding.

Our disadvantages are real. The 60 year one is probably the biggest. Can that ever change? Yeah I think so. But it will take a run like Oregon had for a while there. Even then it will be hard to sustain.

Milwaukee

Banned
I think most of the people here most upset about our recruiting just don't get it. And I'm not being critical because I didn't either until recently. I've become much more familiar with the scene in public schools recently. This is not a CPJ, Sewak, Roof, or even Gailey problem. This is a 60 year problem. Go into any high school in Georgia and take a look around. Lots n lots n lots of red and black with stupid Gs on em. Then go talk to some kids. The number that would consider Tech....very small.

Now drill deeper. Go talk to some athletes being recruited. UGA is typically #1. Backup / fall back plans....mostly include FL schools, Aubie, Clem, or some other SEC. The fact that Tech sways any is probably due to some real hard work.

Drill deeper still. How many can pass at Tech? I don't know that number but it is a helluva lot smaller pool than it is for our rivals.

I talked with a Jr. OT prospect in Gwinnett recently. Folks at his school swear he will be better than the EJ kid from Archer. I didn't see either kid play so I don't know about that. Eyeball test? I'd give it to EJ. This kid wasn't a bad kid. But he'd never put GT in his top 6. And trust me when I say that's ok....very very unlikely the kid could pass the hill and if he did there's no way he'd pass classes if he did. Basket weaving at SEC?....sure with some hand holding.

Our disadvantages are real. The 60 year one is probably the biggest. Can that ever change? Yeah I think so. But it will take a run like Oregon had for a while there. Even then it will be hard to sustain.

You are 100% correct about the state. That's why, as someone mentioned earlier, we should be putting a much larger emphasis on national recruiting rather than in state. We are a top academic institute - in the state of Georgia. Doesn't bode well. We are a national brand, always have been. The Georgia school system is horrible so we should look elsewhere as often as possible. Basically, we should do exactly what Notre Dame does (minus the 18 wheelers) as far as their national approach.

Their are always outliers, however.

And we also could use more resources $$$ to help our staff. Notre Dame pockets are on another level, but I'm using them as an example because of their national footprint.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You are 100% correct about the state. That's why, as someone mentioned earlier, we should be putting a much larger emphasis on national recruiting rather than in state. We are a top academic institute - in the state of Georgia. Doesn't bode well. We are a national brand, always have been. The Georgia school system is horrible so we should look elsewhere as often as possible. Basically, we should do exactly what Notre Dame does (minus the 18 wheelers) as far as their national approach.

Their are always outliers, however.

And we also could use more resources $$$ to help our staff. Notre Dame pockets are on another level, but I'm using them as an example because of their national footprint.
Stanford and gt are only schools that have super high academics and are good football programs. Academic entrance requirement s for Stanford is higher than tech but we have restricted course selection. They recruit nationally because they are not where recruits live. We need to expand to cover more area to find recruits

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Stanford and gt are only schools that have super high academics and are good football programs. Academic entrance requirement s for Stanford is higher than tech but we have restricted course selection. They recruit nationally because they are not where recruits live. We need to expand to cover more area to find recruits

Stanford has no minimum academic requirements for admissions.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

This has long been my read on the situation also. Lots of anecdotal evidence to go along with this. It takes a really unusual kid to buck the peer pressure and envision something bigger than the limits of his culture. The few who do envision something bigger either find Tech or they get out of SEC country.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That's why, as someone mentioned earlier, we should be putting a much larger emphasis on national recruiting rather than in state. We are a top academic institute - in the state of Georgia. Doesn't bode well. We are a national brand, always have been. The Georgia school system is horrible so we should look elsewhere as often as possible. Basically, we should do exactly what Notre Dame does (minus the 18 wheelers) as far as their national approach.
I agree but, unlike certain political candidates who act like something is easily done, it is important to see that there are obstacles to this approach. Stanford attracts academically minded students from all over the country because it resides within a state that is known for academics. Tech, unfortunately, resides in a state that is often the butt of jokes in other states when it comes to academics. It does not matter whether this is fair or not, it is a strong perception which makes national recruiting something of a challenge.

Notre Dame has the advantage of having a national farm system with Catholic parochial schools as well as approximately 40 million active recruiters nation-wide. Both Stanford and Notre Dame have strong national brands.

I would like for things to change for Tech in national recruiting but the challenges are real. Yes, more money would help fund a whole lot more cross country plane trips by recruiters to visit in homes and high school stadiums. Right now Tech has to consider whether personal contact with a recruit a thousand miles away is even cost effective.

Milwaukee

Banned
I agree but, unlike certain political candidates who act like something is easily done, it is important to see that there are obstacles to this approach. Stanford attracts academically minded students from all over the country because it resides within a state that is known for academics. Tech, unfortunately, resides in a state that is often the butt of jokes in other states when it comes to academics. It does not matter whether this is fair or not, it is a strong perception which makes national recruiting something of a challenge.

Notre Dame has the advantage of having a national farm system with Catholic parochial schools as well as approximately 40 million active recruiters nation-wide. Both Stanford and Notre Dame have strong national brands.

I would like for things to change for Tech in national recruiting but the challenges are real. Yes, more money would help fund a whole lot more cross country plane trips by recruiters to visit in homes and high school stadiums. Right now Tech has to consider whether personal contact with a recruit a thousand miles away is even cost effective.

Great post Stinger. Co-sign.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

Very well said!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Stanford has no minimum academic requirements for admissions.

Technically, this is true. Every university makes this statement and it is true for every one of them. What they are saying there is no artificial cut-off where they automatically reject your application if you score below "x". No university does that, because if you are the next Chopin or Mozart or Gaugin they will make an exception for you, no matter your test scores.

In practice, every school has scores as a litmus test, and if you score below certain range you had better be the next Mozart before they will look at you seriously. Being a 5 star WR is not quite the same as being the next Mozart, no matter what some fans might think.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
People are citing our team ranking in the recruiting discussions (#68 on Rivals) yet if you watch the film and look at measureables please tell me how 2-star recruits Camp, Branch, Brashear, Hawking-Anderson, and Cooper (bigger than Klock with Klock-like film) are not 3-star recruits.

I like Lee's and Kerr's film as well but they are clearly project type kids who will need to develop, so 2-star seems appropriate.

I won't argue that the services ID the 5-star guys that stick out like sore thumbs. They also get a lot the 4-stars right. But when it comes down to distinguishing a 3 from a 2 don't believe what the services tell you. Seriously, go to hudl, check out the measureables and make a case for why the guys I cite above wouldn't be 3-star.

Since we graduate our guys and have small classes it's more appropriate to rank by stars/recruit. Guess what? If you give the 5 guys I mentioned above 3 stars as would be reasonable, then at 2.94 stars per recruit we come in at 40th, or 28 spots higher than where we currently sit.

Before you respond go watch the film and then watch some 2-star film and consider measureables and tell me if I'm not right.