WSB Trashing TECH RECRUITING

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The comparison of "factory" program recruiting is not the comparison of interest... The comparison of Dukes relative recuiting successes is deflating and disturbing...and has been manifesting in their maddening streak of success over us...

Yup, we are falling backwards in the HS talent (where talent is high school performance vis a vis bigger, stronger, faster, more agile).

While UGAg had the typical SEC class (9th by total points and 7th by average stars), we had a much weaker class (66th by total points and 53rd by average stars). So to be competitive we would have to develop what we have much better. But that big of disparity isn't usually overcome, as seen by our recent record against UGAg.

Duke ain't no Fluke now. They are also recruiting better and have been .... 33rd by total stars and 29th by average stars. And their out recruiting is also more bothersome to me since that is a better comparison of relative difficulties in school's recruiting.

(Scout data http://www.scout.com/college/georgia-tech/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=14&yr=2016 )

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
After reminding myself who we did get, looking at their film, thinking about our needs, and thinking about how they project into our school and system I think it's a solid class.

WR and DL were biggest needs and we got good film, size, and speed there. Very solid IMO.

QB prospects look dynamic and L. Johnson has a strong arm and a quick release. Exciting guy who has height to see over defenses.

Gantt and Mills are good looking RBs with the versatility to play defense.

Brashear's film at LB is terrific. Stud. Bridges was highly sought after though I didnt see exactly why from film.

OL was an area where the jury is out. Braun is blue chip. Lee and the big mobile kid kid whose name I cant recall we will have to see. Weak point in the class.

I am ver high on Cole at S and Iowa had been after him pretty hard apparently. Runs and hits. Kerr at CB has size and can flip his hips and run and he'll hit you. Is raw though.

No, it's not a step up from last year but it's better than many proceding years when the film looked dubious. I'd put it at Johnson's 2nd or third best class.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, our recruiting has trailed off... I know the CPJ die-hards will be in full force to defend the system and the man. But that is the truth, GT is well on its way to being more of a Boston College, Wake Forest type of program than a Clemson or Florida State in Football.

It is what it is, but my spending on GT games and apparel has nose dived over Johnson's tenure. Good luck to all the SA's, very proud that they have chosen Tech

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid that the facts are what they are in regard to recruiting. Those who try to deny those facts are...wrong. However, it is also quite true that the recruiting rankings and ratings are generally overstated. But generally overstated is NOT the same as being meaningless. Our results on the field against UGa do prove that the recruiting wars DO matter. The fact that we are not blown out every year proves they are over-emphasized...but they DO matter.

How the kids do once they get on campus is critical. One can build strength and conditioning, and one can teach techniques. I honestly think you have to recruit speed and that you have to recruit (as best you can) heart. What our rankings tell me is that we are not getting the speed we need to be at an elite level. The heart can only be seen over time, as it will lead to the improvements in strength, conditioning and technique....or not. I believe we have done a good job in the heart department (by and large) but it seems pretty clear to me that we haven't in the speed department. (Not elite level speed...enough speed to win 7 games? Sure...enough to win 12 and have a difference maker against FSU, ND, Clemson? No.)

The media is just reporting the truth AND playing to where the money is (the listeners). UGa outnumbers us badly in fan base, and until GT administration gets serious about making some changes (which I don't think they WANT to do) they always will, so I fail to understand why anyone complains about the media locally. If you were managing the local media, you'd be an idiot to tell them to stop their UGa love fest. The BEST we could ever hope for is a Dawg-free niche on some smaller station.

There is no such thing as "journalism" in sports reporting, and frankly not in most of the news media. And there really never has been...just some media who make an attempt at the appearance of true journalism.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
To his credit and the players themselves, this seems to be a common thread down through the years about Coach Johnson's teams. They don't quit even when no one would really blame them such as the end of last year. Such character has not always been the case. FWIW
Michael Summers might disagree with that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There is no such thing as "journalism" in sports reporting, and frankly not in most of the news media. And there really never has been...just some media who make an attempt at the appearance of true journalism.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Journalism does not seem to be what it was for sure, but nothing is. And yep, my catty-cornered cul-de-sac neighbor (a former editor) once explained sports reporting to me when I complained about something in the local paper: "There is a reason they are called 'sportswriters' and not 'sports reporters'." That being said I think this "sucking up to the biggest fan base" is way overblown. Their news judgment may be bad, but it still is in play. As I have said before, if Tech wants the ink -- like it got last year for instance -- then it should win. The way it did last year for instance. Not exactly calculus.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, our recruiting has trailed off... I know the CPJ die-hards will be in full force to defend the system and the man. But that is the truth, GT is well on its way to being more of a Boston College, Wake Forest type of program than a Clemson or Florida State in Football.

It is what it is, but my spending on GT games and apparel has nose dived over Johnson's tenure. Good luck to all the SA's, very proud that they have chosen Tech
So you were more financially invested during the Gailey years? If so, I think that speaks to more of a personal lifestyle change than the actual product on the field. I'm just gonna assume that you've never really been a CPJ fan and he'll never do anything to change your mind.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So you were more financially invested during the Gailey years? If so, I think that speaks to more of a personal lifestyle change than the actual product on the field. I'm just gonna assume that you've never really been a CPJ fan and he'll never do anything to change your mind.

The Gailey years were the only time I seriously considered dropping my season tickets. I may have grimace din pain last year and gotten to where i could not watch, but I considered last year an anomaly. The Gailey years were frustrating beyond words to me.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
my opinion is this class as a whole unit is no better or worse than the last two

my opinion is the last three classes in total are better than pauls first 3-4

my opinion is pauls last three classes are closer to what Gailey did (despite rankings, don't believe rankings) and what I mean by that more NFL potential and bodies. Gaileys classes had really good evaluation and growth/development. Sure he missed some, but there was more top talent on his roster than pauls (just look at the 2006 roster).

my opinion is Paul can still do better in recruiting; but hasn't both with numbers and quality. We still have assistant coaches that just don't compete well on the the trails with the better programs. Part of this is a Tech issue, part is Paul is loyal to a fault. But our program support depth is ACC and SEC weak by comparison.

my opinion is despite pauls last 3 being his best 3 in a row; he and tech IS losing ground in the talent war to our main competition, moreso than in the past. And programs that were never a challenge are now passing us. This is concerning, but also a school issue as much as anything.

my opinion is, at tech, you better get used to this because this school ain't changing, it stubborn on a huge level, and as fans this is "on average" the best we can do....I got 15 years of 'modern' data to suggest it. But, we can still do better of talent evaluation and growth.

my opinion is our president looks more like a puppet than a good administrator; and our athletic board looks more like a academic board than a athletic board.

my opinion is if we ran the NCAA offense we would win 5 games a year on average with our overall talent level Paul has in the program. Ok maybe 6; but if you simply just changed our O and left Roof as DC we win 4, 5 a year...occasional 6 or 7. We look more like NC State.

quit simply, we are a 7-6 program. Simply 15 years...says so....the fact we have flashes in the pan like 2014 are unreal miracles and credit to everyone working hard. Because this program, with this overall talent should not see years like that. But we do. So kudos!!!! It has as much to do with the overall character of our kids as anything. And that is nice to see.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

The GT won/loss record since 1966 is 302 - 257 - 8. BC and WF type numbers. GT has not been a "Clemson or Florida State in Football" since 1951 through 1956, 59 - 7 - 3.
The program has won 8 or more games 13 times since 1966. The winning percentages for the last 4 coaches (Ross - Johnson ) are 53%, 59%, 58% and 60%.

Unless academics change the won - loss record will not change. And the academics ain't gonna change!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Really there is no excuse for being this poor in recruiting.
Metro Atlanta is ranked 3rd in high school football talent producing D1 prospects.
The state of Georgia only trails California, Texas, & the border state Florida.
GT is offering 4 & 5 * talent.

These types of classes would get coaches fired. I'm not knocking the kids either.
There is just no excuse for this level of poor recruiting. It's not calculus, The Hill, STEM, or otherwise.

I don't know if its arrogance or ineptness. Either way this is poor.
Here's to a ridiculous level of player development, cause that's what gonna be needed.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a Tech fan because I want to be and they go about it the right way as far as am concerned... like Brent said in the Orange Bowl so many years ago (2014) Folks these are real student athletes....... we are not uga or fsu or clemson.. but its sweet when we beat em .... and we have beaten each of them once in the last two years.......last year was disappointing........ sh_t happens ....get on board and support or sign somewhere else and as far as WSB goes use the power given to you as a consumer don't listen to them...

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Steak from 680 had a lengthy segment trashing CPJ and GT Football and Basketball just now. It is incredible how much of an idiot he, and those two loons next to him are. Ok, we ranked #59 in recruiting, but how do we know that the rankings are not suspect? Do we even know how the SAs get rated and ranked?

I hate all the of local media. They are our flagship and fawn on uga all the time and don't hesitate at any opportunity to insult and put us down. I'm sick of these guys and we should petition MBob to ditch them for someone who gives a damn about GT and knows what the hell they're talking about..

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Really there is no excuse for being this poor in recruiting.
Metro Atlanta is ranked 3rd in high school football talent producing D1 prospects.
The state of Georgia only trails California, Texas, & the border state Florida.
GT is offering 4 & 5 * talent.

These types of classes would get coaches fired. I'm not knocking the kids either.
There is just no excuse for this level of poor recruiting. It's not calculus, The Hill, STEM, or otherwise.

I don't know if its arrogance or ineptness. Either way this is poor.
Here's to a ridiculous level of player development, cause that's what gonna be needed.

Could you provide evidence to support the assertion that "It's not calculus, The Hill, STEM, or otherwise." Also, please account for APR and graduation rates if necessary. Thanks.

Of course, if that's just an unfounded opinion without evidence to support it, then that's fine too.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer

Well what is true is that I'm in a much better financial situation now than the Gailey years, but I became a fan during the O'leery years. What it also true is that I don't like the persona that CPJ carries. I personally have met him and think he is an A$$. You can tolerate people like that if they win, but the truth is that he is coming off a 3-9, where he was expected to complete He had a seasoned quarterback, who regressed because the OL looked like they forgot to play football, He blames his D-coordinator a whole lot and I feel HE is too personally connected to a OL coach that should have been released a couple of years ago.

Add onto that our recruiting being lampooned nationally, and the excuses you read on a daily basis on these type of forums and you get disgruntled fans... who don't want to spend money on a program they feel could be in a much better shape but is simply being mismanaged.

In my opinion there is NO WAY we should be losing so many top GA recruits. WE either don't know how to sell our school and the benefits of going there or we don't care.

CPJ could easily change my mind, I didn't dislike him at the beginning, I supported him, cheered for him and even defended him, but after 7 years of data, my conclusion is that we could do better at GaTech

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
The GT won/loss record since 1966 is 302 - 257 - 8. BC and WF type numbers. GT has not been a "Clemson or Florida State in Football" since 1951 through 1956, 59 - 7 - 3.
The program has won 8 or more games 13 times since 1966. The winning percentages for the last 4 coaches (Ross - Johnson ) are 53%, 59%, 58% and 60%.

Unless academics change the won - loss record will not change. And the academics ain't gonna change!

I definitely see and understand everything you have just said. I would counter that by saying there are GREAT academic universities who are able to compete at a high lvl. The only legitimate excuse is the lack of majors at the Institute, and I have only see 2, maybe 3 recruits that choose to go to another school because of a lack of majors. I'm just satisfied with being another wake forest or boston college.

I think Tech could be a consistent top 25 type of program.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yup, we are falling backwards in the HS talent (where talent is high school performance vis a vis bigger, stronger, faster, more agile).

While UGAg had the typical SEC class (9th by total points and 7th by average stars), we had a much weaker class (66th by total points and 53rd by average stars). So to be competitive we would have to develop what we have much better. But that big of disparity isn't usually overcome, as seen by our recent record against UGAg.

Duke ain't no Fluke now. They are also recruiting better and have been .... 33rd by total stars and 29th by average stars. And their out recruiting is also more bothersome to me since that is a better comparison of relative difficulties in school's recruiting.

(Scout data http://www.scout.com/college/georgia-tech/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=14&yr=2016 )
Love navy's posts because they have numbers.
Hate them when the number s hurt.

So duke is now getting better recruits than the school with football awards named after hiesman, dodd, rice , broyles. That's just not right.

Unless duke is going full unc/clem and offering recreation sports something degrees, they are attracting smart athletes that could easily come to gt. Are their recent top recruits special admits?
The last thing we need is for duke to help nd, Stanford take top academically and athletically gifted recruits out of the local and national pool.

Need to improve recruiting/ marketing. big time asap.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest problem we have is the media, they put this UGA drivel out all day everyday on radio. tv and whatever. They portray an image that UGA has a history of being on the scale of Alabama , they never have and never will.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Tech could be a consistent top 25 type of program.

Don't say that too loudly around here...you'll get a bunch historical charts, someone saying something about STEM majors (nevermind 90% of our SAs don't have STEM majors), lack of enough liberal arts majors, APR, the Ratio, Russell uniforms, jocks not wanting to do the school work, GT being in SEC country, Stanford stealing all the good recruits with academic credentials, Duke has majors to hide their SAs in, kids growing up brain washed by all the UGA fans, GT only has a 55,000 seat stadium, the Varsity gives you the poops, the uniform isn't the right shade of gold, too much traffic during rush hour, and so on...